Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 04 tsx with 154k miles, I had it aligned and then replaced the upper Control arms lower ball joints and both cv
Shafts and my car clunks and shakes mainly over bumps or on rough roads? Its much better on smooth freeways but everything in the front end is tight, I'm at My wits end? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking struts? Sway bar links?? I even checked the motor mounts

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Bad struts and endlinks sounds similar, See if your endlinks have play in them.

What does the car sound like when you go over a speed bump?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a clunk-clunk over bumps. End links aren't tight, but would they cause all
That????

·
Registered
127 Posts
End-links might cause the clunking/thudding sound. Youtube it and see if that's the sound you hear.

Also check your RSB bushings, I bet they're worn at 150K miles. Pull on the bar and see if there's excessive play or thudding similar to what you hear going over bumps.

Look at your struts to see if they're covered in a film of oil. Press on your trunk - suspension should be firm.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Front, or rear?
Rear endlinks are a very common problem area on many cars - the TSX included. If there's ANY play at all if you grab one and jerk it back/forth, then replace it. You would be surprised how little amount of play can cause all kinds of loud, annoying noises.

I currently have a clunk/rattle in the front of the car. I'm hoping it's a front endlink, but fear it could be my lower control arm bushing -- the bolt has been seized in it for a few years and if it needs to be replaced, it'll be a lot of shop $$ to have that done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's from The front, no oily film. Guess I'll start with end links. The rear is tight and quiet

·
My car whines
637 Posts
i am hearing a clunk from the front while going over bumps as well. So far, upper control arm, ball joints, tie rods, all seem fine. My passenger side compliance bushing was completely destroyed to the point where the LCA was contacting the subframe so I thought that was the source of the clunking. Ended up replacing the bushing and the clunking is still there. I do notice some play in the passenger side endlink as well as the cv axle. Ordered some moog endlinks from rock auto and hopefully that will get rid of the clunking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah same thing with my bushings; fixed them and no dice.

·
Turd Ferguson
164 Posts
Front endlinks and ball joints, bushings if not.

My '01 Accord had worn out front endlinks, which resulted with a clunking sound over bumps. However, if you hit a bump that impacts both front wheels identically, it was pretty quiet. That narrowed it down to swaybar related, which points to endlinks.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
In my case (to f/u on my earlier post), I am sure it's my front left endlink. I was doing some maintenance on the car yesterday - new MTF, oil change, replace front lower engine mount back to OEM). I pulled, pried, banged, and shook every front-end suspension component I could. I finally found a slight bit of play on the front left endlink. Shaking the endlink produced no noticeable play, but banging the swaybar near the endlink with the palm of my hand produced a slightly loose clunk feeling which wasn't the case on the right side. Makes sense, as the clunking noise seemed to come from the left and wasn't produced on every bump - just occasional.
New endlinks are like $40/ea so it's not the end of the world.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
replaced both front endlinks today and the clunking is still there. i'm suspecting that it is the cv axles now. can anyone tell me if it is normal or not to have some play when you pull on the cv axle near the inner joint?

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
There should be some play in the axles as they're designed to move in a range of angles and still transfer power (constant velocity joints 101). There's a chance that one joint is bad, but a clunking over bumps wouldn't typically cause that I wouldn't think. By chance are one or more of the nuts holding the shock (at the top) loose? What about the strut tower bar nuts? Loosen and re-torque all of these just to be sure. I hope it's something that simple, as axles are a PITA and $$.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I'm pretty sure the strut tower bolts are all torqued down correctly since I made sure to do that when I installed my coilovers. The clunking has been there before I installed coilovers so the noise should be from somewhere else. I do notice that there are slight tears in the outer LCA bushing where the front strut fork mounts to... maybe that could be the source of the clunking?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see you share my same problem.. I have been searching for this problem for a very long time.

I changed every bushing in the LCA, the lower ball joints, swapped in coilovers, changed both endlinks and the problem still persists.

I've taken a break from continuing the search for a while now because I've been so discouraged.

Please keep me up to date if you remedy this problem.

I actually have a thread going on this with constant updates:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...-twitchy-sensitive-steering-2.html#post870798

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced my sway bar links, one was so loose I broke it clean off with my hand by pulling on it. and the drivers side upper control arm nut was stripped and actually backed against the cotter key and that was loose and shaking also, that solved 99% of my problems, but it still clunks and shakes a little over bumps but im almost positive its my original 165k mile struts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced my sway bar links, one was so loose I broke it clean off with my hand by pulling on it. and the drivers side upper control arm nut was stripped and actually backed against the cotter key and that was loose and shaking also, that solved 99% of my problems, but it still clunks and shakes a little over bumps but im almost positive its my original 165k mile struts
Check the front and rear Motor mounts. Especially the rear - it's very hard to see, but if it goes, you have have a lot of vibration and clunking. Same is true for the front. The cluck is the engine moving on the broken mount. Doesn't hurt to check all the mounts. I had the same issue around 150K miles on mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where is the rear located?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my case (to f/u on my earlier post), I am sure it's my front left endlink. I was doing some maintenance on the car yesterday - new MTF, oil change, replace front lower engine mount back to OEM). I pulled, pried, banged, and shook every front-end suspension component I could. I finally found a slight bit of play on the front left endlink. Shaking the endlink produced no noticeable play, but banging the swaybar near the endlink with the palm of my hand produced a slightly loose clunk feeling which wasn't the case on the right side. Makes sense, as the clunking noise seemed to come from the left and wasn't produced on every bump - just occasional.
New endlinks are like $40/ea so it's not the end of the world.
Was it your endlink?

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts