MT getting into reverse problems - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

MT getting into reverse problems

'04 TSX 6 speed MT w/ 110,200 miles starting to develop problems occasionally when shifting into reverse. Sometimes the gears grind going into reverse, other times no problem - shifts smoothly into reverse. On one occasion parking put the gearshift into 1st, turned off the engine, and upon starting up again in neutral, shifted into reverse, and the car would not move. The shifter "locked" in reverse, and couldn't shift into any other gear. Turned off car, let it sit for a couple minutes, turned engine back on and the shifter unlocked, allowing to clutch to engage into 1st. Appreciate any thoughts re: this problem. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

likely the clutch master cylinder. they are problematic, search for the term and you'll see plenty of threads about it. my 06 w/ 160K had similar issues this week, difficult to get into gear, notchy shifts, grinding into reverse, and very difficult to get out of reverse. i replaced the tranny fluid with fresh honda MTF hoping that was the cause, but nothing changed. took it to a honda mechanic and he said he sees it with the TSX master cylinder a lot. picking it up with a new slave and master cylinder in a few hours with hopefully all the shifting issues fixed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Go into first gear and then reverse. Should greatly help.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil804 View Post
likely the clutch master cylinder. they are problematic, search for the term and you'll see plenty of threads about it. my 06 w/ 160K had similar issues this week, difficult to get into gear, notchy shifts, grinding into reverse, and very difficult to get out of reverse. i replaced the tranny fluid with fresh honda MTF hoping that was the cause, but nothing changed. took it to a honda mechanic and he said he sees it with the TSX master cylinder a lot. picking it up with a new slave and master cylinder in a few hours with hopefully all the shifting issues fixed.
I hope you didn't put an OEM master in - they're problematic and have an annoying delay valve. If it's not too late go with an OEM EM2 master cylinder. Make sure to properly adjust your clutch pedal rod/mc too.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Evil - thank you. Should the slave cylinder be replaced at the same time?
TSXXXX - thank you. What/whose is the EM2 cylinder? And what is annoying about the delay valve?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

I went with the A05 revision of the OEM part, wasn't really looking to do the Si's CMC and CSC without the delay valve. i got twin baby girls so 90% of the time i'm driving like a grandma trying to shift as smooth as possible. I prefer a smoother driveline to something as responsive as possible. Blasphemy i know. When they're older i plan to refresh the car to be more of a canyon carver, but for now stock is the best setup for me.

jon - makes sense to do the slave cylinder at the same time. if your master is going then your slave is probably not far behind. typically the slave wears out faster. all my other hondas slaves went around the 100K/10 year mark but masters went forever. the TSX just had a poorly designed master so it wears out quickly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil804 View Post
I went with the A05 revision of the OEM part, wasn't really looking to do the Si's CMC and CSC without the delay valve. i got twin baby girls so 90% of the time i'm driving like a grandma trying to shift as smooth as possible. I prefer a smoother driveline to something as responsive as possible. Blasphemy i know. When they're older i plan to refresh the car to be more of a canyon carver, but for now stock is the best setup for me.

jon - makes sense to do the slave cylinder at the same time. if your master is going then your slave is probably not far behind. typically the slave wears out faster. all my other hondas slaves went around the 100K/10 year mark but masters went forever. the TSX just had a poorly designed master so it wears out quickly.
The delay valve doesn't really make the car smoother though. My car with the EM2 master is way smoother, and I daily drive in Chicago traffic.

The delay valve does exactly what it sounds and delays the fluid from pushing the slave out, and unless you're finessing it all the time and taking your sweet time launching, which it sounds like you are, the opposite effect happens - then you go to shift and the synchros don't have enough time to do their job causing premature wear and in my case a less smooth driving experience.

If you change one you might as well change the other as well since you have to bleed it again, and they have a similar useful lifespan.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

evil - again, thank you.
TSXXXX- thanks again. And what is or who makes the EM2 cylinder you’re using?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I had both the slave and clutch master replaced which fixed this issue. I originally replaced the slave cylinder with a autozone brand and it was good for a few months. Then the issue returned but not as bad. I went ahead and replaced with an OEM slave and master cylinder. The issue hasn't returned since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement