Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to Article:

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=20

There have been numerous intances of vibration in the TSX front end when accelerating. Usually at lower or more moderate speeds, the shimmy in the steering wheel can also be felt throughout the front end of the car.

The issue was attributed to an axle shaft problem very early on, but even replacements of axles has not proven to be a reliable solution to the problem. In fact, Heeltoe had sold for at least a year a new replacement aftermarket axle we believed to solve the problem. However when the issue arose in our own HTSpec TSX, said axle failed to resolve the issue. In fact, the inexpensive aftermarket axle we (an most all others) were using proved to exhibit worse vibrations that the factory units!

On a hunch, we purchased some new inner joints to install on our TSX's original axles. When we removed the old joint cup, we were impressed to see the problem so blantantly in front of us!

See the wear there? We'll zoom in for you...

The joint bearings ride on this surface and put a torsional load there to transmit power to the shaft then to the outer joint. When there is load on the axle it forces the joints bearings against this pulverized area of the joint causing a really nasty vibration! There is wear on the other two loaded surfaces as well but we are showing the worst one here to save space.

So there you have it. Replace the inner joint and you will be set! We have not determined a great method for knowing what side is the culprit side but it seems like more people have an issue with the right side (USDM passenger side) so we suggest starting there. The joint and boot kits are available on heeltoeauto.com and are linked to this article for your convenience.

While we were in the joint we noticed something else that you might want to be aware of. You know how mechanics tell you the lowering your car is bad for the axles? They usually tell you this when you have an outer joint noise or problem. However lowering the car has little or no effect on the outer joints. Rather, the inner joints can experience some abnormal wear.

The axle has a tripod on the inner end that mounts three bearings that ride in the cup of the inner joint. This is so the axle can vary in length as the suspension articulates. When you lower the car, you are actually making the axle compress all the way when you hit large bumps, and this can cause the bearings to bottom out in the base of the axle cup. See the image below. We've highlighted some witness marks on the inside of my inner joint cup. We have not yet seen this result in an actual failure of the axles, but it is something to be aware of.

Can be Purchased here:

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=65949&fb_source=message

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
I have the stock axles but was thinking of replacing since I'm at 85k miles. Do you think I should just get these or replace the axles? Very interesting write up and very much useful info so thanks for sharing and donating your time!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Don't replace them unless you need to!
Well I've been having the vibration and replaced my rotors but now I realize it's the axle, now if this is the culprit I'll just replace this part right? As far as insoecting my axles I saw no signs of it needing replacement other than this irritating vibration.

·
LuCre
88 Posts
i have sort of the same problem but i have a wobbling while accelerating amd shaking steering wheel usually around 40-55mph only under acceleration tho . . . i was planning on replacing both my axles until i saw this post . . . do think this could be related to my car issue?

2004 tsx 5AT @ 81K

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
i have sort of the same problem but i have a wobbling while accelerating amd shaking steering wheel usually around 40-55mph only under acceleration tho . . . i was planning on replacing both my axles until i saw this post . . . do think this could be related to my car issue?

2004 tsx 5AT @ 81K
I have te same exact issue but at speeds between 45-65mph. I spoke to my dad by he suggested for me to replace th axle and if the problem occurs again then I'll get this but it's definitely a helpful thread.

·
LuCre
88 Posts
I have te same exact issue but at speeds between 45-65mph. I spoke to my dad by he suggested for me to replace th axle and if the problem occurs again then I'll get this but it's definitely a helpful thread.
Yeah mine is also from 40-60mph I mis-typed ..... && That what I think I may do as well just replace both axles and see what happens

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Just wondering how hard is it to replace this on one's own? And how much if I need to find a mechanic to work on it? I've been having vibration issue during acceleration (especially pulling hard on second gear on 6mt) and also like mentioned above around 40-65mph. Thanks! :)

·
LuCre
88 Posts
Have you replaced your axles yet ? If so does the problem still exist or was it fixed ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the inner joints referred to in the article are part of an axle.

I understand how the wear of that axle would cause vibrations, but what about the new aftermarket replacement axles? These should come with a brand new CV joints, with no wear whatsoever, yet the problem persists (or gets worse in some cases). Why would that be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rest of the story?

As you mentioned this problem plagues the Acura TSX like no other Honda. It also seems you're solution solves the problem of after-market axles. The unanswered question though is: why is this happening to the TSX? More importantly, is there a (mostly) permanent fix?

Is the inner joint poorly designed? Not strong enough to handle the K24? Bad manufacturing batch in some TSX's? Design flaw? New manufacturer of the part? Manufacturing flaw (not enough grease)?

Could we substitute perhaps the inner joint from a V6 accord?

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the inner joints referred to in the article are part of an axle.

I understand how the wear of that axle would cause vibrations, but what about the new aftermarket replacement axles? These should come with a brand new CV joints, with no wear whatsoever, yet the problem persists (or gets worse in some cases). Why would that be?
The inner joint IS part of the axle for sure. New aftermarket axles have NOT been reliable in fixing vibrations without inducing new ones. They all seem to be pretty crappy, or at least hit and miss.

As you mentioned this problem plagues the Acura TSX like no other Honda. It also seems you're solution solves the problem of after-market axles. The unanswered question though is: why is this happening to the TSX? More importantly, is there a (mostly) permanent fix?

Is the inner joint poorly designed? Not strong enough to handle the K24? Bad manufacturing batch in some TSX's? Design flaw? New manufacturer of the part? Manufacturing flaw (not enough grease)?

Could we substitute perhaps the inner joint from a V6 accord?
I have no idea why the TSX is getting it so bad...maybe the geometry has something to do with it. I think you have a lot of good guesses there. It could be any of those. Or none of them.

An Accord V6 part seems like a good idea on the surface...but 1- is it any better? 2- does it even fit? I dunno either answer. All I know is, my TSX is fixed.

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
All I know is, my TSX is fixed.
Marcus - have you performed this install on any customer TSX's? if so, how has the feedback been?

and also, is this a repair a reputable shop can take care of? more specifically - sure, shops are used to replacing axles and the such, but what about this application where the existing axle is being repaired?

I am very excited at the idea of fixing my 'wobble.'

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
I want this wobble fixed! Has anyone replaced the part n determined ge wobble fixed?

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Thanks for all your work trying to figure this out. How many miles has your TSX been vibration-free?
Not many, a couple thousand maybe.

I am not sure the point behind asking. Maybe you are wondering if I am prematurely stating the fix? I found the wear, I replaced the worn part...fixed! :) It took about 80-90K miles for it to start shaking in the first place so I don't know why it wouldn't be a long long time before it comes back...

Marcus - have you performed this install on any customer TSX's? if so, how has the feedback been?

and also, is this a repair a reputable shop can take care of? more specifically - sure, shops are used to replacing axles and the such, but what about this application where the existing axle is being repaired?

I am very excited at the idea of fixing my 'wobble.'
I am supposed to do one this weekend I think. But again...I see no reason to doubt the fix. If the part is worn it gets replaced, ba da bing :) Shops replace axles as a whole because it is cheaper and faster for them. They are lazy in some cases, and in others it makes more sense. For this car for this repair...doesn't make sense because it does not consistently fix the issue.

It's like questioning whether or not a new seal will fix an oil leak...

I want this wobble fixed! Has anyone replaced the part n determined ge wobble fixed?
YES, ME! Don't you guys believe me?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
I'm not sure of the life expectancy of axles but have 84k on mines, should I get these fixed or just replace the axles?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts