Tony Jackson's Street/Track TSX Build - Page 12 - Acura TSX Forum
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
That thing must be a lot of fun to drive now after that trans swap. I could only imagine. The reflash makes a huge difference as well, more so with power under the curve.

You’re becoming a transmission expert, is removing the subframe a PIA?
OMG, so much fun! Cannot wait to get on track next week.

So i haven't once removed the subframe. Twice I've pulled the engine and the last two times I was able to move the trans over or pull straight out of the engine bay with the help of a friend. You have to remove the radiator, intake manifold and clutch to create the most room but to me that's better than pulling the motor or dropping the subframe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlabs View Post
damn Tony, the progress is dope! I'm excited to see you dip into the sub 2's at BW (preferably you break the 2 barrier NA)!
Thanks, Todd! I'm praying for sub two once it cools down but don't want to get my hopes up too much. And there's still so much to do engine and trans wise. I've made so many changes I'm just hoping the car stays in one piece, lol.

We're running Buttonwillow CCW next weekend and they still haven't announced the configuration. I'm guessing they'll do #1 with Star Mazda turn.
post #168 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post

So i haven't once removed the subframe. Twice I've pulled the engine and the last two times I was able to move the trans over or pull straight out of the engine bay with the help of a friend. You have to remove the radiator, intake manifold and clutch to create the most room but to me that's better than pulling the motor or dropping the subframe.
Had you ever thought about pulling the subframe and adding the Spoon rigid collars? Hopefully you won't be taking it all apart for quite some time lol

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj

post #169 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
Had you ever thought about pulling the subframe and adding the Spoon rigid collars? Hopefully you won't be taking it all apart for quite some time lol
I've definitely thought about getting a spare subframe and finding ways to make it lighter and possibly add stiffer bushings. I'm not quite sold those rigid collars do anything but may try them anyway so i know for myself.
post #170 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I've definitely thought about getting a spare subframe and finding ways to make it lighter and possibly add stiffer bushings. I'm not quite sold those rigid collars do anything but may try them anyway so i know for myself.
Sonyfever installed them and had some decent feedback: https://www.tsxclub.com/forums/tsx-b...-build-28.html

Wanting to hear input from other TSX owners though. They're definitely on my list of "nice to haves" right now.
tr3flip likes this.

post #171 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Ummm so you can actually wiggle out the trans from the top if you remove the following parts you listed.
I'll have to remember that when I pull my trans. At least I know it's possible!
tr3flip likes this.
post #172 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
Ummm so you can actually wiggle out the trans from the top if you remove the following parts you listed.
I'll have to remember that when I pull my trans. At least I know it's possible!
Yep! No engine hoist needed. We each had one hand on the trans and yanked it straight out.
post #173 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Some thoughts on sub-frame since I have researched a bit about TSX chassis, comparing it to more recent cars like TLX, Accords and BMW to see where it can be strengthened.

For sub-frame, I actually would rather add weight to strengthen it then taking out weight. The weight there is good mass - since it sits low, helps noise/vibration and improves handling. Besides, the factory design looks lean already. Not saying it is impossible but for sure not simple.

I am not a structural engineer so take the following with a big grain of salt. From the various crash photos I studied, the front and rear beams of the boxed sub-frame are quite strong. The other two beams obviously can not be be because they need to bend to absorb energy. This might be an area for improvement.

Another weak spot I feel is the two frontal attachment points of the lower control arms. Here two brackets are welded to the main assembly. This is one of a kind design and later models all have the attachments built into the beams. I want to try the Alutec 2-pt bar that ties the two points, but ground clearance concern prevents me from doing so.

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #174 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfever View Post
Some thoughts on sub-frame since I have researched a bit about TSX chassis, comparing it to more recent cars like TLX, Accords and BMW to see where it can be strengthened.

For sub-frame, I actually would rather add weight to strengthen it then taking out weight. The weight there is good mass - since it sits low, helps noise/vibration and improves handling. Besides, the factory design looks lean already. Not saying it is impossible but for sure not simple.

I am not a structural engineer so take the following with a big grain of salt. From the various crash photos I studied, the front and rear beams of the boxed sub-frame are quite strong. The other two beams obviously can not be be because they need to bend to absorb energy. This might be an area for improvement.

Another weak spot I feel is the two frontal attachment points of the lower control arms. Here two brackets are welded to the main assembly. This is one of a kind design and later models all have the attachments built into the beams. I want to try the Alutec 2-pt bar that ties the two points, but ground clearance concern prevents me from doing so.
That's an interesting theory. I still think (weight reduction > strengthening) is the way to go. My main reasons why.

1) This car has plenty of grip on the track.
2) This car is also too heavy.
3) Weight reduction will increase performance in all aspects.
4) The subframe isn't really that heavy but any weight savings helps and it all adds up in the end.

If I get to a point where I feel this car needs more chassis reinforcement I would just add a cage or get a different car. I can't image these cars are flexing more than the 15-20 year old Hondas everyone else is tracking.
post #175 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I made some more suspension changes last friday in preparation for Buttonwillow. My right front fork bushing had seen better days and I decided to replace that to give me a better base line on what my springs and suspension are doing. I also swapped out my 200# tender springs for progressive 250#-550# tender springs up front.

Getting out the old bushing.

200# linear tender vs 250#-550# progressive tender

This is with the front suspension loaded up. You can see there is about an inch or more of suspension travel with the tender spring before it gets into my 900# main spring.
post #176 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Inside I removed my back seats and swapped in my MOMO wheel and seats that were borrowed from the M3. The seats hold me in well but I think I might swap these for something a little less aggressive.

Momo goods.

post #177 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Finally got back out on track with the TSX on Sunday. We ran Buttonwillow backwards (CCW #13) and the car ran flawless. It was a hot one at 110° by 3rd session. The car's water temps stayed steady all day, the suspension felt great and the CL7 trans and reflash really helped pull the car out of corners nicely.

Here are a few pictures from the garage and on track. I shared the garage with my friend Jared who brought his Civic out.

post #178 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

So you swapped shock bushings with the LCA still on the car? Makes sense if that's the only bushing needing replaced.

Track shots look sweet! That momo seat though! Isn't your TSX a daily? Like you said I'd pry want something not quite so aggressive too.

post #179 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
So you swapped shock bushings with the LCA still on the car? Makes sense if that's the only bushing needing replaced.
Yeah, it seemed easier than removing the LCA and having to hold it while i removed the bushing. I didn't have a press but was able to use a socket to pound out the old bushing and used the new bushing to push the old bushing the rest of the way out.

Quote:
Track shots look sweet! That momo seat though! Isn't your TSX a daily? Like you said I'd pry want something not quite so aggressive too.
Thanks! Felt so good to be back out on track. The MOMO seats are not staying in the car. I'm swapping back to my stock seats as soon as I get home tonight. Haha. I thinking of going back down to a Recaro Pole Position or something similar.
post #180 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Here's a quick video I put together from on track. We ran Buttonwillow counterclockwise and the first lap in the video was my fastest all day at a 2:07.2. The other laps are a little slower but was having fun chasing the other cars in the advanced group.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement