Looking to buy a short ram intake. - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Looking to buy a short ram intake.

Im planing on buying this as my first mod to my engine... My tsx is currently stock and i want to do a few things to make it sound aggressive and increase HP.

Has anyone tried these ram intakes? I plan on keeping stock exhaust as well and maybe getting a honda flash pro..
What do you guys think?

K&N Typhoon Intake - Reviews on K&N 69 Series Typhoon Cold Air Intake Kits & Short Ram Intakes

or this

Takeda Cold Air Intake Systems - Intakes Installation Reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I have the K&N Typhoon on my 2014. I originally bought the K&N panel filter to use after I removed the intake resonator. Never opened the box as I purchased the Typhoon intake. Would sell the panel filter for $40 shipped. OEM intake is loud once the resonator is removed. Typhoon is similar. Typhoon install is easy without the need to take the resonator out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	16489  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Picture without heat shield
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	16497  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Premium Club Member

I installed that same Takeda Cold Air Intake last weekend and it was easy as hell to install the short ram air version. It's a little bit louder than the stock intake, it looks awesome and it isn't that expensive either. The only thing is, if you are going to be installing the entire system and not just the short ram air version then you will have to remove the front bumper or jack up the car and remove the front driver side wheel to get the resonator out. Installing an intake is probably the easiest engine mod you can do. lol It took me a couple minutes to put mine in. But even if you don't know a lot about cars the instructions are self explanatory and there are plenty of youtube videos and other aids. Here is what the short ram air intake for the Takeda looks like... (my car)...

I'm your guy for anything dealing with Photoshop!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

FTR I had the Takeda SRI in my 3.5 Altima that I just sold. I was unimpressed with the fit and finish of the parts and all the rubber hosing experienced dry rot within 3 years. I think I'll stick with K&N for my TSX, the price difference isn't that great.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurveyz View Post
I installed that same Takeda Cold Air Intake last weekend and it was easy as hell to install the short ram air version. It's a little bit louder than the stock intake, it looks awesome and it isn't that expensive either. The only thing is, if you are going to be installing the entire system and not just the short ram air version then you will have to remove the front bumper or jack up the car and remove the front driver side wheel to get the resonator out. Installing an intake is probably the easiest engine mod you can do. lol It took me a couple minutes to put mine in. But even if you don't know a lot about cars the instructions are self explanatory and there are plenty of youtube videos and other aids. Here is what the short ram air intake for the Takeda looks like... (my car)...
did you notice any difference ?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I'm looking to buy a short ram intake for my 05 tsx, 140,000 miles on the odometer, any suggestions?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Get a known brand, they all generally do the same thing. I'm gonna go with HPS, or INJEN in about a couple months after I pay off my suspension parts!
I just like their brand

~ 1st Gen TSX A Spec Owner, 2004. ~
Greddy Full Catback Exhaust
Debadged Emblems
Plastidipped Chrome Trim & Grille
K-tuned Shifter Cable Bushing
CT Short Shifter
Slotted & Drilled Rotors + Ceramic Brake Pads
Plastidipped Black Silverstar Rims & 2005 OEM Rims

Wants
Hondata Reflash
Shifter Base Bushings
Coilovers
OEM / Mugen Window Visors

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:54 AM
@fsocietytsx
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

With the amount of money you spend on a SRI for very little gains I would advise you to just buy stainless steel piping (size of your choice) and spend $50-$70 on a good filter (of your choice) and you will have a complete intake for under $100 giving you the same output as a "branded pipe".
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I went with Injen CARB legal SRI but as bcp mentions, its all the same crap. The $40 one off ebay, buy your own piping, Injen, etc... its not doing anything special. I will admit, the Injen SRI does LOOK better but that would be about it, I would imagine.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Mike V

Send a message via Yahoo to mv1luv
those oil type filter elements are notorious for making a mess inside the throttle body.. most people over oil them and the excess gets sucked into the T/B.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 PM
SW Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp0715 View Post
With the amount of money you spend on a SRI for very little gains I would advise you to just buy stainless steel piping (size of your choice) and spend $50-$70 on a good filter (of your choice) and you will have a complete intake for under $100 giving you the same output as a "branded pipe".
What do you do about the emission portions of the intake if you do that? It won’t make sense to do this bc then you’ll end up modding the piping and get leaks galore. You should just by one already done for you and has manufacturing guarantee.

Wagonista!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:48 PM
SW Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurveyz View Post

Did the takeda come with the o2 sensor thing or did you mod that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
I have the K&N Typhoon on my 2014. I originally bought the K&N panel filter to use after I removed the intake resonator. Never opened the box as I purchased the Typhoon intake. Would sell the panel filter for $40 shipped. OEM intake is loud once the resonator is removed. Typhoon is similar. Typhoon install is easy without the need to take the resonator out.
What did you do with the 02 sensor on top of he intake? I tried removing mine but car started for a few seconds and then puttered off.

Wagonista!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 PM
@fsocietytsx
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDelgado80 View Post
What do you do about the emission portions of the intake if you do that? It won’t make sense to do this bc then you’ll end up modding the piping and get leaks galore. You should just by one already done for you and has manufacturing guarantee.
The intake will not have an effect on emissions, it still has a standard vacuum. If done properly you will not have any leaks, even under forced induction. I would rather do this any day than buy an intake. Piping is piping, it's the filter that has more of an influence; and even that is minimal difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement