Acura TSX Forum banner

Car is overheating at idle ONLY w/AC, and driving hard w/AC

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dewish 
#1 ·
So I know it can only be a few culprits

15-20k ago in it's 90k life, I got into an accident; the entire front end was redone (radiator, hoses, etc).

My '09 TSX overheats while either stopped with the AC on, or driving pretty hard in city situations (7/10 times with the windows down a bit).

With the AC off, same situations the gauge within 1-2 minute returns to normal and it has never gone in my driving it gone over 3/4; this was in heavy highway and city traffic/driving. It normally sits slightly below the logo, sometimes I look down it's on top of it or going above it barely.

All of my fans work, my fins r clean liquid seems good in terms of air bubbles, because this hasn't happened in the winter or last summer. I don't know if the water pump was replaced in the accident. Thus I'm assuming it's the AC compressor?

Most of you will probably know more about this car mechanically than me so hopefully someone can lead me in the right route TIA ?

#3 ·
Not familiar with a 2G, but on the 1G (and many other Hondas/Acuras I've worked on) there is a temp sensor (that has nothing to do with gauge display) at the bottom left of the radiator, which controls the fans. It is overridden (auto fans) when AC compressor is engaged.
Are you absolutely sure the fans are functioning while car is idling with AC off? If not, I would check to make sure this sensor is present (not a plug in the radiator) and is plugged in. If both I would check the sensor is functioning properly with a volt meter when coolant cold and hot (200F or so).
Over the years I've only seen this sensor fail once, but it is possible. Most often I've seen this issue in friend's or family member's car when they come back from front end collision repair (replacement radiator usually). This sensor is often overlooked; either left unplugged or even not installed on the new radiator.

Hopefully it's as simple as this!

#6 ·
Can you snap a pic of your engine bay/radiator looking down towards the coolant hoses?

The A/C relies on the Condenser, which is ahead of the radiator, for the heat exchange that gives you air conditioning in the cabin. Air passing though the condenser becomes warm before it hits the radiator and in the summer, it’s more difficult for the radiator to give up its heat.

With the engine hot, and a/c on, your fans should be running at high speed. Is this the case? Do you notice 2 fan speeds?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.