1Likes
  • 1 Post By shandalo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Throttle Body Spacer + Injen Cold Air Intake

Hey guys

Big newbie here but me and my dad have been around cars for a while

Our weekend project is to install Silver Bullet Throttle Body Space and Injen Cold Air Intake...

I've seen some videos online about installing both separately. But I have a question.

In this one

He kind of just shoves the CAI back in there and the one mounting bracket is kind of bending (because you've extended the dimensions of where the CAI is attaching) and he kind of just goes with it but the bracket looks like it is barely hanging on.

I've read online other places you are supposed to trim the rubber gasket attaching the CAI to Body spacer

Is that correct? What do you use to trim it with? Or have others just said screw it and just shove the whole thing in there to try and make it fit.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Return them both - hit up heel toe they are offering the CT airbox now - if you have to go big pipe AEM is still king, spacer does nothing except heat up and cause turbulence where it's a bad thing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 AM
@fsocietytsx
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

Do what you have to do and make it fit. Whether it's trim the gasket or extend the bracket. If you don't need the spacer I wouldn't run it, but that's my opinion. I once ran a 20mm spacer but that's because I needed to move the TB. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bartow View Post
Hey guys

Big newbie here but me and my dad have been around cars for a while

Our weekend project is to install Silver Bullet Throttle Body Space and Injen Cold Air Intake...

I've seen some videos online about installing both separately. But I have a question.

In this one

He kind of just shoves the CAI back in there and the one mounting bracket is kind of bending (because you've extended the dimensions of where the CAI is attaching) and he kind of just goes with it but the bracket looks like it is barely hanging on.

I've read online other places you are supposed to trim the rubber gasket attaching the CAI to Body spacer

Is that correct? What do you use to trim it with? Or have others just said screw it and just shove the whole thing in there to try and make it fit.

Cheers!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:46 PM
-

No matter how shiny or pretty the throttle body spacer is, it will do absolutely nothing, so don't buy one nor install one.

Bypassing the throttle body coolant lines is a better mod that costs nothing.

A cold air intake is a good mod since the 1st gen TSX has a factory hot air intake.

A DIY cold air intake is cheapest and as effective as anything you can buy for mildly modified 2.4L TSX.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (both resonators removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:09 PM
IG: CU2.Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitsports View Post
Return them both - hit up heel toe they are offering the CT airbox now - if you have to go big pipe AEM is still king, spacer does nothing except heat up and cause turbulence where it's a bad thing.
CT Icebox wont be out until spring.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

ICB has it in stock in carbon right now - you can also remove the factory resonator box and snorkel for the time being.

https://www.icbmotorsport.com/cteniccoairi1.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryTSX View Post
No matter how shiny or pretty the throttle body spacer is, it will do absolutely nothing, so don't buy one nor install one.

Bypassing the throttle body coolant lines is a better mod that costs nothing.

A cold air intake is a good mod since the 1st gen TSX has a factory hot air intake.

A DIY cold air intake is cheapest and as effective as anything you can buy for mildly modified 2.4L TSX.
Seconded.

My first mod to my 04 was removing the massive resonator box and using bits of the OEM intake to make a cold air that pulls from the drivers fender. My IATs dropped from ambient +30 or +40 down to ambient +7 to +12. Cost: $2 for a gear clamp big enough to hold the rubber elbow on the bottom of the airbox, since it and the piping attached occasionally fell down inside my fender without the clamp.

Second mod was the TB coolant bypass. Could easily feel the difference in temperature on the manifold and TB by touch. Wish I'd had a temp laser to check before and after, but nonetheless it was another $2 mod that helped significantly.
CalgaryTSX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement