Acura TSX Forum - View Single Post - F'd up Timing Chain Tensioner Install
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM
rcy
Registered Member

Been there, but I have a local mechanic (I'm in Burlington, Ontario, Canada if anyone needs) who's very knowledgeable in Honda / Acura. In fact he has an Integra with 6 or 7 hundred thousand KM on it.

Anyway, I thought I'd replace the timing chain tensioner myself last October and after doing it, the car wouldn't start. I knew right away that I had fubar'd it, so I didn't keep trying to get it to run in order not to damage the valves / pistons. Pulled the valve cover off and sure enough the timing marks were off by 2 or 3 teeth.

Fortunately, for me, I was working at a Mercedes dealership and the owner's also owned a Honda/Acura dealership (plus Audi, VW, Subaru etc. etc.), which got me 25 percent off on parts (which in Canada was probably still more expensive than you guys in the States pay, lol).

My mechanic checked in whatever book it is that mechanics check for the labour time to charge and told me 5 hours labour. I thought that was great (have you seen how little room there is to work on the timing chain with the engine not removed?)

I wasn't going to do the VTC actuator, but the parts guy at the Acura dealership and my mechanic said I might as well, since it would be right there and accessible (kind of like when you do the water pump when you do a timing belt job on the Acura 3.5 V6).

Too late now for you (and I know you said you had to source the parts through them), but those prices are ridiculous - Even in Canada, without a discount, the tensioner is around $90. If you check online, you can find many Acura dealers offering the parts for less (i.e - VTC actuator is $195 US online. Also, it looks like they either charged you for an extra guide (you have $29.99 x 2 ) or you mistakenly listed it twice in your post. As best as I can tell, there are only 3 guides in total (one of which they call an 'arm').

Still, though, with all that new stuff, you're good for another 250 000 miles probably...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome