Tsx in (limp mode) HELP - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Tsx in (limp mode) HELP

So i recently purchased a 2009 tsx with the k24 (2.4l - 4 cylinder) 155k miles *(other than being lowered the car is completely stock) initially the car ran and drove great put a full tank of 93gas in it tightened the gas cap and drove home the next morning i went to start it then i got a check emissions system and vsa light , cycled the key on and off and even pulled the posts off the battery hoping to reset the codes no luck. I then drove to autozone and got the codes pulled, in order they were ,
- p0301 cylinder 1 misfire
- p0339 crankshaft position
(Sensor circuit intermittant interruption)
- p0302 cylinder 2 misfire
- p0303 cylinder 3 misfire and-
- p0300 random misfire
The car takes almost 5 seconds to start as if the car is starving for fuel initially
The battery is sitting at 13.2 volts and doesnt reduce past 12.5 when trying to crank, but i must add the car runs great while its running
Not only does the car show emissions and vsa it goes in limp mode , essentially wont let the car rev past 3000 rpms also
Intermittently when i start it it shows check emissions, vsa , and power steering and i cant turn the steering wheel (car has electronic power steering)
So things thats ive done so far i bought and installed brand new coil pack,spark plugs, crank position sensor and did a fresh oil change no luck, so we hooked up a scanner cleared the codes, they come back but a few of the times we repeated this process the car started quickly as it should so we repeated the start and shutoff process quite a few times to see if the codes would come back, everytime they did the car would take 5 seconds the code pops up and then it starts. So where im at now from some of the research ive done is to maybe, relearn the crankshaft position sensor or swap injectors around , if those dont work which im not 100% confident they will, if they dont i will be out of ideas, im going to try those last two things i stated and get back on here.
Crossing my fingers someone on here has had a similar issue or know where to looks thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Did you replace only 1 coil pack? How do you know the others are not shot as well?
I received the check emissions and VSA light once when my TSX was low on oil (burning too much) and after I started monitoring much closer. This may have been the cause to my eventual timing chain/tensioner failure but cannot be sure. It almost seems like you have some internal engine damage. When you changed the oil, do you remember the quantity coming out being very low? In my case, I added more oil and the light went away after a few cycles. My guess is that the motor was low on oil for quite some time and perhaps the chain stretched and the tensioner could not compensate. I would look into this; you may have valve damage which will cause a poor running motor due to low compression. This is an extreme case, but not out of the question.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.A.C.U.R.A View Post
Did you replace only 1 coil pack? How do you know the others are not shot as well?
I received the check emissions and VSA light once when my TSX was low on oil (burning too much) and after I started monitoring much closer. This may have been the cause to my eventual timing chain/tensioner failure but cannot be sure. It almost seems like you have some internal engine damage. When you changed the oil, do you remember the quantity coming out being very low? In my case, I added more oil and the light went away after a few cycles. My guess is that the motor was low on oil for quite some time and perhaps the chain stretched and the tensioner could not compensate. I would look into this; you may have valve damage which will cause a poor running motor due to low compression. This is an extreme case, but not out of the question.

I replaced just one yes but tried in in each cylinder and rescanned the obd each time to see if there was change in what or which codes came up , no difference , as for when i changed the oil when i got it the oil was dark but not low there was probably 4-3/4 quarts in her.
I will eventually look into things like valve lash etc, but the car runs great , and still and drove great prior to these lights coming on , im leaning more into inspecting sensors,ecm, egr , injectors or something along that type of vibe at thd moment

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

G2 Known Engine Issues

Do you know if the timing chain has ever been replaced? If not it is surely stretched and could easily cause serious timing issues. Common problem on the 2009 & 2010 models. Coil pack errors can be related to the head gasket. Same year TSX's have known issues with fluid getting into the cylinders.

I had errors on my #3 cylinder. Pulled the spark plug. Then cranked the engine. Radiator fluid blew out so I knew the gasket was bad.

The other known issue on the 09 & 10 are the piston rings. They get carbon buildup and then you go through a lot of oil. Easily fry the engine if you don't check the level quite often.

Acura knows all about these issues. But unless you have serviced your vehicle with them ... they turn a blind eye. At least they did with me.

I found a 2014 engine with 20,000 miles and dropped it in. Lesson learned. Never buy a car that is from the first 2-3 years of a new generation!!

So I'm not saying what happened to my 2010 engine at 127,000 miles is what's wrong with yours. But I would pull each spark plug one at a time, crank it, and see what happens. Good luck.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Is your tsx 5at or 6mt? I had the exact same problem when I bought my 2010 6mt(she just got totaled out. some @ss wasnt paying attention and rear ended my baby R.I.P&#x1f622. Turned out that someone installed a light weight flywheel which is a no no one these 2gen tsx and 2012+ civic si. Any moderate acceleration would trigger limp mode with emission and vsa light. Ecu could somehow sense the inertia of the flywheel was off. Just a thought. But of course it requires removal of trans to inspect so hopefully your crank sensor is the culprit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srrvvr2010 View Post
Do you know if the timing chain has ever been replaced? If not it is surely stretched and could easily cause serious timing issues. Common problem on the 2009 & 2010 models. Coil pack errors can be related to the head gasket. Same year TSX's have known issues with fluid getting into the cylinders.

I had errors on my #3 cylinder. Pulled the spark plug. Then cranked the engine. Radiator fluid blew out so I knew the gasket was bad.

The other known issue on the 09 & 10 are the piston rings. They get carbon buildup and then you go through a lot of oil. Easily fry the engine if you don't check the level quite often.

Acura knows all about these issues. But unless you have serviced your vehicle with them ... they turn a blind eye. At least they did with me.

I found a 2014 engine with 20,000 miles and dropped it in. Lesson learned. Never buy a car that is from the first 2-3 years of a new generation!!

So I'm not saying what happened to my 2010 engine at 127,000 miles is what's wrong with yours. But I would pull each spark plug one at a time, crank it, and see what happens. Good luck.
Not sure about the timing chain at all but ill deff look into it and also pull the plugs cross fingers and try that. i literally just bought the car and got to drive it home and to the gym 1 time before it messed up so im beyond pissed about all this shit but can only try to move forward on it at this point, and hope that its not at the motor swap point yet , what are the k24 motors going for roughly ?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:

Also as i said i just got the car so im not sure on oil consumption yet but when i bought it i did a oil change and the oil was pretty dark (hopefully meaning it had a fair amount of miles on it) was not any more than about a half quart low.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktsx10 View Post
Is your tsx 5at or 6mt? I had the exact same problem when I bought my 2010 6mt(she just got totaled out. some @ss wasnt paying attention and rear ended my baby R.I.P😢" class="inlineimg" />. Turned out that someone installed a light weight flywheel which is a no no one these 2gen tsx and 2012+ civic si. Any moderate acceleration would trigger limp mode with emission and vsa light. Ecu could somehow sense the inertia of the flywheel was off. Just a thought. But of course it requires removal of trans to inspect so hopefully your crank sensor is the culprit.
Not sure on if its a 5at or 6mt ill check in minute but when you say same exsact problem do you mean same as everything i described because mine isnt in limp mode upon just acceleration its in park too, moving or just started it all that
(Edit) probably should think about what im reading car is 5 speed auto dont believe its been played with
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

I got my engine out of Fontana CA. $700 plus $300 shipping. Well worth it. Side damage to car at drivers door. Engine compartment untouched. Most engines I looked at were in cars with major front end damage. Radiator up against the engine. Upside to a Cali engine ... no salt corrosion or concern with flood damage from the east coast, Florida or Texas. Engines with way more miles were as much or more than what I paid. Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. Salvage yards all over the US post parts there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsxontheground View Post
Quote:

Also as i said i just got the car so im not sure on oil consumption yet but when i bought it i did a oil change and the oil was pretty dark (hopefully meaning it had a fair amount of miles on it) was not any more than about a half quart low.
So i just pulled plugs and turned over got no coolant in there all seemed well ,
Im thinking its something with egr intake or electrical, another note i just pulled the vacuum line coming off the brake booster into the intake manifold and put about 4 ounces of seafoam in there and all my codes went away then my "(low tire pressure light came on for the front passenger tire) checjed that it was at 32 psi so it baffled me it did get cold this morning here in central florida , so the car ran good no codes except tire pressure for about 10 minutes then it had a short hessitation and check emission, vsa , check codes came back , scratching my head here , any usefull info is much apreciated
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Update ran a compression test about 153 all 4 cylinders cold
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Compression numbers seem good, as long as all the values are within 10% of each cylinder reading. What brand did you replace the one coil pack with? Did you make sure all of the connectors are connected and tight for the coil packs and the crankshaft sensor? If the misfire codes are coming back, it could be that the new coil pack is faulty or the others are faulty. I would recheck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

The codes you mention in your first post are the same codes I had prior to replacing the timing chain. 0339 makes sense if the chain is stretched. Saw my Honda mechanic over the weekend and he reiterated excessive stretching is very common on the 2009 and 2010 TSX's.

It'd be great if you could find out if any of the previous owners replaced it. Good Luck

- p0301 cylinder 1 misfire
- p0339 crankshaft position
(Sensor circuit intermittent interruption)
- p0302 cylinder 2 misfire
- p0303 cylinder 3 misfire and-
- p0300 random misfire
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Bardi

Garage
This sounds like cam timing sensor and crank sensor arent in sync. Take the valve cover off and turn the crankshaft over. Look at the timing marks on your cam gear. Make sure they like up. Check for chain slop on the front side of the engine (intake side) as you're moving the crankshaft. The chain should be tight. If you can get your finger in between the chain and the guides then the chain is due for a replacement.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Thanks for any usefull advice but it literally was the starter , brand new "oem approved starter" was a pos i had to get an actual oem starter from acura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement