Front End Knock - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Front End Knock

Hi guys,

So for the past few months (3-6) I have been having this loud knocking noise coming from the front passenger side, almost as if it was inside the glove box. I spent a lot of time checking out TSX tech sites on some possible insight to my situation but to no avail. Some say suspension, some say motor mounts, a few other random suggestions as well.
Last week I took the liberty of taking my car to a repair shop to get their diagnosis on the loud clunk over bumps. This noise happens every time I drive, its to the point that I can find an imperfection in the road and can make the car replicate it. I originally thought it was the motor mount since handling has not changed nor has ride quality, but the shop went over the mounts and tightened up the suspension. After a week of fiddling with the car on the road and on two different lifts, he finally came back to me and said there is play in the steering rack and he can get a light clunking noise out of it by pressing on the passenger side rod. He said he can replace the rack for roughly $2k ~gross~
Before I bite the bullet, I figured I'd ask the Honda/Acura community.
I found the steering rack issue to be common among 1st gen TSX's and that Acura fixed the issue with a recall, I was wondering if the recall affected 2011's as well or if there is some aftermarket equipment I can install to relieve the noise.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
2011 Acura TSX base, Tein street basis coilovers, 245x40r18 continental dws06's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogenitz69 View Post
Hi guys,

So for the past few months (3-6) I have been having this loud knocking noise coming from the front passenger side, almost as if it was inside the glove box. I spent a lot of time checking out TSX tech sites on some possible insight to my situation but to no avail. Some say suspension, some say motor mounts, a few other random suggestions as well.
Last week I took the liberty of taking my car to a repair shop to get their diagnosis on the loud clunk over bumps. This noise happens every time I drive, its to the point that I can find an imperfection in the road and can make the car replicate it. I originally thought it was the motor mount since handling has not changed nor has ride quality, but the shop went over the mounts and tightened up the suspension. After a week of fiddling with the car on the road and on two different lifts, he finally came back to me and said there is play in the steering rack and he can get a light clunking noise out of it by pressing on the passenger side rod. He said he can replace the rack for roughly $2k ~gross~
Before I bite the bullet, I figured I'd ask the Honda/Acura community.
I found the steering rack issue to be common among 1st gen TSX's and that Acura fixed the issue with a recall, I was wondering if the recall affected 2011's as well or if there is some aftermarket equipment I can install to relieve the noise.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
2011 Acura TSX base, Tein street basis coilovers, 245x40r18 continental dws06's

From what I understand, the power steering recall for the 1st gens was for the high pressure hose leaking and catching fire. I'd check your exhaust to make sure everything is tight. It's in the area and could be the slightest bit loose. Otherwise, I got nothing. Possible another forum member could chime in. Good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Lift the passengers side up with a jack, or your oem jack in your trunk. Shake the wheel left to right holding onto 9 and 2, checking for wheel play. also up and down with your hands 12 to 6.

you'll have a much better idea from there.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

So I came across a thread that discusses a TSB about faulty ball joints causing a clunking on erratic surfaces when driving in warm weather and is temporarily silenced after the car has been up on a lift.
This fits the description very accurately. After I got my car back the noise had gone away for a few days and then returned once the weather was nice again.
I called my local Acura dealership to check if the service had been completed and they said that service is not shared between dealerships so they couldn't tell if that tsb was performed but they could tell me if there were any pending recalls (thankfully none). I wonder if it would be worth it for me to look in to aftermarket adjustable ball joints

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg204 View Post
Lift the passengers side up with a jack, or your oem jack in your trunk. Shake the wheel left to right holding onto 9 and 2, checking for wheel play. also up and down with your hands 12 to 6.

you'll have a much better idea from there.

So yesterday I used the factory jack to swap my stock wheels on while I get a tire replaced, when I was taking off my front passenger side (where the noise come from) I figured I'd try this out. My results;

Absolutely zero play side to side, up & down. Then I took the wheel off. I noticed some corrosion going on where the wheels don't touch the hubs. Obviously normal but I cleaned them off since the stock wheels were going back on.
Next was to inspect the ball joints. They look almost brand new. Rubber in great condition and no movement whatsoever.
Next was to start tugging on all the moving components to feel for some play. First item I grabbed was the steering rod. I gave it a tug, a push, a kick, and a violent shake. No noise, no play, not the steering rack. Next I grabbed the upper control arm, the coilover, lower control arm, no play. Everything was tight which explains why I feel no loss in handling,steering, & ride quality (except the loud clunking noise that seems to be getting much much worse. I was about to give up when I decided to grab the axle. Immediately when lifted up on a clunk noise was present. HOORAY!

Now I have one more question. I was browsing looking for replacements and came across a HealToe axle boot replacement upgrade that supposedly helps with axle damage caused by harsh angles on lowered TSX's. The issue though is that it is listed for the 04-08 models. Will this part work? Are the axles identical?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The part(s) in question
https://www.heeltoeauto.com/drivetra...joint.cl9.html

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

No Update. Have yet to order the part as I'm still waiting for some other input.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any update? Have you changed inner axle joints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement