Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to Article:

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=20

There have been numerous intances of vibration in the TSX front end when accelerating. Usually at lower or more moderate speeds, the shimmy in the steering wheel can also be felt throughout the front end of the car.

The issue was attributed to an axle shaft problem very early on, but even replacements of axles has not proven to be a reliable solution to the problem. In fact, Heeltoe had sold for at least a year a new replacement aftermarket axle we believed to solve the problem. However when the issue arose in our own HTSpec TSX, said axle failed to resolve the issue. In fact, the inexpensive aftermarket axle we (an most all others) were using proved to exhibit worse vibrations that the factory units!

On a hunch, we purchased some new inner joints to install on our TSX's original axles. When we removed the old joint cup, we were impressed to see the problem so blantantly in front of us!

See the wear there? We'll zoom in for you...

The joint bearings ride on this surface and put a torsional load there to transmit power to the shaft then to the outer joint. When there is load on the axle it forces the joints bearings against this pulverized area of the joint causing a really nasty vibration! There is wear on the other two loaded surfaces as well but we are showing the worst one here to save space.

So there you have it. Replace the inner joint and you will be set! We have not determined a great method for knowing what side is the culprit side but it seems like more people have an issue with the right side (USDM passenger side) so we suggest starting there. The joint and boot kits are available on heeltoeauto.com and are linked to this article for your convenience.

While we were in the joint we noticed something else that you might want to be aware of. You know how mechanics tell you the lowering your car is bad for the axles? They usually tell you this when you have an outer joint noise or problem. However lowering the car has little or no effect on the outer joints. Rather, the inner joints can experience some abnormal wear.

The axle has a tripod on the inner end that mounts three bearings that ride in the cup of the inner joint. This is so the axle can vary in length as the suspension articulates. When you lower the car, you are actually making the axle compress all the way when you hit large bumps, and this can cause the bearings to bottom out in the base of the axle cup. See the image below. We've highlighted some witness marks on the inside of my inner joint cup. We have not yet seen this result in an actual failure of the axles, but it is something to be aware of.

Can be Purchased here:

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=65949&fb_source=message

·
Registered
127 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the inner joints referred to in the article are part of an axle.

I understand how the wear of that axle would cause vibrations, but what about the new aftermarket replacement axles? These should come with a brand new CV joints, with no wear whatsoever, yet the problem persists (or gets worse in some cases). Why would that be?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
nvm. :) *deleted*

·
Registered
4 Posts
So has anybody tried this. I bought my TSX a week ago knowing about the problem and thinking I could fix it. I got the price lowered because of the shaking. I had the axles rebuilt at a local shop which didn't work. So they replaced them today with Cardones. That fixed the 30 to 40 and 60 to 70 mph shakes but it now shakes at 20 mph. I found another thread that says this is common and due to the aftermarket axles being too long. Does this rebuild kit work? Or do I need to buy oem axles...and does that work? I can't stand the shaking and will not just put up with it, but I'd rather sell the car then waist money trying to fix a problem that can't be fixed.

·
Domel
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my '05 (MT) and it drives me nuts. I've already had 7 (SEVEN) aftermarket axles put in and out and my car still shakes in the speed range of 15 to 25mph. All of the installed aftermarket axles had some play on the joints which could be felt even before the instalation and I want to believe that there should be no or a minimal play there. Tomorrow, I'll step by the dealer's parts dept. and find out if the genuine Acura axle has got the same play like the aftermarket ones. If not, this will explain the crazy price of the OEM axles which cost 3 times more (approx. $0.5k) then for exapmle EMPI ones and than, somewhere in the next two weeks, I'm going to sucrefice $1200 to install the "golden" OEMs. I'll post how it went ASAP. This is my third TSX in six years and I've never had that problem before :(

·
Its Slammed Man
169 Posts
Wow, and all this time i thought it was a combination of alignment, balance, or tire wear. I wish there was a solution to this, it is pretty annoying.

·
TSX Noob
56 Posts
i got my tsx 04 on monday, discovered that it shakes between 2300 and 3300 rpm on 2nd gear only, i tought it was due to the torque effect (sorry i speak french) but i guess ill have to look further......

·
Registered
72 Posts
My car is lowered on Vogtland springs with Tokico blues, the vibration was only worse by this, so you guys think this Inner joint kit is the way to go? My tires wear evenly and balance/rotation/alignment is not the fix.

By the way, which side usually goes bad, I am def feeling it more on the drivers side is there a way to test if the axle is bad without removing it first?

·
Registered
150 Posts
i got my tsx 04 on monday, discovered that it shakes between 2300 and 3300 rpm on 2nd gear only, i tought it was due to the torque effect (sorry i speak french) but i guess ill have to look further......
My car is automatic, by any chance does this only happen around 20 miles per hour? (about 30 kilometers per hour)? My car shakes only at this speed

·
Registered
8 Posts
It works

This completely fixed my vibration under acceleration problem. It also involved changing the fewest parts and it was close to the least total cost and keeps the parts all OEM.

My car was an 04 with about 110K miles when I had this installed and I've got an extra 6000 miles since. It was only the passenger side part.

The Honda Accord Euro guys down in Australia believe this is the problem as well:
FINALLY THE ANSWER TO THE SHAKING EUROS (Well my one anyways =P)
The Australians also suggest its a weaker part and using the same part from one of the older accords would solve the problem. If this fix lasts as long as the OEM part did then I'll be happy.

I had taken the car to the shop to get it looked at and they incorrectly diagnosed it as needing a whole new axle, and recommended replacing the intermediate axle as well. They also incorrectly stated that it was the reason for the uneven tire wear the car had.

This should really be listed in the problems and fixed section as *the* fix. Since it involves replacing the fewest pars and is tons cheaper than swapping out entire axles.

-Morgan

·
Registered
4 Posts
This fixed the problem for me today. To recap:

I bought the car with the vibration at approx 40 and 60 mph and had the axles rebuilt at an axle shop which consisted of minimal if any parts replacement. This didn't fix it, so the shop put Cardone axles on which fixed the 40 and 60 mph shake but caused a much worse 20 mph shake.

I emailed Marcus at HT about the issue and he recommended replacing the right side only, but I just didn't want to take a chance so I bought both kits.

Today I took my OEM axles and the rebuild kits back to the shop. They rebuilt it free of charge. Before rebuilding they cleaned out the old inner joints and showed me. They thought they looked fine except for one tiny area which they thought wouldn't cause a shake. When he showed me the area it looked exactly like the damaged joint in the picture above. I said that's it, the kit will work. It was the right side only but I elected to replace both just for peace of mind. The shop was skeptical but rebuilt it for me anyway and it worked.

As for HT, I couldn't be happier. Probably the best customer service I've had in a while. I've since ordered a replacement heater blower from them and will certainly use them in the future. They also offer a military discount.

I can't seem to upload a picture of my bad joint, but it looks very similar to the picture above.

·
TSX Noob
56 Posts

I bought the car with the vibration at approx 40 and 60 mph and had the axles rebuilt at an axle shop which consisted of minimal if any parts replacement. This didn't fix it, so the shop put Cardone axles on which fixed the 40 and 60 mph shake but caused a much worse 20 mph shake.

I emailed Marcus at HT about the issue and he recommended replacing the right side only, but I just didn't want to take a chance so I bought both kits.

Today I took my OEM axles and the rebuild kits back to the shop. They rebuilt it free of charge. Before rebuilding they cleaned out the old inner joints and showed me. They thought they looked fine except for one tiny area which they thought wouldn't cause a shake. When he showed me the area it looked exactly like the damaged joint in the picture above. I said that's it, the kit will work. It was the right side only but I elected to replace both just for peace of mind. The shop was skeptical but rebuilt it for me anyway and it worked.

As for HT, I couldn't be happier. Probably the best customer service I've had in a while. I've since ordered a replacement heater blower from them and will certainly use them in the future. They also offer a military discount.

I can't seem to upload a picture of my bad joint, but it looks very similar to the picture above.
how much it cost you total ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
$125 per axle rebuild kit (you really probably only need one). $20 shipping. $100 labor (my ordiginal rebuild fee)

So total was $370...smooth ride...priceless.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts

Be sure to circle back with the shop and let them know it worked :)

Thanks soooo much for the feedback. Mind writing a review?
Honda Genuine Inner Axle Joint and Boot Kit, 04-08 Acura TSX - HeelToe Automotive

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just curious because I do not get the vibration shakes some of the TSXers is reporting during accelerating however I get it when I brake but I'm pretty sure it's my rotors being wrap. I noticed many posts is coming from the 04-05 model. Mine is the 06, has any one with the 06-08 models having this issue??

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
^I am having the issue with my 06 at 92k miles.

Marcus, I understand that you've rebuilt a few for the CA customers, but being out here in East Coast, we don't have that luxury of bringing the car to you to get it done. And to be honest, I am still a little lost on where that parts belong on the axle. So would you be kind enough to do a little write-up and take some pictures on your next rebuild??

Thanks a ton!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Just curious because I do not get the vibration shakes some of the TSXers is reporting during accelerating however I get it when I brake but I'm pretty sure it's my rotors being wrap. I noticed many posts is coming from the 04-05 model. Mine is the 06, has any one with the 06-08 models having this issue??
You have a problem with your brake pads. Consider the HTSpec Stage 0 brake kit.

^I am having the issue with my 06 at 92k miles.

Marcus, I understand that you've rebuilt a few for the CA customers, but being out here in East Coast, we don't have that luxury of bringing the car to you to get it done. And to be honest, I am still a little lost on where that parts belong on the axle. So would you be kind enough to do a little write-up and take some pictures on your next rebuild??

Thanks a ton!! :)
I am working on a VIDEO on how to do it actually :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I actually just had to replace a passenger side axle on my TSX. I bought a cardone one and it shakes at 20mph, the guy doing my alignment said yea 20 and 60. Unfortunately I don't know what the car felt like before since I bought it wrecked, and I don't think it's the wheels, it's more driveline related and rpm dependent. Anything I can do to make this cardone axle work? I have the oem one but it came apart at the outer boot in the wreck, and it was stuck in the control arm(it might have gotten bent). Would I just be better off getting an OEM one? does 04-05 and 06-08 matter? Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts