Tony Jackson's Street/Track TSX Build - Page 13 - Acura TSX Forum
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on taking your class Tony absolutely love what you're doing!

But I would definitely be interested in kind of like a write up to pulling the trans from the top as posed to doing it the "traditional" way

Keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough draft View Post
Congrats on taking your class Tony absolutely love what you're doing!

But I would definitely be interested in kind of like a write up to pulling the trans from the top as posed to doing it the "traditional" way

Keep it up!
Thank you so much! Having a lot of fun with this car finally.

I'll make a better point to take more pictures next time I take the transmission out. I literally just unbolted anything that was in the way and pulled the trans from up top with the help of a friend. Haha.
post #183 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Here's a quick clip of me nearly running into the back of an E36 M3 that over-braked heavily into a high speed section at Buttonwillow.

post #184 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
Here's a quick video I put together from on track. We ran Buttonwillow counterclockwise and the first lap in the video was my fastest all day at a 2:07.2. The other laps are a little slower but was having fun chasing the other cars in the advanced group.

https://youtu.be/AIO9KzMYOQg
Love the vid! I feel the stiffness of your setup look somewhat similar to Tein's FlexZ (F:670/R:390). The tender springs look effective in softening the initial response.

Time to add a front splitter to increase high speed front grip. Do you feel you can use more rear rotation?

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #185 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

So I've finally isolated my right front clunking to a bad passenger side engine mount. I had exhausted every possibility with the suspension and started to suspect the mount. I pulled it off last night and sure enough, it's totally destroyed. Definitely relieved to have finally have this sorted. I was able to put the mount back in such a way that it reduced the clunking dramatically and also confirms that it was indeed causing the noise.

I tried searching to see if the TL-S mount would be an optional replacement but didn't have much luck. The online illustrations look the same between the two and from my experience the TL-S components are usually a tad stiffer than the TSX counterparts. To top it off, the TL-S mount is more than half the price of the TSX mount.

Fingers crossed it works. I should have the mount tomorrow and will see if it all lines up.

Here is a comparison of the two mounts:

And also my busted mount which is split in two pieces now. The problem was masked by the cover the slides over the top of the mount. Once i had all unbolted it was pretty obvious the mount was toast.

CalgaryTSX and sonyfever like this.
post #186 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfever View Post
Love the vid! I feel the stiffness of your setup look somewhat similar to Tein's FlexZ (F:670/R:390). The tender springs look effective in softening the initial response.

Time to add a front splitter to increase high speed front grip. Do you feel you can use more rear rotation?
Thank you! My rates are a tad stiffer than the Flex at 900/500. I've removed the tenders and went back to helpers in hope to get a crisper initial turn-in out of the car. I felt the tenders numbed this a bit. At the end of the day it's all whatever you're comfortable and confident with.

This car has so much front grip. Aero is definitely not needed at this point. Considering the heat, the fact I'm still on a pretty moderate tire (Falken Azenis) there is still so much room for improvement. Even with this set up I was still able to set the car up where I wanted through each section of the track. The LSD and 255 wide tires make such a nice difference in handling.
post #187 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you! My rates are a tad stiffer than the Flex at 900/500. I've removed the tenders and went back to helpers in hope to get a crisper initial turn-in out of the car. I felt the tenders numbed this a bit. At the end of the day it's all whatever you're comfortable and confident with.

This car has so much front grip. Aero is definitely not needed at this point. Considering the heat, the fact I'm still on a pretty moderate tire (Falken Azenis) there is still so much room for improvement. Even with this set up I was still able to set the car up where I wanted through each section of the track. The LSD and 255 wide tires make such a nice difference in handling.
I hope I am not bombarding you, but do you switch back to the helper springs after the video?

Becausea from the video, I feel there is a slight delay in steering resppnse at high speed corners, almost like slight understeer. I was thinking that the tires will bite harder with the extra down force, so slip angle can be generated more readily.

Now you mentioned the car has ample mechanical grip, I start thinking maybe rigid collar will help. To me, rigid collar tightens the initial response. Even though I do not like the impact on ride quality and the increased vibration in the steering wheel, I think the car will be too bland without it. Yours have the LCA bearings so ride quality is going to get even worse, but maybe I am just getting old...

Another suggestion - from my experience from RB caliper to Stoptech BBK, the extra unsprung weight (probably around 5lbs) dulls the nimbleness quite noticeably. I keep thinking about effortless and responsive the steering was. So if you want to improve the turn-in response, that is also something you can try e.g. even lighter wheels or two-piece rotors.
tr3flip likes this.

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #188 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Interesting find about the bad motor mount. Mine makes some clunks too and I'm almost certain it's a motor mount as well. In to see if the TL-S mount works!
tr3flip likes this.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
post #189 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfever View Post
I hope I am not bombarding you, but do you switch back to the helper springs after the video?

Becausea from the video, I feel there is a slight delay in steering resppnse at high speed corners, almost like slight understeer. I was thinking that the tires will bite harder with the extra down force, so slip angle can be generated more readily.
Haha, no worries. I changed back to helpers last week, so yes, after the video. The steering and weight transfer i had at the track felt great. It's going to be really, really hard for you to tell what the car is doing by watching the video.

It's unfortunate that this broken mount has really masked my suspension changes. I'll likely circle back around and try the 200# tenders and 250#-550# tenders again to see what I like the most. My car hasn't had the monoball compliance bearings in quite a while. I've been on TL-S bushings since I first got the manual. Luckily for me, I sold the auto TSX with the monoballs to my coworker here at Eibach. Just need to find time to switch LCAs now that I'm curious to see how these feel with all my other changes.

Side note, I've submitted my TSX as an entry for the upcoming FF Battle later this month. I haven't received an acceptance email but hoping I get in and get to see how this car can stack against the rest of the field.
sonyfever likes this.
post #190 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
Interesting find about the bad motor mount. Mine makes some clunks too and I'm almost certain it's a motor mount as well. In to see if the TL-S mount works!
I'm picking that sucker up this afternoon. I should know right away if it'll work and will report back.
post #191 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

The 255 series tires made the biggest change to my car. I absolutely agree the added grip was a night and day difference compared to the mediocre stock setup. Even my winter wheels are 235 series, not going any smaller than that.

Does your car understeer on track? Or do you have to drive like a complete hooligan to induce it?
tr3flip likes this.
post #192 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The TL-S passenger mount was a success! The car drives so much better now that the mount is replaced. I don't know if the TL-S mount is any stiffer since my OE mount was totally blown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
Does your car understeer on track? Or do you have to drive like a complete hooligan to induce it?
The car goes pretty much where I point it. It will understeer on sweeping turns if i push too much but that's just the nature of FWD.
post #193 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM
-

Excellent info on the TL-S motor mount.

Can you post the full part number please? thanks..
tr3flip likes this.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (both resonators removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #194 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryTSX View Post
Excellent info on the TL-S motor mount.

Can you post the full part number please? thanks..
Part# 50820-SEP-A12
CalgaryTSX likes this.
post #195 of 398 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Part# 50820-SEP-A12
Very happy about this! Thank you sir
tr3flip likes this.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
Sponsored Links