DIY Axle Replacement - Page 3 - Acura TSX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM
#HTinyourcorner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsumeet View Post
I'm replacing the inner joint and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the passenger side off the splines. What's the best place to apply pressure to remove the inner joint off of the extension shaft splines?
It can be a bear to get that one out. You'll need to use different methods...perhaps getting a piece of wood to hammer against to try and knock it out?

Heeltoe Automotive
#HTinyourcorner

Visit Heeltoeauto.com for all your Acura TSX and Honda Accord needs!
Genuine OEM parts at great discount pricing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Wanted to say thanks for posting this. I'm getting some vibration under acceleration as well and am afraid it is the passenger side inner CV. I do am hard parted with funds so going to go with an aftermarket one with a lifetime warranty.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Premium Club Member

I went aftermarket at a Advanced and it still had an issue. Picked up some Gator Axles and they seem to be holding up fine after a full day at Road Atlanta.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Just did my driver's side axle and what worked for me getting the axle loose from the trans was to drive a fat flat head into the gap with a hammer. It came immediately loose. I had been messing with it for 30 minutes and bam...popped loose.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Here are the steps how to step for replacement two CV joint axles

1. Start by disconnecting the battery, jacking up the vehicle and allowing some penetrating oil to soak into any retaining bolts.

2. Moving brake lines and other obstacles out of the way of wrenches is a good bet before beginning.

3. Loosening but not removing the strut top mounts and sway bar end link bushings can provide a bit more suspension travel for easier axle removal.

4. and remove the wheel side axle mounting bolts.

5. Separate the axle from the wheel. Do not allow the axle to hang from the transmission or differential. Oil seals could be damaged.arare

6. Gently pull, pry or otherwise liberate the axle from the transmission or differential. Do not bend axle seals. Be careful not to tear the transmission or differential oil seals.

7. The axle splines on the left show damage. Note the c-clip on both axles.

8. Don't forget to transfer any axle seals, ABS rings or other parts to the replacement axles.

9. Guide the replacement CV joint axle into place. Depending on the type of retainer, the axle should click firmly in place.

10. Always use the proper torque on the axle bolts. Check axle rotation. Reassemble dismantled components.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Want more DIY car maintenance tips? Register now. How to replace CV joint axle. For many years, the much-ballyhooed invention of the wheel has overshadowed the most likely, near-simultaneous invention of an equally important modern innovation: the axle. Without the axle, the wheel would not do anyone much good.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhira1 View Post
Want more DIY car maintenance tips? Register now. How to replace CV joint axle. For many years, the much-ballyhooed invention of the wheel has overshadowed the most likely, near-simultaneous invention of an equally important modern innovation: the axle. Without the axle, the wheel would not do anyone much good.
Admins handle this guy please

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

All front wheel drive and independent rear suspension cars utilize a CV axle to deliver power from the engine to the wheels. These CV axles have six balls inside a CV joint that acts as a universal that allows extreme movement while delivering smooth rotational energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement