Tony Jackson's Street/Track TSX Build - Page 17 - Acura TSX Forum
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The sound is crap but the video action is pretty good. Highlights include a few old and new NSX passes, ITR passes and a good 4 wheel drift over the Thunderhill Bypass if you make it to the last lap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

This angle is not my favorite, I use my phone pinched in the passenger side headrest and I like the view. Audio is tough with the windows down, but you could run an external mic to your helmet like motorcycle vloggers often do and clean it up, you could even run a go pro off your helmet.
post #243 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Tony, now that you've had the Exedy clutch & flywheel on your car for several months, including several track events, how is it holding up?

I've used their full face racing clutch in other Hondas, but I've been worried that the flywheel would be too light for daily use. What's your take?

I do the occasional time attack and HPDE, otherwise it's my daily. I've dailyed lightened flywheel cars before, but I'm a little older now. 🙂 On the other hand, going back to a stock weight flywheel feels so sluggish.
tr3flip likes this.

post #244 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath View Post
Tony, now that you've had the Exedy clutch & flywheel on your car for several months, including several track events, how is it holding up?

I've used their full face racing clutch in other Hondas, but I've been worried that the flywheel would be too light for daily use. What's your take?

I do the occasional time attack and HPDE, otherwise it's my daily. I've dailyed lightened flywheel cars before, but I'm a little older now. 🙂 On the other hand, going back to a stock weight flywheel feels so sluggish.
The Exedy parts have been holding up great. Very happy with the set up now. I don't have AC in the car but when I did that was the only time I ever felt the flywheel was too light. Sometimes the car felt like it wanted to stall if I let it idle with the AC on. For normal driving and on track, it's awesome!
post #245 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Great thread with lots of great information. Found your videos of Youtube and came here to read all about it. I plan on building a TSX for WRL/AER endurance racing and NASA ST5 this winter so might shoot you a message about suspension setup when the time comes.
tr3flip, mathlabs and polymath like this.
post #246 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
The Exedy parts have been holding up great. Very happy with the set up now. I don't have AC in the car but when I did that was the only time I ever felt the flywheel was too light. Sometimes the car felt like it wanted to stall if I let it idle with the AC on. For normal driving and on track, it's awesome!
That's good to hear. I'll definitely be keeping AC in the car, so I've been considering running a slightly heavier flywheel with the Exedy clutch. In my last Civic build, I ran an Exedy Organic paired with the slightly heavier ACT Streetlite flywheel. It was a good street / track combo and provided great driveability in heavy traffic. I've been mulling running a similar setup in the TSX, with either the ACT or Competition Clutch RSX-S flywheel, since both are slightly heavier than the Exedy flywheel.

On a related note, do you believe the early failure of the Action Clutch setup was due to the pilot bushing, or do you believe the problems went further? I see JHP has a lower price on the Action clutch & flywheel combo, but I have zero experience with Action.

Thanks for answering my question(s). I've been following your build thread closely & drawn lots of inspiration from it - I'll be soon swapping in an ASP3 transmission myself and attempting the upward removal. I've had a lot of fun driving this car on the street and on the track. It's heavier and slower than my Civic was, but the chassis definitely feels "tighter."
post #247 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
On a related note, do you believe the early failure of the Action Clutch setup was due to the pilot bushing, or do you believe the problems went further? I see JHP has a lower price on the Action clutch & flywheel combo, but I have zero experience with Action.

Thanks for answering my question(s). I've been following your build thread closely & drawn lots of inspiration from it - I'll be soon swapping in an ASP3 transmission myself and attempting the upward removal. I've had a lot of fun driving this car on the street and on the track. It's heavier and slower than my Civic was, but the chassis definitely feels "tighter."
Here's my take on the Action Clutch scenario. The missing pilot bushing likely caused premature wear. How long that bushing was missing is unknown to me. The first time I did the clutch on this car myself it was missing. When I presented the issue to Action (via JHP) they basically shot me down without any sort of guidance. No return call or email.

When it happened again with the Exedy clutch I used to replace the broken Action clutch - I called Exedy and their guy gave me some suggestions to look for. Obvious suggestions but these guys are clutch experts and this is what I was looking for. Because of this, I will always put Exedy first when shopping for a clutch.

The ASP3 trans is such a great mod. I still have my rebuilt GhostWerks trans I need to find a new home for.
polymath likes this.
post #248 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM
-

Quote:
The TL-S passenger mount was a success! The car drives so much better now that the mount is replaced. I don't know if the TL-S mount is any stiffer since my OE mount was totally blown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryTSX View Post
Excellent info on the TL-S motor mount.

Can you post the full part number please? thanks..
Quote:
Part# 50820-SEP-A12

So I knew the passenger side engine mount in our TSX was worn, so I ordered up the TL-S V6 engine mount and the TSX engine mount.

I compared both at the parts counter.
Unfortunately, the TSX engine mount is noticeably STIFFER than the TL-S motor mount.

I returned the TL-S motor mount, had to eat a $20 re-stocking fee but worth confirming.
I installed the much more expensive TSX mount.
Our original motor mount was not blown, but mushy and cracks in the rubber.

For anyone, including Tony, I would not remove the TL-S mount if you have already installed it.
tr3flip likes this.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (both resonators removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #249 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

The photo when you jump, really great!
tr3flip likes this.
post #250 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
So I knew the passenger side engine mount in our TSX was worn, so I ordered up the TL-S V6 engine mount and the TSX engine mount.

Unfortunately, the TSX engine mount is noticeably STIFFER than the TL-S motor mount.

I returned the TL-S motor mount, had to eat a $20 re-stocking fee but worth confirming.

For anyone, including Tony, I would not remove the TL-S mount if you have already installed it.
Good info and thanks for confirming!
post #251 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Wow really? I just replaced my mount with a TL-S one (my old mount had completely separated internally. Bummed the TL-S is softer than the TSX. When playing around with the TL-S mount I thought it was quite stiff. Easy as hell to replace, but I don't see myself taking the TL-S mount out until it needs it.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
post #252 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

The ASP3 trans is such a great mod. I still have my rebuilt GhostWerks trans I need to find a new home for.
Looks like I may be attempting the ASP3 swap this weekend. I saw from one of your previous posts that to be able to pull the transmission from the top, the radiator and intake manifold need to come out, trans unbolted and slid back, clutch removed, then the trans can be lifted up and out. Sound about right? Any additional tips or recommendations?
post #253 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks like I may be attempting the ASP3 swap this weekend. I saw from one of your previous posts that to be able to pull the transmission from the top, the radiator and intake manifold need to come out, trans unbolted and slid back, clutch removed, then the trans can be lifted up and out. Sound about right? Any additional tips or recommendations?
Yup, that's about it. You'll have to rotate the clutch while the trans is unbolted to get the clutch bolts out. The flywheel can stay on. I tried to wiggle the trans out with the clutch on but there is not enough room.

Good luck!
polymath likes this.
post #254 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, that's about it. You'll have to rotate the clutch while the trans is unbolted to get the clutch bolts out. The flywheel can stay on. I tried to wiggle the trans out with the clutch on but there is not enough room.

Good luck!
I'm about to do the same and was hoping I could pull the transmission without the engine. Glad I saw this, didn't even have to search!
tr3flip and polymath like this.
post #255 of 398 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

@shandalo @polymath

If you guys are gonna do this as much as a hassle it may be it would be awesome if you could take pictures along the way!

As more tsx become more "track oriented" it would be nice to start peeling away at alot of the disparities that go unanswered about the tax

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement