CCColtsicehockey build thread - The Rebirth - Page 6 - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008TOTM 2007TOTM 2005

So I have been having starting issues with the TSX for the past 6 months I would say. I had about a week back in June of last year that the car wouldn't start. It finally started just in time for me to take it to Honda Day in Charlotte. So I kept driving it on and off no problem. Well back in November I tried to start it and nothing. Kept trying once a week for about a month. I am in the process of moving right now and obviously needed the car to run to move it so finally gave in this weekend and replaced the starter.

For anyone that is thinking of supercharging their TSX I recommend just replacing the starter at the same time. You can get one for $100-$150 at most and having to take everything back out with the terrible manifold design is a bitch.

I didn't document the entire process but took a couple pictures along the way.

Fuel lines and rain tapped up.

Blower off but this is where it had to stay throughout the process because I didn't not want to drain the aftercooler system to disconnect it.

Cleaned up the gas inside the manifold from all the failed starts. Also tried to get some of the oil buildup out as well.

This bolt here is the reason I say to replace the starter ahead of time. It is so hard to get at. There is also another bolt that is a pain that holds the blower on but it is only an issue if you have an aftercooler setup.

Manifold finally off. At this point I called it a night because my gf and I were headed to a party for the evening. All taped up so nothing gets in anywhere.

The culprit. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts after I got it off before putting the new one on just to have them test it and be sure it was the issue. On their test bench it would barely spin at all.

Replacement installed

Tearing this apart to fix was also my first actually look at my aftercooler because the shop that did my MT conversion installed the aftercooler/high boost setup for me as well.

After she started I got her moved over to the garage at the new house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonDetails View Post
Ditch the stickers and cheeseball tow hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
damn when did they start carrying j's racing tow hooks in bags of cheeseballs.
car driven: random piece of shit with a few shitty mods

Lots of JDM Parts for Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM
cYn
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Info Center / Car Care & DIY
TOTM 2014

Yup, changing a starter with a supercharger is a lot more work than normal, haha. When I changed my starter I decided to change the alternator as well, just to avoid ever removing the sc core again.

- Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Unknown
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. - Herbert Hoover
- The secret recipe to great tasting food is hunger. - Unknown
- The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering. - Bruce Lee
- If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton
- Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards. - Unknown
- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing. - Unknown
- If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Unknown
post #78 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cYn View Post
Yup, changing a starter with a supercharger is a lot more work than normal, haha. When I changed my starter I decided to change the alternator as well, just to avoid ever removing the sc core again.
That would have been a good idea actually. Never thought about it. However, I want to get a new alternator and new power steering pump and have them polished. On my future mods list.

Quote:
Quote:

post #79 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
cYn
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Info Center / Car Care & DIY
TOTM 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey View Post
That would have been a good idea actually. Never thought about it. However, I want to get a new alternator and new power steering pump and have them polished. On my future mods list.
I somewhat believe it's possible to remove the alternator without removing the SC. But it probably will require a lot of patience and the right tools to get into the really tight spaces. Try it out and see first, I don't think it will hurt to try. But I just couldn't do it without losing patience so I waited until my starter arrived and replaced both at the same time.

- Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Unknown
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. - Herbert Hoover
- The secret recipe to great tasting food is hunger. - Unknown
- The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering. - Bruce Lee
- If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton
- Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards. - Unknown
- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing. - Unknown
- If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Unknown
post #80 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

​​​​​​​
Quote:
Originally Posted by snYpz View Post
From memory, I think they are 18x9 +35 with 20mm and 25mm spacers in the rear. 215/40/18 tires.
Volk ce28n honda time attack.
Good memory. *Those are the correct specs. *I think spacers might have been 15mm and 20mm. *

Been a long time since I have been on here to post. *Check back and read on some posts here and there. *Still have even more plans for her but life keeps getting in the way. *I am making the first change to her in a long time right now. *After showing for so many years and the car being more show than anything else I took the car to the dragon back in November 2016. *I had an absolute blast with it. *I had planned to do some upgrades after that but not long after I had some serious issues with my V Wagon which ate all my car mod money until pretty much now. *

I want to build the car more now for the mountains and maybe even eventually take it to the track. *So out with the skinny stretched 215/40-18 tires on the 18x9 and in with some *meaty 255/35-18 tires. *

255/35-18 Nitto Invo. *Really wanted to do some Yokohama AD08R but was trying to stay within a budget for the time being to see home much I enjoy the car in this configuration. *If I love it I will switch out for those at it is pretty much never driven in the rain and only on weekends so having a soft track focused tire won't be the end of the world.

Old vs New

Some nice straight sidewalls

Old setup on the car still in the background as I only had two of the tires mounted for now as I wasn't sure they would fit and really didn't want to do any fender work.

Raised the car up 1/2in to get them to fit and even be able to turn the wheel. *

Thinking I will probably raise it another 3/4in so I have space for suspension travel with the beefier tires. *Hopefully this will be enough.

For the rears I have to finally install my extended studs I bought years ago to replace the factory studs I cut so I could use bolt on spacers. *I will also be removing most of the negative camber I had been running to fit wide wheels with stretched tires so I can run the rears mostly flat now instead. *

Quote:
Quote:

post #81 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

That looks great! Those are 18x9 +35 without the spacers this time around? 255/35 is definitely the route I'm going for tires too. Never liked super thin sidewalls, no fun to drive.

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj
post #82 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
That looks great! Those are 18x9 +35 without the spacers this time around? 255/35 is definitely the route I'm going for tires too. Never liked super thin sidewalls, no fun to drive.
Yeah they were always 18x9 +35 without the spacers. When I was running stretched tires I ran 15mm front and 20mm rear to make them +20 and +15 effectively.

Once I raise the car up a little I might actually be able to run a 5mm spacer up front and probably a 10mm in the rear.

Quote:
Quote:

post #83 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

I've been trying to figure out which wheel I want to go with. Want to be either at a 18x9 or 18x9.5 but since I have RL calipers I need something with a low enough offset/spoke design to fit, but also need something with a high enough offset to still fit 255s. The struggle.

Your setup looks so great!

post #84 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

When I had done some reading on here before ordering the tires and saw that someone was running 255/35-18 on a 18x9 +40. At the time my wheels were on the car and for some reason I remebered their specs as being the same as those so I ordered the tires. When I took them off to have the tires mounted I realized they were actually +35 offset and was worried they were going to rub but actually they fit perfect.

I would imagine a +35 offset would clear the RL calipers would it not?

Quote:
Quote:

post #85 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey View Post
I would imagine a +35 offset would clear the RL calipers would it not?
It really just depends on the spoke design. For many wheels, it's not quite enough. There's no absolute formula for knowing what will clear unfortunately. I know rough ranges but again I want to run as high an offset as possible to tuck in some width of those 255's.

post #86 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

So it only took 3 months but I finally got around to changing out my rear cut studs for the ARP extended ones I bought years ago. I had kept putting this off for fear it was going to be a pain in the ass. Ended up not being difficult at all.

New ARP studs. Opened and put in the freezer as it is supposed to make pulling them in easier.

The soon to be trash cut studs. Cut them years ago to take the easy route and use bolt on spacers. If I knew it would have been this easy I would have just went this route first.

Remove the two bolts holding the sliding caliper on.

Then remove the two bolts holding the caliper bracket on.

Once that is off you can remove the caliper

I could really use some new hubs it seems. This is what you get for starting out with your car up north.

Remove the three screws holding on the dust shield

My makeshift press. I read this on another forum about using a balljoint press to press out wheel studs. It works really well. I started using a ratchet to do it but later switched to using my cordless impact which made it go really fast.

The old junk all removed

Had to take a break to run to the store for some large nuts and washers for the next part. So grabbed a shot of the car up on the stands.

Large washed, two large nuts that are bigger than the stud, another washer, and then a nut the same thread pitch as the lugs. I torqued it all on slowly while watching from the back to see when it was fully pulled in. Started again using a ratchet but quickly switched to my cordless impact.

All pressed in

Everything back together

Moved onto testing out the suspension and jacking the wheel up to see how it would sit. Ended up raising the back of the car 5/8 of an inch to clear the larger tires.

All finished.

255 meat all around now. Widest tires I have ever run on the car before was 225. So these are a significant increase for me.

I think I have some more space I can play with in the rear. I think I can pull some camber out and allow the wheel to be 2-3mm closer to the rear fender. Maybe even 5mm possibly. Will test some 5mm spacers as some point to see what I can do.

Have some additional new parts coming for the car for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I will receive them and get them installed before my fall trip to the Dragon.

Quote:
Quote:

post #87 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

That looks PERFECT!!! I agree I think you could take a wee bit of camber out the back to flush em up just a hair. Great update!

post #88 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Bardi

Garage
post #89 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
That looks PERFECT!!! I agree I think you could take a wee bit of camber out the back to flush em up just a hair. Great update!
Thank you. Yeah there is too much camber in the rear in my opinion compared to the front. If I had to guess I would say I am somewhere between -1.75-2.5 in the front and somewhere between -2.75-3.5 in the rear. It has been so long since I have had it aligned last that I don't even remember.

Quote:
Quote:

post #90 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
TSX of the Month Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoc View Post
Dang.... you're still at it. Nice!!!
Yeah I am still around here from time to time checking in. Make small changes to the car setup once and a while. Have a whole bunch of plans for one final rebuild but home owner life and the Cadillac disaster last year really put a hold on all that. I won't ever leave here fully. The car will stay forever with the time an effort I have put into it.

Quote:
Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement