Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Marcus, is it possible to get a brief step-by-step guide for doing this repair? Seems pretty straightforward, but then axles are a pretty important component, and I wouldnt wanna miss anything.

Would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not many, a couple thousand maybe.

I am not sure the point behind asking. Maybe you are wondering if I am prematurely stating the fix? I found the wear, I replaced the worn part...fixed! :) It took about 80-90K miles for it to start shaking in the first place so I don't know why it wouldn't be a long long time before it comes back...

YES, ME! Don't you guys believe me?
Marcus, its been a frustrating road, so I definitely want to fix this for good. As it is, I'll be taking my car in for the second time regarding this issue...and I don't work on my TSX regularly nor am I in any business related to autos, so I need my fix to at least as permanent as can be.

So, there is no implication of disbelief from me. Just a concerned TSX owner like you (though without the expertise). Like I said, thank you for your work on this. I hope that point is not missed.

I even went so far as to send your link on to my local mechanic here in Walnut, who's shared with me that this issue not only pervades our TSX but Civics and Accords as well. He thinks the axle design from the early '00s as a whole is flawed, but Honda/Acura hasn't done anything about it. I hope sharing the tech article at least sheds some light on the trend he's been seeing.

Again, thanks for the solution. Didn't mean to offend with the question, not here to disprove anything.

EDIT: to add to the body of knowledge, mine didn't wear out until 80-90k either. So at least regarding that, there are at least 2 of us that can vouch for this part lasting that long (and I'm sure there are more). Replacing it now for me would last the lifetime of the vehicle.

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
I'm not sure of the life expectancy of axles but have 84k on mines, should I get these fixed or just replace the axles?
If you are getting shaking you would need to fix it. If you can go 200K without shaking there is no need :)

i believe you Marcus! its great that you found a solution to this, i still notice the wobble just about every instance. how long did the install take?
It takes me a little less than an hour.

Marcus, is it possible to get a brief step-by-step guide for doing this repair? Seems pretty straightforward, but then axles are a pretty important component, and I wouldnt wanna miss anything.

Would be much appreciated.
Hmmm...yea...I have rebuilt axles like these in the past quite a few times. I think for a DIY you could be spending a lot of time and getting kinda messy. But it really is not hard to do. I will try to toss together a how-to or something at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys, this is the fix to your vibration/wobbling issue. I had mine replaced by Mr. Heeltoe himself yesterday and so far driven ~100 miles with no problems.

I had this issue at about 80k miles a few weeks ago and so I searched online to find the fix. I saw a few thread where people would replace the whole axle and though that it was the way to go. I then came across one of Marcus's blog and saw that the price would be cheaper, and plus I get to keep my original axles. So I ordered both left and right and give it a try. He installed the right side first, I test drove, and the wobbling feeling my car had was gone. It turns out that I only needed the right side so I saved even more. He was kind enough not to charge a restocking fee either.

Thanks again Marcus for the great service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like I've mentioned, I've already replaced my axles once with aftermarket ones....EMPI axles to be exact. So I'm wondering if the OEM axle cups would work with my situation.

I know there's no guarantees, but if the EMPI axles were designed to fit with the OEM components, shouldn't Heeltoe's solution work with the axles I already have? Hoping Marcus can chime in, but cool if not.

Is my logic sound? Or is there something I'm missing? I'm going in on Tuesday, and I want to commit to this solution....just seeing if I'm stupid for thinking this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Marcus,
I too had the vibration issue around 85k miles. I replaced the axles, like many others, using the aftermarket axles from your site. The solution was worked great for the vibrations but now, 11k mi later, there's a squeaking noise coming from the driver side. The noise is not constant and its frequency depends on speed. It is very noticeable at slower speeds like 20 mph but at higher speeds, the frequency increases and the noise fades away. At first I thought it was the rotor rubbing on the brakes or the brake shield but I checked and there's clearance all around (btw the sound occurs independent of braking). When I turn the rotor by hand with the wheel off, I also hear this slight grinding sound. Have you ever heard of something like this before or know if this can be fixed with the solution discussed in this thread? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

·
free beard rides!
961 Posts
I seen this in another thread and just wanted to let everyone know that I had the same issue at about 65K and took it to the dealer and they replaced them under warranty, I then had the same problem again at about 90K and took it to another dealer and again it was replaced under my extended 100K warranty. So after listening to the dealer I raised my drop and havent had the issue since...heres the thread Im talking about

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/33598-wheels-shaking-resolution-posts-22-30-a-2.html#post506380

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Alright so i just got my Honda Genuine Inner Axle Joint and Boot Kit from Heeltoe (Thank you sir for that packaging which is TOP NOTCH i might add) Passenger side. I am ready to go have this fixed NOW!! Anyone know of a good shop that would know how to do this? im pretty sure every shop knows how to do it but since i dont have a regular mechanic i was wondering if anyone had any good experience with one from the NYC area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Must say I'm reluctant to "trust" mrheeltoe because once I try the inner joint, I'm sure he wouldn't take it back if the issue persisted. BUT I just put a NEW, not a remand axle in my car and the issue got worse. I drove about 4kms and took that axel back out and put the Stocker in. I read a little bit about the intermediate shafts and the carrier bearing and might look at that. If they will take this axle back I will most likely be replacingthe inner joint via HT

·
Registered
2 Posts
vibration while accelerating

I just replaced my lower A-Arm bushings since they were cracked. All three on each side, compliance, front arm lower and front lower shock absorber bushings. But after the replacement and reinstallation, a vibration occurs while I accelerate, it's very noticeable while accelerating but not so much while at constant speed. I thought that an alignment and balance would fix it but had no luck. I did some research and found out that axles cause vibration while accelerating. I'm just confused cause it was not felt before the bushing replacement. I'm hoping you can assist me.

Jaime

They very well may, Earl. They SHOULD. I just can't promise the axles are made to the same length/spec as OEM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JMD, any update?

I have a vibration coming while coasting at speed 60mph+. The higher the speed, the more it vibrates. Do you guys think it's the axle related problem? I'm an 06 auto with a-spec drop.

Wheel balances seem to fix it for a week and then they get bad again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got mine fixed last week. I replaced the axles and voilá the vibration was gone. Just make sure you buy the parts from a genuine honda dealer or parts store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone experienced this Steering wheel wobble at a cruising speed between 55 mph in 65 . Already went through 2 brand new set of tires and a set of new rooms can not seem to shake the steering wheel wobble. I was told by a local shop that my split shaft bearing was making a noise can that cause this issue as well

21 - 38 of 38 Posts