Acura TSX Forum banner

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+ vs.GoodYear Assurance ComforTred vs.Continental PureContact

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Acurian 
#1 · (Edited)
I am considering these 3 options as I'm buying All-Season Touring tires. I have done hours of online research but now I need real-world / practical feedback from peeps who have actually used these tires on their TSX.

Any recommendations / reviews would be appreciated.

2005 TSX - 215/50R17

#2 ·
Senior auto tech at a tire/service shop for 13+ years. Depends on how you drive, how much you drive, and your own driving preferences to be honest. My personal input on those 3 choices: The Pirellis are decent enough but overpriced for what you get, they mark up their all seasons because of their racing heritage as a company, everyone knows who Pirelli is, but Pirelli on on the sidewall of an all-season does not a racing tire make. Goodyear Assurance? Garbage. Don't waste your money. Take into account most reviews you will read online or hear from people in person are not coming from the standpoint of "car people", they're coming from Point A to Point B drivers. Seriously, don't consider the the Goodyears. Contis are a personal preference type deal, some people swear by them, some people hate them, some just don't care either way. My thoughts? Not my cup of tea.

Is there a reason that these are the only 3 choices you've mentioned? If that's all they have in stock in your size then realize they are absolutely trying to just sell you what they have on hand so they can make the sale as quick as possible. If they carry other brands/versions of tires and CAN GET your size then I suggest you make that happen. For the TSX, which is a luxury sport sedan, if you want to preserve the feeling you got from the factory tires or have even better handling then I'll leave my 2 cents for you.

If you're lowered at all, Nitto Neogen is absolutely the best thing you can buy if you're comfortable with not getting 90k miles out of your tires. If you're driving bone stock then the Nitto Motivo or Michelin Pilot MXM4 is what you're after. If you aren't at all concerned about handling or top speed and want the best ride and treadwear then pick up a set of Michelin Defenders. If you have any more questions by all means feel free to ask.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. My old OEM Primacy MXM4s have issues with flat-spotting and dry rot. So I don't want to get them again.

The 3 options I am considering are due to my needs. I want All-season Grand Tourings with soft, quiet and comfortable ride with decent handling / wet traction. After doing some research on tire- rack, I narrowed it down to these 3. Most of my driving is on the highway ~70%.

My ride is bone stock.

I am leaning towards the Contis. Could you elaborate further on the issues you had with the PureContacts?

#5 ·
Believe it or not, I had to replace 3 PureContacts a year.. 2 bubbled, 1 blew at the sidewall.

They damaged too easily by even small potholes, to a point where 2 of my wheels are bent.

I never had this issue with the DWS or Contiprocontact, I will avoid future Contis that have EcoPlus tech. Low rolling resistance tires probably are too stiff...

I regretted not getting the DWS.

#6 ·
Conti purecontacts are great tires. The sidewalls are very SOFT...not hard. That may be why you're bubbling them and bending rims. Though, I'm not sure you can fairly blame the tires for your driving. The obvious advice would be to not hit potholes so hard or so often.

I would definitely do the conti's out of those 3 choices. My dad drives lots of highway ....and lots of inner city as well. He's had them on his car a while. He also bubbled one...but because he hit a curb. The tire wasn't to blame for that. He's hit plenty of potholes around the city of Chicago.

He's been very happy with them overall. Their snow traction is impressive for an all season. They're a little more noisy than Michelins...but I can't think of any Michelin touring tires that I'd actually want.

They seem to be lasting a long time. I want to say he's got about 30K on them. I just did his brakes a few days ago and they were probably still at 8/32" of tread. I think they start at 10/32. I'm guessing he'll get another 50K out of them before they become un-viable for winter use.

#7 ·
I can fairly put some blame towards the tires, I will tell you why. I lived in 2 potholed cities, Buffalo and Boston. I had Hankooks V12 Ventus, those are terrible in snow. I had DWS, those are awesome in snow but handling is not as sharp. ContiProContacts, they were alright, Pure Contacts, they are good in snow, but all my bursting and bubbling issue started right after I had the PureContacts. PureContacts sidewalls are not very soft, they are pretty stiff (that is why they are low rolling resistance tire) but weak.

In more than 10 years of driving, I have never bubbled and blew a tire (I only had to use a spare tire once due to nail on the DWS), but I manage to damage 3 PureContacts in 6 months.
It's not like I purposely hit the potholes, they tend to be new potholes that develop over time on 30 mph roads. I actually had to under inflate the front PureContacts to 30psi to overcome this pothole issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.