Just started shopping for a 1st gen - Acura TSX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Just started shopping for a 1st gen

I started looking for a TSX last week. Test drove an 06 manual but it wasn't in the best shape. I was going to look at an 08 manual at a dealer bit it was gone before I had a day off to look at it. I want an 06+ manual but they aren't very common. Tons of autos and a couple manual 04s in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Highly recommend the 6MT and looking for an 05 or newer. Good luck!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The two I'm considering are an 04 manual 105k mi asking 3900. The other is an 08 manual 109k mi asking 6700 but said he would come down to 6k. The 06 I looked at before had 98k and was asking 4900, but it was from up North and the bolts under the car and in the engine bay were all rusty. I moved to FL to avoid that crap after living in OH and breaking bolts anytime I worked on a car.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

$6,000 for the 08 seems like a good price.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRas900 View Post
$6,000 for the 08 seems like a good price.
Agreed. If there's no major flaws with the 08, that's a fair price.
Regarding the 04 the biggest concern I'd have is oil burn. My first 04 didn't burn any, second (and current) did. I bought it with 142k on it and learned rather quickly that it burned a quart every 1000miles or so. I drove it that way for 90k, oil loss got a little worse towards the end but I believe that was due to external leaks at that point of the engines life.
Check the VIN tag in the door for manufacturer date, if it was made in 03 or early 04, and has never had the short block swapped, it's at high risk of being an oil burner.
I used OEM Honda synthetic blend in the old engine since it was cheap, and OEM. I bought it by the case, and changed my oil every 6000-7000miles, usually whenever I used up the whole case. A case of oil and OEM filter came out to about $50.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I'm going to look at the 08 this afternoon. From the pics it has a few curbed rims. The seller said the paint is starting to fade. I hope it is just faded and not peeling clearcoat. He also just polished the yellowed headlights, I'll have to ask him how he did it to see if I'll have to do it again.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Is the 08 red? That color frequently fades.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Is the 08 red? That color frequently fades.
It is red. It is very faded and cloudy looking, no peeling but I would guess it is toast. Everything else was in great shape. Had a lot of maintenance records. Clutch and flywheel were done recently, along with LCAs and an alignment. Struts were replaced 15 or 20k mi ago.

I'm going back to pick it up tonight. I'll probably try hitting the paint with a DA Polisher but I think in the end I might try wrapping it. I've wrapped a lot of interior stuff and an S2000 hardtop before but never an entire car.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 PM
-

The 2007-08 manual trans TSX are the best of the 1st gen TSX's, despite the TPMS system.

For a 1st Gen TSX with faded red paint, go really low on the price.
A used red car has a really low resale price.

If the TSX has a navigation system, go even lower on the price.
No one wants an outdated navigation system in a vehicle.
socalcl9 likes this.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (both resonators removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Congrats! Sounds like a great car.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I finally got the car home last night. Went through all the maintenance records to see what needs done and got a list together.

coolant (OEM)
power steering fluid (OEM)
trans fluid (probably getting synchromesh FM, I liked it in my S2000 better than OEM or Redline)
valve adjustment

I plan to check the air filters and brake fluid today to see if they need done. I have the day off so I am going to thoroughly clean the interior. It looks clean but I'll power wash the floor mats, steam clean the carpet, scrub and treat everything else.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on the new ride! I’m guessing you got the 08?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride! Im guessing you got the 08?
I did get the 08. Got the interior mostly clean. I forgot to clean the seat belt, which should fix it not retracting.

The shift knob had so much gunk in the numbers I didn't know they were red. I need to do the drill and sand paper trick to make the metal top look nice.

Once I get all the maintenance done I have a few plans for the car.
First I'll probably get a non-nav radio and modify it with an android auto unit and keep the stock hvac controls. The Metra kit for this car is hideous. Then I will probably do some aesthetic mods. I really want to wrap the car white or green, lower it a little, and get new wheels. For performance mods I'll probably get an intake (for noise), pullies, maybe a header, and a flash.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
I did get the 08. Got the interior mostly clean. I forgot to clean the seat belt, which should fix it not retracting.

The shift knob had so much gunk in the numbers I didn't know they were red. I need to do the drill and sand paper trick to make the metal top look nice.

Once I get all the maintenance done I have a few plans for the car.
First I'll probably get a non-nav radio and modify it with an android auto unit and keep the stock hvac controls. The Metra kit for this car is hideous. Then I will probably do some aesthetic mods. I really want to wrap the car white or green, lower it a little, and get new wheels. For performance mods I'll probably get an intake (for noise), pullies, maybe a header, and a flash.
Congrats again on your purchase!

Drill and sandpaper trick? I've not heard of this...

Asthetics/Performance:

Lowering: Lots of options depending on your goal and budget. Personally I have Tein Flex Z. These are budget coilovers for sure but at least made by a reputable company. They feel pretty good with some increased preload, rebound is a little stiff but there is definitely worse being sold for a higher price.

Wheels: I highly recommend losing weight here, it will do way more than pullies. I recently picked up some used 17x8 +48 wheels that weigh about 16lbs each, coupled with 235/50/17 Continental DWS tires (mild fender roll required for this size, 225/45 would work without a roll) my wheel/tire combo went from 49lbs (OEM wheels) per corner to 39lbs per corner... And the difference is night and day.

Intake: You can do a DIY cold air that deletes the huge resonator box and uses stock airbox and piping, costs you nothing but some time, and increases both noise and power. The power probably comes from lowering your IATs by 30-40F. I would also recommend doing a throttle body coolant bypass to further compliment the reduced IATs. Both of these mods together should cost you less than $10.

Pullies: Tons of options here, but ralco pullies are cheap and OBO on eBay. They also make OEM sized so you don't have to underdrive your accessories if you don't want to.

Header: Serge bo here in the forums builds an excellent header, that fits to OEM catback without any chopping or welding. He also includes a test pipe with flex joint if you want to delete your catalytic converter.

Flash: Serge bo can also flash your vehicle remotely, and all accounts say his flash is superior to the Hondata flash, which requires downtime/shipping of your ECU.

Hope this helps!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

The TSX and S2k are not the same gearbox - even in the s2k I only used 50/50 Amsoil FM and Honda MTF - in the TSX with the current Honda MTF I run that straight - I've tried 3 different combos and that works best.

With the TSX headlights I recommend doing a proper polish, seal them with a top coat and then wrapping them, I'd skip the pulleys for CT icebox, header and Ktuned.

A really good detailer can bring the red back and it's one of the best colors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement