Acura TSX Forum banner

'04 TSX Alpine H/U install

8K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  phrequenc 
First post here:

Recently made my '04 Acura TSX my only car and would like to get my Alpine CD/MP3 player into it. I'm not in need of adding amplifiers or any additional components, just the deck.

The plan is to buy the OEM MP3 attachment kit (08B06-SEC-210) and install where the storage bin currently sits. This would leave the OEM radio intact, saving some cash on a custom fabrication job.

I've installed decks in other cars, but never with any complex wiring involved, just plug-n-play adapters. How would I keep the factory deck running while adding the Alpine deck down below? I can solder just fine, but I'd rather find an adapter if it exists. I would only add another source of volts if totally necessary.
Why add a deck and maintain the factory head unit? The only thing the after-market head unit has on the factory unit is the MP3 player function and if you buy the OE MP3 attachment you'd totally cancel out the need for the Alpine deck altogether. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

CL7-R

since the '04 doesn't have HFL, this is a much smaller problem than mine! IMO.... I would use the Alpine deck as the primary! use the aux on the Alpine for the stock deck. this would mean your cars deck is completely intact, you have 6-disc cd changer, tuner (x2!!), XM radio and mp3! youll be good to go!
now this is not hard, there is a harness for the tsx, I'm not possitive but I think its exactly the same as the 1998-2002 accord. now that the alpine deck is attached your old deck is not able to work.
to make that work you'll need to completely rewire your stock deck so that the power line is still intact (which now that I think about it you'll need to split it... and double the fuse) and then solder wires to make L+R RCA wires work. its that easy...

Obviously Im not that detailed here. but when I do it myself.... I'll be quite detailed
This is actually what Im good at! gimme a shout if you need any other help... or if someone spots that im wrong about anything.... let me know!
Why would you want 2 tuners?

'04 doesn't have XM

Who needs a 6 disc changer if you have an MP3 player?

Why go through splitting a power source and adding an additional fuse to say 'yay look at me I have two head units'?

Solder??? lol

I added a Premier head unit and an iPod. I only retained power to the factory unit because it has the controls for my HVAC and clock. You should be able to use the antenna cable from the factory unit and tap into the factory speaker wires through the appropriate harness (check Crutchfield).

CL7-R

My iPod is in the glovebox and I only take it out if I go for a jog on evenings after work, otherwise, it lives in the car. My aftermarket head unit controls all functions of the iPod. My car doesn't have steering wheel controls but I do have a Pioneer steering wheel remote but I hardly use that anyway.

Did you make any headway though. How's the project coming along?

CL7-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.