Just started shopping for a 1st gen - Page 2 - Acura TSX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandalo View Post
Congrats again on your purchase!

Drill and sandpaper trick? I've not heard of this...

Asthetics/Performance:

Lowering: Lots of options depending on your goal and budget. Personally I have Tein Flex Z. These are budget coilovers for sure but at least made by a reputable company. They feel pretty good with some increased preload, rebound is a little stiff but there is definitely worse being sold for a higher price.

Wheels: I highly recommend losing weight here, it will do way more than pullies. I recently picked up some used 17x8 +48 wheels that weigh about 16lbs each, coupled with 235/50/17 Continental DWS tires (mild fender roll required for this size, 225/45 would work without a roll) my wheel/tire combo went from 49lbs (OEM wheels) per corner to 39lbs per corner... And the difference is night and day.

Intake: You can do a DIY cold air that deletes the huge resonator box and uses stock airbox and piping, costs you nothing but some time, and increases both noise and power. The power probably comes from lowering your IATs by 30-40°F. I would also recommend doing a throttle body coolant bypass to further compliment the reduced IATs. Both of these mods together should cost you less than $10.

Pullies: Tons of options here, but ralco pullies are cheap and OBO on eBay. They also make OEM sized so you don't have to underdrive your accessories if you don't want to.

Header: Serge bo here in the forums builds an excellent header, that fits to OEM catback without any chopping or welding. He also includes a test pipe with flex joint if you want to delete your catalytic converter.

Flash: Serge bo can also flash your vehicle remotely, and all accounts say his flash is superior to the Hondata flash, which requires downtime/shipping of your ECU.

Hope this helps!
You get a bolt with the same thread as the shift knob. Attach it to the knob and put it in a drill. Hold a piece of sand paper in your palm and start the drill. Gives it a nice circled brushed look or you can go to town with finer sand paper and polish if you prefer.

I haven't really looked into any of these mods yet. The performance mods I listed just seem to be what people in the forums are happy with. I did read about the Serge bo flash and it seemed like a lot of people like it. The only thing I've started researching is intakes, I might get one pretty soon instead of replacing the stock air filter. Currently I'm leaning towards the CT Icebox that circuitsports mentioned.

I will defiantly have to polish and seal the headlights. He did an alright job but they could be clearer. He also didn't use any kind of sealer to prevent them from getting cloudy/yellow again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Good to know about the shift knob refurbishing. If only bringing the leather back to life were as easy.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I grabbed a pic this afternoon since I never posted any before. Just your typical TSX other than maybe the lip spoiler? I didn't think trunk lip spoilers were an OEM option.

I still haven't really washed the outside other than the top of the trunk to see what a good compound/polish would do for the faded paint. It definitely made it glossier, but did nothing for the faded color. I've decided I will eventually wrap it white.

I still have the brake fluid to change along with valve adjustment/new gasket. I got the coolant, ps fluid, mtf, and cabin air filter changed. Lubed the clutch rod since it was squeaky. I found out I was missing the cover that goes over the oil drain plug and a few clips so I got those ordered.

I'm pretty sure my first mod is going to be to get a non-nav radio and then hopefully get an Android Auto unit in there. I think I will be able to modify the stock non-nav radio to fit a Sony XAV-AX100. I have one in my other car, an 09 RX-8 R3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190223_112323952.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	38963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190223_121952069_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	38967  
CalgaryTSX and Chas_R like this.
Sponsored Links