Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
04 6spd 2.4L TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know my car is a dinosaur, but I own a 2004 6spd 2.4L TSX and I've been searching a little on here and elsewhere for a quick peek at removing the downpipe (or flex pipe) that goes from the header down to the catalytic converter. I tore it on sharp rocks when circulating offroad like an idiot 6 months ago and now the sound and gas smell when the car is idle has become a real issue.

I know it's only 2 spring/bolts and an O-ring on the header and 3 bolts and a gasket on the catalytic converter, but the part that worries me before I go rent a lift by the hour is what exactly do I have to remove in order to reach the 2 header bolts. These will most probably be as F*** rusted out as the ones near the catalytic converter (which I plan on simply cutting with a reciprocating saw anyway). If you did that job on a 2004-2008 TSX before and have pictures, please post them here! That would be much appreciated! :)

inb4 why don't you just wrap a metal sheet around your broken flex pipe and put U clamps around it on both sides: well I already have a brand new shiny downpipe/flex assembly with all the required bolts and gaskets ready to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done it but no pics. Its not all that hard. Soak the spring bolts and use a very long extention. They are not that hard to get to from underneath. The original converter is not exactly bolted on. You will need a cut off tool to grind away the odd fasteners and seperate the head pipe from the converter. I used a downpipe that was cheap on ebay from a place in Canada and it fit like crap so I got a Walker from Rock Auto that fit better. Try and either reuse the original donut or get an acura part. Seems the aftermarket are a bit too thick. The hardest part was getting those spring bolts started and getting them tighetrnd up enough to actually seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts