@msmcl9 5AT daily driver build - Acura TSX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
@msmcl9 5AT daily driver build

hey what's up guys, my name is Bryan and I finally decided to write up a build thread for my car.

Alot of people may know me by Bryan Rajkumar on facebook, @msmcl9 on insta and @CL9partsforsale on insta.

I got my car on december 15th 2015 as a 16th birthday gift from my parents to learn how to drive with and take to college. As of writing this post i'm currently 18 and would say that i'm pretty close to completing my build (big lie lol)

I plan to use this post as an archive/inspiration for other tsx guys out there.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Okay so this is how my car looked around the time of purchasing it.

I bought it all stock from a dealer in virginia with 131k miles on it. If I were to go back in time I probably wouldn't have bought this car because msm is one of the worst Honda colors, the power steering pump shortly went out, there were alot of scuffs, the rear door actuators didn't work, the starter left me stranded once and the car had an old dead battery. I also found out at a later date that the car was rear ended and it didn't show up on the carfax. Underneath the trunk mats there are obvious signs of body work, the bumper is not oem and the left tail light is depo while the rest are stanley.

Throughout the years of ownership I've managed to fix all of the issues I could have but I still have a lot to do. I feel a lot happier about the maintenance and overall condition of the car, although I'm sure you guys are here for my mods then my maintenance.

For around the first 6 months of ownership the car sat and was never driven. On December 15th 2016 the car had only done about 3k miles. Around this time was when I had started to join the tsx facebook groups and browse around and see the world of modding and conversions that I could do this car. I was also starting to build up my contact list of friends who also owned tsx's and where more then willing to give me info on this car and the world that revolves around it.

For my 15th birthday my grandfather bought the collector's edition of gran turismo 5 for me. In the box there was this book called "Gran Turismo Magazine APEX" in this book there was around 70-100 pages of detailed images and descriptions of cars , the way they worked and how to tune them. I spent most of my middle school days reading this book and absorbing all the info I could about cars.

Thought this build thread you'll notice I reference my dad a lot. He's been building hondas since before I was born and throughout that time has made a lot of friends and contacts that are clutch when putting together a car.

That's about it for the backstory on me and the car, now for the actual build

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Hey Bryan, I like your profile pic, but it doesn't seem like the ones in the thread are working! Which dealership in Virginia did you get you car from? I got my tsx in 2015 for college as well. I got it at 97k and im at 120k now and had similar problems like what you mentioned. I think with enough dedication to get problems solved quickly and care to keep the car at proper function the tsx will treat you very good for years.

2006 PWP 5AT 124,XXX Miles (totaled, RIP)

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilah123 View Post
Hey Bryan, I like your profile pic, but it doesn't seem like the ones in the thread are working! Which dealership in Virginia did you get you car from? I got my tsx in 2015 for college as well. I got it at 97k and im at 120k now and had similar problems like what you mentioned. I think with enough dedication to get problems solved quickly and care to keep the car at proper function the tsx will treat you very good for years.

I actually can't remember where I bought my car from, somewhere in northern virginia though as I live in Maryland. I also think I fixed the picture problem.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Alright so I'm finally getting around to putting together this build thread.

So when I first got the car I was 15 and couldn't really afford to do any mods to the car. So from around December 2015 to October 2016 I didn't drive or do anything to the car besides convert the interior lights to LED. During that time span I spent alot of time researching the ins and outs of the top mods to do to this chassis. I decided that I wanted to do the full JDM honda conversion to my car over time.

The first steps I took was to buy a jdm 2004/2005 honda grill on ebay, I believe it was one of the jdm importers in san deigo for $130 shipped. After getting it in the mail and test fitting it I came into the infamous problem of the gap caused by the differences in usdm and jdm bumper. . if anyone is reading this, to help elimiate the gap just start mounting the grill from the center of the bumper not the upper edges. Not knowing this at the time I just decided to take the grill off for the time being while I tried to figure out how to eliminate the gap.

A coupe days later one of my dads friends who owns a jdm importing place called him up and said they were parting out an 04/05 jdm front end and asked if we wanted anything. I instantly asked about the headlights and we ended up going and picking up the pair for $200

These at the time were my favorite part of the car, the amber corners on the stock tsx lights didn't really flow with the color of my car. Since these have a clear corner they flow with the car so much better in my opinion. These are plug and play with the 04/05 tsx, the only thing is that they projectors are RHD instead of LHD. Not the hardest conversion to do but takes some time and patience both of which I had none of lol.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

The JDM headlights look so much better. I never really cared to do the upgrade until I bought my clip and decided to throw them on. Still need to swap my LHD projectors.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Circa October 2016- My dad was happy that I was showing great interest into getting into cars, He allowed me to sell off some of the rare crx parts he had been hoarding over the years to help fund some of my future car ventures. After some of the stuff sold I started buying things to help freshen up my car: ikon motorsports aspec lip, rock auto brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors, and milestar 225/40 tires.

One of my dads coworkers had a 9th gen HFP civic si and ended up trading it in with stock wheels, he decided to sell me his oem hfp 18s with bad tires for $150. They were curbed up but weren't bent and it was a great opportunity to get off stock wheels so I couldn't complain.

When I were we at my local tire shop getting the tires put on the hfp wheels I saw these sitting in the corner These were one of my dream wheels at the time and I ended up buying them from the owner for $400.

I got home and instantly tried on both sets:

Unfortunately unless I got 15mm spacers for the DC5 wheels they weren't gonna have fitment that I was happy with, so I decided to run the hfp wheels. I threw the DC5 wheels on craigslist and they sold for $600 after a couple days.

My neighbor came over and told me that if I wanted to get rid of the gap on my front grill he could build me a piece of plastic to eliminate it. I jumped at the offer and it came out pretty good.

Once I got the grill back I had ordered the $8 accord badge and $12 odyssey badge from ebay and converted the rear end from Acura -> Honda

After all of the recent progress I had made heres how the car sat for the next 6 months

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3flip View Post
The JDM headlights look so much better. I never really cared to do the upgrade until I bought my clip and decided to throw them on. Still need to swap my LHD projectors.
Yeah they're one of the top early mods to do to this chassis, I have a how to video recorded when I did my LHD conversion I need to upload sometime soon. The process is alot less daunting then one would think.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Circa March 2017- After saving my pennies over the winter I decided that it was time for some changes.

I has went on vacation to Trinidad and Tobago to visit my family over the winter, while I was there I went to the various car scraping places then are ended up buying a complete CL7 steering column for $50. I ended up stuffing the steering wheel and airbag in my suitcase and brought it back here to swap out my acura airbag

I saw some people running the oem spoiler and decided that it would be a good addition to my car, ordered the rep one off ebay and dropped it off to paint as soon as I got it
unfortunately I didn't have the ability to drop my car off at the body shop to get the color matched so thats why it looks so off.

After learning the trick on how to properly mount the jdm front grill in the usdm front bumper and I picked up another grill locally for $100

At the time I had gotten bored of the hfp wheels and decided to order a set of oem 2015 accord sports swapped over the tires from the hfp wheels and sold them for about $250 for just the wheels. These wheels fit the car so much better imo then the hfps but I just wish they weren't so damn heavy.

A little while later my dad ended up picking up this 08 tl type s aspec 6spd and I fell completely in love with it The clutch felt amazing and it was so much faster than my tsx for sure. I will for sure try to own one of these for myself in the future

I was pretty happy with the car for a couple months so here are some pics I took before changing anything

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Garage
Keep this up man, it looks good. My dad sold me his tsx with a little over 200k miles on it. I'm also currently in college and it's sitting at around 312k miles right now. Still runs strong. You're doing good work, and I enjoyed watching this coming along. I need to make a build thread also, but I'm also not as good, nor have the resources that you do. I mainly have google, ebay, and amazon. Lol.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox06TSX View Post
Keep this up man, it looks good. My dad sold me his tsx with a little over 200k miles on it. I'm also currently in college and it's sitting at around 312k miles right now. Still runs strong. You're doing good work, and I enjoyed watching this coming along. I need to make a build thread also, but I'm also not as good, nor have the resources that you do. I mainly have google, ebay, and amazon. Lol.
thanks!

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

My humble opinion, the wheels you went with look better on your TSX than the white ones. They just fit the "look" of the car better.

I know you could have had the white wheels repainted, but why bother when you had those wheels?

Looks good!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
My humble opinion, the wheels you went with look better on your TSX than the white ones. They just fit the "look" of the car better.

I know you could have had the white wheels repainted, but why bother when you had those wheels?

Looks good!
Thanks! I originally wanted to buy an rsx before I got my car and thats caused me to fall in love with the type r wheels. I agree the white doesn't really flow with my car, I'd love to own the gunmetal CL7 version in the future given the chance though.

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Circa June-August 2017- At this time I had just finished my junior year of high school and I was on summer break, this led to me having a lot of free time and some spare cash to spend on my car. I just found out about my local junkyards and started visiting them quite often and this lead me to start to reselling the various compatible/desirable accord parts to fellow TSX owners. I decided that I should open a TSX specific instagram page dedicated to selling all of the parts I got instead of clogging up my personal page. CL9PARTSFORSALE started as a result of this and has been going strong ever since.

The first things I found out were desirable was the Accord coilpack cover and accord intake manifold cover
In my opinion the black covers look so much better then the silver ones that come with our cars. Along with that the stock coilpack cover has an acura badge on it and replacing that is one more step in the full accord conversion

The next thing I did was order a ikonmotorsports rear aspec lip to match the front one I had, and after spending $200 on the lip and $100 to paint it the fitment was complete garbage even after cutting it up to try to mount it. I ended up peeling it off the car and throwing it away. sigh

Fortunately a couple days later in one of the rsx groups I'm in someone in NJ had just purchased a crashed factory aspec 04 cgp tsx for the engine and was parting out the body. I ended making the 3 hour drive to him and picked up the sideskirts, rear lip and oem window visors for $350.

I immediately dropped the car and the parts off at the paint shop and paid $250 to match the skirts, rear bumper + lip and touch up my front bumper
Apart from a adding a pair of 15mm rear spacers and an 2002 acura TL moonroof visor I was pretty content for mods for a while.

Here's a photoshoot I did of the car after falling in love with how it looked

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Circa September-December 2017
At this time I had started my senior year of high school and this is when most of the mods started to happen on my car.

Unfortunately on my first week of school there was a fight in the parking lot and the guys fell onto my car and left this huge ass dent

it just so happened that the security cameras at my school "weren't looking the right way" when this happened so I didn't know who did it and never found out. sigh

At this time I had started heavily importing parts from Japan and the UK and selling them on my page.

I ended up snagging a honeycomb grill for my car from the hauls of parts I got

If anyone is apart of the tsx facebook scene you should know of tsx obsession and the guys behind it. I ended up snagging this pair of aspec exhaust tips for my car from Mike and they suit the car perfectly

After getting tired of burning CD's and listing the the radio all the time I ended up buying a $50 ebay aux kit.

Snagged this set of 04/05 jdm amber corner tail lights but ended up selling them after finding out how gorgeous the 06/08 jdm lights are

As I'm writing this post this is still my favorite picture of my car to this date, if anyone knows me they'll know I post it alot

2004 Acura TSX [MSM]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement