post #302 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Too much send! lol
post #303 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
Too much send! lol
Probably forgot which side he was sitting on, Euro R Gaijin attack!!!!
tr3flip likes this.

post #304 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfever View Post
Some thoughts on sub-frame since I have researched a bit about TSX chassis, comparing it to more recent cars like TLX, Accords and BMW to see where it can be strengthened.

For sub-frame, I actually would rather add weight to strengthen it then taking out weight. The weight there is good mass - since it sits low, helps noise/vibration and improves handling. Besides, the factory design looks lean already. Not saying it is impossible but for sure not simple.
The sub frame is a mass produced cost conscious piece designed for a road car on 2004 tires - the force produced by more modern tires and improved suspension dramatically increases stress on the chassis.

This example by opera performance for an s2000 gives a good idea of a modified sub frame - however if you notice the large dimpled holes everywhere - this is an old trick to reducing weight and increasing stiffness as it's very hard to deform a radius-ed circle

JUN Auto's version has alot more holes and showcases the seam welding most of these options have too

However there is a level beyond this and it used to be alot more popular, full replacement - especially if you have lightened the engine, or running a 3 mount setup

This version from Beatrush for the WRX is a good example and probably shaves quite a bit off while still performing well.

This is a full road race and drag race piece for the GTR and it's 20 pounds lighter and offers superior geometry for lowered cars and steering arm angles, it also vastly outperforms the factory piece.

tr3flip likes this.
post #305 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Registered Member

Also the spoon collars while locking in what should be the perfect front and rear sub frame placement - do something else far more important. If you have ever added a washer to a bolt you can understand the concept. It creates a larger surface area at the mating points and not only makes them stronger, but resists the bending force on the sub frame mounting bolts. Which under heavy load deform even there mountings. This is why ideally the bolts are left slightly loose until the car is sitting on the ground to properly load them. Technically the added stiffness means you could reduce the spring rates and achieve the same grip.
post #306 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Thanks for this! I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement with the front subframe on these cars. Maybe one day if I turn this thing into a real race car I can look into doing a lighter, stronger subframe replacement.
post #307 of 395 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 AM
@fsocietytsx
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
Thank you! Gingerman is a fun track but it's a solid 3 day drive from me.
3 days! it's about 5 hour drive from where I am. Just have to cross the border into Michigan.
post #308 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I haven't really touched the TSX since going to Buttonwillow at the end of December. I have been brewing up a few upgrades lately and hoping to get these installed in the next couple of weeks. I signed up for the VTEC Club event at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway on March 10th and have a few upgrades I'd like sorted by then.

Planned Upgrades Include:
Hard Race rear knuckle bushings
PCI Front Compliance Bearing (giving this another shot)
New Front Wheel Bearings, Hubs, Extended Studs and 15mm Eibach Spacer
RBC Manifold

Cleaning my spare rear knuckle assembly

Pressing in the new bushings

I'm also prepping a few spare parts from the silver TSX to get painted Milano Red

Speaking of the silver TSX - it's pretty much completely stripped at this point and will be trying to get rid of the shell in the very near future.

TSXXXX likes this.
post #309 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:04 PM
#HTinyourcorner

Garage
You know I am all about the PCI (We call them FLP/PCI since we got Brian off his butt to make them in the first place) bushings. I love them. But IMO only compliance bushings are needed. I myself don't think the smaller frame-mount location is as beneficial on a mixed street/track car.
tr3flip likes this.

Heeltoe Automotive
#HTinyourcorner

Visit Heeltoeauto.com for all your Acura TSX and Honda Accord needs!
Genuine OEM parts at great discount pricing!
post #310 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe View Post
You know I am all about the PCI (We call them FLP/PCI since we got Brian off his butt to make them in the first place) bushings. I love them. But IMO only compliance bushings are needed. I myself don't think the smaller frame-mount location is as beneficial on a mixed street/track car.
Yep, and that's why I wanted to give them a second try now that the front coilovers, spring rates, ride height and ride frequencies have been sorted out. I also feel that spotting the difference between a track only and street mod is all subjective to driver experience and usage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "smaller frame-mount location." Can you clarify which part you're referring to?
post #311 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 PM
#HTinyourcorner

Garage
It is the trailing bushing in the front lower arm. Basically the small bearing PCI gives you.

Heeltoe Automotive
#HTinyourcorner

Visit Heeltoeauto.com for all your Acura TSX and Honda Accord needs!
Genuine OEM parts at great discount pricing!
post #312 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe View Post
It is the trailing bushing in the front lower arm. Basically the small bearing PCI gives you.
Ahh! I didn't get that bearing when I got the compliance set. Still on the stock bushing there. I'm actually headed to PCI on my way home to drop off some springs for Brian. I'll have to ask him about that.
post #313 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

Finally he will finish the RSX just in time for that new exhaust law to go into effect...:P

Looks like you have a giant silver problem only solved by judicious use of a sawzall and a random dumpster behind a super market or 3
tr3flip likes this.
post #314 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitsports View Post
Looks like you have a giant silver problem only solved by judicious use of a sawzall and a random dumpster behind a super market or 3
I've been there, done that before with an E36 M3 I chopped up for parts. Not fun! Trying to avoid that and hoping someone will scoop it for metal recycling or something.
post #315 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Did some cutting over the weekend and finally have some garage space back. Below are a few pictures I took of the progress.

I signed up for VTEC Club's round 1 at Chuckwalla next month on the 10th. Now that the silver TSX is out of the way I can start working on more updates on the red TSX. More to come soon!

TSXXXX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement