Tony Jackson's Street/Track TSX Build - Page 11 - Acura TSX Forum
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 398 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

I like the new front bumper Tony! I just got my parents a 2007 Auto, non-navi, and it feels so nice to drive a bone stock car haha. But the front bumper on their car is definitely growing on me
tr3flip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Mods, why do my posts require approval? This is my second time writing a huge update only to lose all my text because of some approval process no one seems to know about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSXclub.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	38417  
post #153 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I have lots of little updates since my last post. I've dumped a ton of time and money into this TSX and it's finally coming together I feel.

Eibach Spring Rate Change:
I've been chasing the right sweet spot on spring rates with this car since we built the coilovers. The front springs are 900# and I had gone up from 800# earlier this year. The rears were 700# and I had gone up to 800# at the same time. The 800# rears were way too stiff. I finally dropped down to 650# rears a couple of months ago but I still felt the back hopped around too much.

I weighed my car at each corner and pulled up the TSX's motion ratio for the front and rear to calculate a good ride frequency. I really liked the way the 900# front springs felt so I wanted to match the rear based on a 900# front spring. We came up with ~460# spring rate as a base so I just bumped that up to a 500# and really love the way it feels now. The car soaks up bumps so much better and no hopping around.

post #154 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

NEW Exedy Clutch (4th clutch in one year):
After I swapped my rear springs I went for a drive and the clutch felt really weird and the trans started grinding between shifts. I knew right away it was another clutch problem. The Exedy clutch I had in there was just over a month old! I pulled the trans and clutch off to find the Exedy clutch disc had failed. I called and talked to Exedy and they gave me some things to look for.

Turns out that my engine was missing the Pilot Bushing that centers the spline of the trans with the engine. What's weird is that there is no mention of this bushing in the Helms manual nor any illustration on any of the Honda or Acura online part suppliers so it was easily overlooked on my end. Now I know!

Exedy replaced the disc as a customer accommodation and it's been driving excellent ever since. I was able to slide the trans out of the way without pulling the engine or dropping the subframe. Not much room to work on the clutch and flywheel but it was enough room and it saved me hours of time. I had the old clutch out within the hour. Here are a few pictures of this mess.

post #155 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Hondata Reflash:
Church Automotive Tuning offers Hondata Reflash services on the spot. I made an appointment with them for last Saturday. It took them about 30 minutes start to finish. Maybe even less. Initial impressions...OMG! Why didn't I do this sooner??? All I can say is that the reflash made power everywhere. From 5000rpm to 7600 is awesome.

New Sun Visor:
This is my third TSX (my GF had a milano red TSX for years previously) and all three of them had saggy sun visors. My current TSX sun visor was good up until a few months ago.

I bought a new sun visor from Acura and cut open my old one to see what failed. Basically, the internals of this visor are plastic and disintegrate over time with the sun and heat.

New Cabin Filter:
Change your cabin filter, folks. This took me 5 minutes to change start to finish. I couldn't believe how disgusting the old filter was.

New Door Lock Actuator and other misc items:
I replaced the door lock actuator, sun visor and cabin filter last night. I still have a few more items to take care which I'll try and tackle this weekend.

New stainless steel brake lines from HeelToe. My Goodridge lines didn't have the perfect fit and rubbed against my axle. These are coming off.

I want to replace all the bushings in the rear so I picked up some Hard Race rear knuckle bushings for starters. I may collect a few more bushings before tearing the rear end apart.

Eibach 200# tender springs. This is an attempt to sweeten the front suspension just a little more. I want the roll stiffness of the 900# main spring and hoping these 200# tenders will soak up the small stuff nicely on the street. I'll make a separate post once this is sorted.

I'll have a couple of more decent updates coming in the very near future. Here are a few random static shots of the car.

sonyfever, 2.2Lude and TSXXXX like this.
post #156 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Yikes look at that cabin filter!!

That new visor replacement was super rewarding too I'm sure!
tr3flip likes this.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
post #157 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
Yikes look at that cabin filter!!

That new visor replacement was super rewarding too I'm sure!
The new visor is my favorite mod now. lol!
post #158 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

A small update from over the weekend. Still tinkering with the suspension and decided to try some 200# tender springs up front and removed the helper springs that are only rated at 10 lbs/in and do nothing once the car is on the ground. These will add a progressive nature to the springs to hopefully soften things up on the street and to keep the tires planted on the ground.

I'm also lining up some projects for this weekend. Just need to collect a few more parts to put my RBC manifold on. Thanks to @thetopgeardog for the clean RBC manifold cover.

My AC compressor went out last year so i removed the entire system while i had the engine out. Going to reinstall the AC components and get this thing charged. Too damn hot in LA/OC right now.

post #159 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Putting in more work on the TSX to prep for a Buttonwillow event at the end of the month. I picked up a used Euro Accord R (ASP3) trans from a friend and spent a good part of my weekend swapping it over.

Everything went flawlessly and the trans is just as good as I thought it would be. I'm seriously blown away by how much performance I was able to get out of the Hondata reflash and this R trans swap. The car feels like a completely different beast now!

TSX trans on the left has been rebuilt by Ghostwerks with OE LSD and ASP3 aluminum trans casing.
Euro Accord R trans on the right.

I also test fitted my RBC manifold. Was going to try and do both installs but I need to order some longer hoses and grind a way a little more of my manifold to get my water bypass adapter to line up properly. Unfortunately, i had to put the stock TSX manifold back on for now.

Obligatory gas station photo while test driving the new trans.
post #160 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

How much the euro-r trans run you if you don't mind me asking - I've been torn between going euro-r or just rebuilding my current trans with an LSD, shorter 1-3 or 1-4 while still retaining the TSX 6th gear. Only euro-r trans I ever see are on ebay for close to $2k, which I think is a little steep.

post #161 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
How much the euro-r trans run you if you don't mind me asking - I've been torn between going euro-r or just rebuilding my current trans with an LSD, shorter 1-3 or 1-4 while still retaining the TSX 6th gear. Only euro-r trans I ever see are on ebay for close to $2k, which I think is a little steep.
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the Euro R trans. I had even considered going with the 5.0 final drive on my TSX trans before coming across the ASP3. I'd be curious to see how the gearing felt with that set up.

I paid about half of your ebay price but I had a friend who bought the complete swap that owed me a few favors. I think local importers asking around $1500 for these.
post #162 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the Euro R trans. I had even considered going with the 5.0 final drive on my TSX trans before coming across the ASP3. I'd be curious to see how the gearing felt with that set up.

I paid about half of your ebay price but I had a friend who bought the complete swap that owed me a few favors. I think local importers asking around $1500 for these.
You've got the right group of friends! As far as the install, I remember reading on older threads there was chatter about the Euro-R trans not being a direct bolt up, others saying it was. Was there anything you had to change or was it literally k24a2 trans out, euro-r trans in?

post #163 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
You've got the right group of friends! As far as the install, I remember reading on older threads there was chatter about the Euro-R trans not being a direct bolt up, others saying it was. Was there anything you had to change or was it literally k24a2 trans out, euro-r trans in?
I remember hearing the same thing about the Euro R trans not fitting when I first got my TSX. The Euro R trans is a direct replacement though.
post #164 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

That thing must be a lot of fun to drive now after that trans swap. I could only imagine. The reflash makes a huge difference as well, more so with power under the curve.

You’re becoming a transmission expert, is removing the subframe a PIA?
post #165 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

damn Tony, the progress is dope! I'm excited to see you dip into the sub 2's at BW (preferably you break the 2 barrier NA)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement