Tony Jackson's Street/Track TSX Build - Page 25 - Acura TSX Forum
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough draft View Post
LoL see what I was saying! The RRC is tough to beat and is the best of all worlds

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
If you have an rbc and head, you can do a valve job and extrude hone both for serious gains, but I would research the vendor first and either way tuning is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Swapped to Black Dashboard | Removed Carpet | Removed Sound Deadening:

I probably spent a solid 20 hours in the garage last weekend working on the TSX. I finally got around to swapping out the tan dashboard my car came with to the black one I pulled out of my silver TSX.

Things snowballed and I also removed the firewall mat and carpet while I had the dashboard out. I was also able to swap the black top portion of my original dashboard with the VIN plaque to the black bottom dash. The whole process was pretty straight forward other than having to keep track of hundreds of screws, bolts and nuts.

Here's a few GoPro snaps I took of my progress. The sound deadening is mostly out but still need to clean up the left over adhesive. Will post more pictures soon.

This is the bottom side of the dashboard exposing the airbag bolted below. I removed the airbag for a little weight savings before putting the dash back together.

sonyfever and Brock like this.
post #363 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

That looks very tedious. Howd the dry ice make due with the sound deadening material?

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj

post #364 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

On average how much weight does it shave off?

post #365 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
That looks very tedious. Howd the dry ice make due with the sound deadening material?
I've always used dry ice and it works great. My friend Angel suggested I mix rubbing alcohol in with the crushed up dry ice and lay it down. It helped to loosen the material in big chunks and worked better than my traditional way.

Once the sound deadening is removed and all the pieces cleaned up I go back over all the left over adhesive with goof-off and then simple green. Still need to do this process.

Quote:
On average how much weight does it shave off?
I haven't weighed anything on a scale but going off how heavy I think it is...

Front Air Bag = 6lbs
Firewall Mat = 12lbs
Carpet = 20+lbs
Sound Deadening = 20+lbs
Rough draft likes this.
post #366 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 PM
J-Spec

The shipping weight on the dash insulator is 17 lbs, so it's probably at least 12 lbs.

How much louder is tire noise with it removed? 1.5 times louder? Twice as loud? Three times as loud?

With the interior removed, it would have been an opportune time to swap the roof panel with a JDM panel with no hole.
Assuming you had one on hand.

I have one sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped.
tr3flip likes this.

Last edited by Brock; 03-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #367 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
The shipping weight on the dash pad is 17 lbs, so it's probably at least 12 lbs.

How much louder is tire noise with it removed? 1.5 times louder? Twice as loud? Three times as loud?

With the interior removed, it would have been an opportune time to swap the roof panel with a JDM panel with no hole.
Assuming you had one on hand.

I have one sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped.
It's loud. I can hear my music all right but forget about talking on the phone. Haha. I'll eventually swap back in my carpet and back seats which should help bring the road noise down.

I had my headliner out just a couple of months ago when I swapped from tan to gray. That sunroof cassette is heavy! Definitely want to swap to a slick top roof at some point.

Did you get yours new or used? What are you going to do about the headliner?
post #368 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM
J-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip
It's loud. I can hear my music all right but forget about talking on the phone. Haha. I'll eventually swap back in my carpet and back seats which should help bring the road noise down.

I had my headliner out just a couple of months ago when I swapped from tan to gray. That sunroof cassette is heavy! Definitely want to swap to a slick top roof at some point.

Did you get yours new or used? What are you going to do about the headliner?
I bought the roof used from hmotors. It had a headliner with it but it was mutilated on the edges, so I tossed it and bought a brand new one.
I had it shipped by air from Japan, which was expensive, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what I've already invested in the car.
Unfortunately, the roof has a dent in it. Probably happened during shipping as there was no packing material in the crate. Just a couple of
sheets of cardboard and the roof panel. I'm sure it can be fixed by a paint-less dent removal pro. To be honest, I'd rather just sell it and buy
a brand new roof panel. It would cut down on the amount of prep work.

If you want to reduce interior noise while adding very little weight, then consider adding some 3M Thinsulate material. Honda uses it for
acoustic material on the CR-Z and maybe other hybrids because it's very light. I have some on my car in the front wheel wells between the
fender liner and the chassis. It would probably help if you used it to replace the dash insulator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XLJ4Q1/

Last edited by Brock; 03-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #369 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Raul's does amazing interior work, they can do custom carpet and headliners

Raul's Auto Trim

828 E Holt Blvd, Ontario, CA 91761
(909) 983-6814

Working on another roof solution myself - also check out the ultra racing sil bars, I'm enjoying mine so far.
post #370 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

No updates on my TSX this week but my friend Lee brought his TSX over and we swapped to some spring rates that are more street and track friendly. Angel was in the area and also brought his car by for a little.

My car is going to look like doodoo for a while until I get my silver parts back from the paint shop.

post #371 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

From what spring rates did he have and what did he go to? And I notice you added a helper spring. Is there a time or situation where you should add one? Or better question what does a helper spring "help"? I never really can find concrete answers on it!

post #372 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
From what spring rates did he have and what did he go to? And I notice you added a helper spring. Is there a time or situation where you should add one? Or better question what does a helper spring "help"? I never really can find concrete answers on it!
He had 20k/14k spring rates on the Teins when he bought the TSX. This used to belong to Scott (FrumpyBumps) and it was sprung pretty high. We went down to 16k/9k rates which is what I use on my car.

These Teins come with the helper spring already so we reused it. The purpose of a helper spring is to keep the main spring lined up properly top and bottom when the suspension becomes fully unloaded or "full droop". Without the helper spring the main spring will always get caught up on the threaded body or perch or both.

Helper springs are usually sprung very light. Ours are rated at 11lbs/in and you can fully compress them with your hand.

Tender springs are like helper springs but are rated higher and are used to create a progressive spring set up. I played with tenders on my set up last summer in this post: https://www.tsxclub.com/forums/50360229-post175.html
post #373 of 398 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

friends don't let friends tein
tr3flip likes this.
post #374 of 398 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

A couple of small updates. Finally got all the sound deadening adhesive off my floor boards and grabbed a quick GoPro shot. The carpet is still out and debating on whether to put it back in before my next event. Likely won't be tracking the TSX until July.

In other news, my TSX passed California smog with my RBC manifold still bolted up. Now time to put my go-fast parts back on and prepare for tuning.

I also have my silver body pieces getting painted milano red this week. Hoping to have a nice update with some photos once I get those back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitsports View Post
friends don't let friends tein
The car came with the Teins and to be honest, there's not much else out there to choose from for these cars.
post #375 of 398 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Suspension techniques and the rebuild-able v1's are very nice - I think they are 800 and 1100 with manufacturer discount right now. I used to sell Tein, never liked them or any other JDM option like Toda and T1R - I remember eons ago someone from Eibach jumping on H-T and dismantling the spring and shock quality of Tein, calling on anyone to have there units tested, I still lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement