Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been dealing with my driver side low beam light for a while. A couple months ago I put in new headlights after the driver side was damaged in a side collision. Low beams worked fine. Went to Austin with my gf for a conference she had and had all the time in the world free so I washed my car like every day.

Driving back from Austin, I noticed my driver side low beam flickering occasionally. It got worse, until eventually the driver side bulb went out. Replaced it and that's when I noticed the black base of the bulb had exploded. The first replacement bulb worked fine for a day or two maybe, then same issue with the flickering and going out. Inspected the bulb, looked fine. I believe the culprit was the black base that managed to melt all over the igniter. Tried to clean it out with a nail today hoping to rejuvinate the connections, but that didn't help either. Looks like I may have to buy a $200+ igniter :-/

Things to consider:
-New bumper that was put on did not come with new grills (you know, the part where fog lights would go if I had them). Since the collision was on the driver side, that grill was smashed and the bumper does not have a grill in that slot, just a void. Passenger side does have the grill.

-Funny thing is, when I took out both driver and passenger bulbs to compare them, I noticed the water seal gasket was missing from the passenger side (which has had no issues), and isn't that funny because the driver side has a perfect water seal but is the one with the issues. :puke:

-The bulbs were very cheap, so maybe word of caution never use cheap bulbs as they could cost you so much more in the long run.

So basically what I'm asking, A: any other ideas if cleaning out the igniter would work?
B: since the driver side has a void where the little grill/fog light would go, do you think the bulb exploded because the ballast got wet during the car wash, resulting in arcing that ruined the bulb? Or do you think it was a defected bulb that just **** all over the igniter

I'm guessing I'm just going to have to drop the $240 on a new socket/igniter, but do you think the ballast may also need replacing after getting wet? I'd really hate to buy a new igniter only to have the same thing happen again

Man, cars are sooooo fun sometimes...

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
I just bought a new used ignitor off the classifieds for 50$ shipped. Keep an eye out for a used one - I think they're about 70-80$ on eBay. It might just be me, but with most electronics ... it either works or it doesn't, so I really don't care for anything new.

If I were you in your position, I'd switch the ignitor over from the passenger side to see if the same thing happens. Make sure your ballast has that rubber grommet seal thing to prevent it from getting wet. A missing fog light wouldn't cause any problems, your ballast sees way more water than.

I'm also going through a headlight prob right now, but it is due to condensation which looks like it got to the ignitor, which ruined both the bulb and the ballast.
Remember to replace your fuse with the proper amperage as well. (15A)

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
^+1 agreed. and you want to be careful with these components if you replace one thing but the other has been affected especially by water, it could cause the part your replaced to fail.

Johnny, did you get the ignitor yet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responses. Yeah it just hit me today that I should probably buy used parts rather than new

Since we're so familiar with our headlights by now, tell me, do the two side pegs on the bulb actually fit into the ignitor? I've never been able to get them to fit and twist/lock into the igniter (but like I said, passenger side still works fine). I'm not sure if that's because I've had cheap bulbs that don't perfectly fit, but I'm hesitant to spend the $100+ on the expensive headlights when the same thing could potentially happen again

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Same thing happened to me. My lights started flickering for a bit, then poof, gone.

It could be that you didn't sit the bulb with the ignitor properly. This happened to me and my bulb base got burnt (visibly). And yea all D2S bulb should twist and lock solidly. I've used them all and I can confirm they all sit in with the stock ignitor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.