G35 Coupe (DE or HR) VS TL Type-S - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
G35 Coupe (DE or HR) VS TL Type-S

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I plan on selling my TSX within a year or 2 for a more powerful V6 car. So far I went from narrowing down from a list of:

RSX Type-S, Genesis Coupe BK1, IS350 2005-2013, TL Type-S, G35 Coupe, Hawkeye STi

To my final 2:

Infiniti G35 Coupe VS Acura TL Type-S

Both share very near identical performance and in a race, it seems to be a driver's race. I plan on getting either of these as my FIRST manual car (yay I hope I don't destroy the clutch). What are your opinions and justifications for these two beauties?

2004 Acura TSX - 5AT

CT Engineering Icebox
Custom (Hondata) Reflash - thank you littlebo!
(FUTURE) UR Lightweight Pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

I had a G35 Coupe 6MT before my TSX 6MT. The Infiniti's clutch was horrible and would be a bad first manual vehicle. Although the G was faster, I feel my TSX is the much better car. I love the TL Type S but have heard those clutches are not that easy either, which is odd for a Honda product. The 6MT really makes a difference on the TSX in terms of acceleration, so you might want to check one out. In auto, G35 over TL and Tsx in my opinion. In stick, one of the Acura's any day of the week.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRas900 View Post
I had a G35 Coupe 6MT before my TSX 6MT. The Infiniti's clutch was horrible and would be a bad first manual vehicle. Although the G was faster, I feel my TSX is the much better car. I love the TL Type S but have heard those clutches are not that easy either, which is odd for a Honda product. The 6MT really makes a difference on the TSX in terms of acceleration, so you might want to check one out. In auto, G35 over TL and Tsx in my opinion. In stick, one of the Acura's any day of the week.
What would you deem as an uneasy clutch? Only asking since I have never been exposed to a manual outside of my dad's DC1 Integra.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Garage
I had a tl type s for a little bit (2008 factory aspec). I loved the car so much and wish I sold my tsx over selling that. I will say that the type s was one of the first manual cars I drove for an extended period of time (had a gsr integra for a little bit) and I loved the clutch in it. I believe it was an exedy stage 1 and it felt amazing. I tell every tsx owner looking to upgrade that the type s is one of their best options and I stand by that 100%.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetopgeardog View Post
I had a tl type s for a little bit (2008 factory aspec). I loved the car so much and wish I sold my tsx over selling that. I will say that the type s was one of the first manual cars I drove for an extended period of time (had a gsr integra for a little bit) and I loved the clutch in it. I believe it was an exedy stage 1 and it felt amazing. I tell every tsx owner looking to upgrade that the type s is one of their best options and I stand by that 100%.
Damn it is a hard choice man. G35 Coupe not only for the sexy VQ-note but also its sexy, sleek and sporty shape.

TL Type-S as that sexy, sleeper sedan that nobody seems to take seriously until they race one.

My choice will come down to a test-drive between the two.

2004 Acura TSX - 5AT

CT Engineering Icebox
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

The G35's clutch is very stiff, with minimal room for error as the catch point is quite high in the travel. Miss it and you stall. Additionally the trans was notch. I've had 2 Saabs, a Mazda, the G35 and TSX in manual. The only car I would have preferred an auto in was the G. Definitely try one, as your thoughts might be different. If you don't like the trans like me, you might still like the car enough to overcome that aspect. The looks, sounds and performance were awesome.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Why are you worried about what’s faster or what will win in race?

Go drive both at a used car lots and see which car you prefer as a whole. The interior, the over quality, and drivetrain traits can only be felt by driving the car yourself. Get which ever one feels best for you. Neither will be fast anyway, but fun enough for some freeway on ramps.

06 | CGP | NAVI | 6SP
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude View Post
Why are you worried about what’s faster or what will win in race?

Go drive both at a used car lots and see which car you prefer as a whole. The interior, the over quality, and drivetrain traits can only be felt by driving the car yourself. Get which ever one feels best for you. Neither will be fast anyway, but fun enough for some freeway on ramps.
I know they are not the fastest cars out there man. It is not my main concern; it is just a way of looking at these two beauties. I am not expecting myself to destroy a Porsche anytime soon with these

A test drive will solve this duel once and for all! Muahahahahah...

Until I get rid of my stupid "rookie" license and get my full license in 2 months

2004 Acura TSX - 5AT

CT Engineering Icebox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement