Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The daily Summer storm has me stuck inside, so this is a perfect time to introduce myself to the forum.

I hope you don't mind the user name. Rather than a reflection of my sunny disposition, it's a tribute to an old album by EON :)

I've been an auto enthusiast for over 20 years and enjoy working on my vehicles, especially when it comes to performance improvements. The heat down here is a little oppressive for working on cars in the Summer, but the other months make up for it.

My last Acura was a brand new 99 GS-R and I loved it! If I remember correctly, it had a Comptech RSB, GAB STB, AEM CAI, Bilstein dampers and H&R springs. It was easy to modify and fun to drive!

Since then, I've had a '02 MKIV GTI , '92 SR20DET S13 and '97 B14 SE-R. My current weekend/track car is a '97 SR20DET S14 and I just picked up an '04 CL9.

The TSX brought me back for two reasons:

1. Great suspension
2. Quality

This is going to be my new DD and I'll be putting a lot of highway miles on her, so I was happy to see the wealth of information on the site. Here's my TSX improvement plan as it stands today:

- Hondata ECU Flash
- A-Spec Suspension
- TL RSB
- CT CAI
- 06-08 Intake CAM
- Still undecided on a header...

I'll start taking some pics when I get the ECU back from flashing, but I have to say this is a one owner FL car with no rust, all the docs and is in immaculate shape for 145k miles. It still has the original clutch and rotors, but shifts like butter and stops great....amazing...

I'm looking forward to making some positive contributions very soon, so I'll see you around the forums!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get some pics up of the TSX over the weekend.

Here are some of my former GF's. The last one is assigned to weekends only :)

Not the best pics, but they will give you an idea:

I can't find the sheet, but the 240 pulled some amazing numbers on a DynoJet. .

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pics added. In a few weeks I'll be taking off the fogs and going back to the stock inserts, installing the A-Spec suspension and adding a TL RSB. After that, I need to find a radio with working HVAC lights and do some research on a good replacement street clutch.

·
David Path
1,650 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Clean and lovely looking tsx!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks TSXpath.

I wasn't sure if I should start a separate thread regarding my experiences so far, so I'll just add on to this one :)

It's been a little over a year being the 2nd owner.

The first thing I did after picking up the car was take it to the local Acura deal down the street and have them change the Oil, Coolant, Brake and Power Steering Fluid. They said the power steering was leaking and wanted to replace the seals, so I had them do it.

I replaced the wipers, cabin and intake filters. One of the HID bulbs burned out so I replaced them both with the OEM part. The passenger door lock actuator wasn’t’ working when I bought the car, so I picked up an OEM replacement to install later. So far, nothing unexpected for a car this age.

Just when I thought things would settle down for a bit, the dreaded issue with the dash lights turned up. I was very upset since the previous owner had the circuit board replaced less than 4 years ago. Driving at night with no dash lights was awful on long trips. I did the troubleshooting using the FSM and determined that the replacement board failed.

After going back and forth with Acura Care and the dealership, the local Acura dealer agreed to do a courtesy repair on the board if I paid for the labor. The car was well past the extended warranty that Honda/Acura extended for the defective boards, so I was happy they stood behind their reputation for working with customers.

Not even a month later, the slight shimmy I noticed when I bought the car and attributed to the worn out tires turned into a really major shimmy. A trip to the local tire store confirmed what I already knew; the front alignment was out and the two rear tires had abnormal wear. The balance was way off on the back set. The alignment rack was showing 1 degree of negative camber in the rear, which shouldn’t be a big deal. I inspected the rear bushings when they had the car on the rack and could see that they were showing their age. Again, nothing unexpected…

I'm a huge believer in good shoes, so I decided to get a lifetime alignment and install new max performance summer tires. The shop gave me a very good deal on Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position's, but I had to settle with 225/45/17 (slightly smaller diameter) and deal with the speedometer error. It reads 84 mph at 80 mph. No big deal, but the odometer is reflecting higher mileage than it should. On the positive side, I haven’t received a speeding ticket in a year :)

After the tires and alignment, the body roll during sharp cornering seemed more pronounced, so I picked up a new OEM TL rear sway bar with new OEM bushings. I was going to install it after taking my 240 to Road Atlanta, but the car gods had something fun planned for me a day before the HPDE.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The replacement coolant hoses that I purchased from Australia didn't fit the SR20DET, so I spent all day at NAPA matching up custom lines. Just as I was tightening down the last intake manifold bolt, it cross threaded and snapped off in the aluminum head.

Chin Motorsports doesn't process refunds due to mechanical failures, so my friend Dave told me to throw the TSX RSB in the trunk with my new OEM pads and some tools before heading up to Hotlanta.

Day 1 was great, except for the fact that I was being passed left and right. The front rotors started to shake a little in the 2nd to last session with the Duralast pads, but a little scuffing on the stock rotors and new OEM pads smoothed out the braking to a normal feel. After all the sessions ended, we installed the RSB.

Day 2 was much better. My lap times improved for several reasons, but the biggest was the RSB. Wow, what a difference it was to finally get rotation! Braking was smooth and fade was minimal. I may add SS lines for better feel/modulation at a later date. That said, I normally don't run stock pads and OEM fluid, so they will be replaced with high temp before the next HPDE. Actually, I think this was the first time I ever ran a HPDE with stock pads and fluid...the TSX did really good!

Now I'm back with a big smile on my face and it's time to continue adding to the car.

This is what will be coming up:

- New 2004 A-Spec suspension sitting in my garage and ready to be installed
- New CT-Engineering header arriving this week
- Used but low mileage 2010 K20S3 LSD with bearings, also arriving this week

Before I install anything, I'm going to get the 240 patched up and use it as a DD while I send out the TSX ECU to Hondata for a re-flash.

I'm also thinking about a baseline dyno so I can see exactly what it does and then a few more once the CT headers and intake are installed...I'm still researching intakes...but I would like to see the dyno numbers on a car with this mileage.

That's if for now :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dude sorry to hear about the 240 issue. But congrats on getting out ther in the tsx. I'm jealous of the lsd.

I ran my car with chin at Texas world speedway recently. I had a blast. I have the reflash and can tell you it's night and day. Enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks tsxtx. I'm hoping that I'll feel the same after the re-flash. This car is really slow compared to the 240, but it's fun to drive and a lot more comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised that it felt so composed at the track, especially after the RSB.

Send me a PM with your info and I'll say hello at the next Chin event you attend. I'll be back at Road Atlanta in mid-October. I'm probably taking the 240, but if the LSD is in, I'm taking the TSX.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I picked up a couple of items this week:

- Comptech Header (not sure if I want to install it based on some reviews on output, but the build quality is amazing. Decisions, decisions.... )
- Civic Si LSD

The 240 was dropped off at a local shop last night to extract and repair the portion of the head damaged by the snapped/cross threaded bolt and install some custom TSX project retrofits from GreenKouki.

There is a shop a few hours away from here that can do the base Hondata reflash at their shop for $400 in under 45 minutes, so I'm wondering if I should install the intake and header before the reflash or just get a stock reflash first. They offered to dyno tune it for an additional $125.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The way mine worked and the way I have understood it there is only one hondata reflash ( no header and intake vs stock flash) and I think it has to be done by hondata in cali, mine was. There is also no customization unless you purchase flash pro.

It sounds like that is what the shop thinks you are trying to do. If that is the case you need a flash pro and 07/08 ecu.

If not I think you will have to mail your ecu to hondata. Perhaps im incorrect if so let me know!!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They can actually tune and reflash on site without the Flashpro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts