Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum although I must admit I have lurked in the past, but not frequently (that's what kids do to ya, no time for anything)...

I'm currently having a pretty lousy time with my 04 TSX and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I searched the forum but didn't come up with anything although I think Ivy(?) had some related problems...

So, my TSX was approaching 60K. Just (the week of) before I took it in for service, it started to vibrate at start-up and the check engine light came on. At the 60K service (private repair shop but specializes in Hondas and Acuras), they found that the alternator was dead, one of the O2 sensors (there are two apparently) was dead and the battery was dead. Fixed all that and $1500 later, my TSX sat at the traffic light, not stalled (it's an auto!) but just shudders when I step on the accelerator. Goes no where. I had it towed back to the garage and they couldn't work it out so they sent it to the Acura dealer. Now Acura dealer tells me that I need to replace the other O2 sensor as well as two bad injectors (Another $1K). Ex-squeeze me? A baking powder? (got to love Wayne's World) WTF? The car seems to be falling apart! It's an 04 Acura TSX with 60K! I take good care of the car - regular service, oil change, premium fuel, blah, blah...

Any ideas? If not, don't worry - I just feel better ranting to people who *might* be interested...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... not sure. The Honda shop replaced one and now the dealer says they need to replace the other. Thing is, I'm not savvy enough to know if it even needs replacing. The Honda shop replaced one by one and found the second one to do nothing (i.e. the new one didn't help the situation), so they put the old one back. Obviously the dealer thinks otherwise. I'm not saying that's not possible, because it depends on what else is causing the problem (and hence could not be determined earlier on), but I do wonder, especially when they replaced so many things and my car is still sitting in the hanger. So the question is why did the Honda shop replaced the first one and how did they know it was problematic - beats me... (these people at the Honda shop are nice enough but I will ask them)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
4,232 Posts
Usually if a o2 sensor fails...the engine light comes on. they need to hook it up to a OBDII scanner and pull the codes.

Ask the mechs whats the codes are and post them here.

edit: i don't think TSX has a MAS, maybe TPS? (throttle position sensor)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To bring it to a close (kind of...), Acura ended up replacing all four fuel injectors. Couldn't tell us what caused it but admitted that it was unusual.

Thought I was going to drive this one to the grave but I'm shopping...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm completely surprised. The car was just fine since new until this episode. I know Hondas are supposed to be reliable (heck, been a huge Honda fan since 88 when Senna and Prost cleaned up F1 in McLaren Honda. Honda is not doing too well now, but I am still hoping Ross Brawn will turn things around - for you F1 fans....), but the whole experience left a sour taste in the mouth (including the crappy Acura customer service). I'm certainly not saying I won't buy Honda again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did anything fixes from the Acura Dealership fall into the 6 year/ 70,000 mile power train warranty?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your first shops diagnosis doesn't sound too bad, but the rough engine when you got it back makes me think that maybe they left a vacuum line loose or put it in the wrong place. O2 sensors do go bad but usually only the one in front of the cat. If there is a second one (as we have) it is after the cat and is there just to check that the cat is OK. They don't usually fail because the exhaust is much cooler by the time it gets there. A bad injector would cause missing (rough engine) which will also bring on the CEL. Driving in this condition will mean lots of unburned fuel will reach the cat which will cause it's temperature to go very high and could therefore affect the second O2 sensor. I have no idea why an alternator would fail at 60K. That is very premature, but if it was weak, then the charge on the battery would be low and it wouldn't take very much of that to kill the batteries that they put in these cars. Actually, having failed injectors sounds fishy to me. I've never seen one fail. Usually the things that fail are the coils or the electronic switches for the coils. This will cause the same symptoms as a bad injector (a missing cylinder).

·
Registered
122 Posts
*gulp* hope UK accord 04's are better than that :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
For the most part, I'm sure they are. On this board, we tend to hear about the problems so we get a distorted view. I don't think that I ever posted "my car just completed x days with no problems". Have you? If I did, I would have to say that since I bought my car in Sept of 07, it has been back to the dealer only once (to get the first freebee oil change). It now has 15K miles on it and since I do my on maintenance, it has not been in the shop at all. Zero problems. I hope I am still that satisfied when I get to 200K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is just an added guess; my 94 Infiniti Q45 was REALLY REALLY sensitive to ethanol in gas. I ran iso-heet every tank to try and move some of the water out of the gas. It's possible, however highly improbable that the ethanol destroyed your injectors. I would think a newer car than my 94 would be more resistent to the water in the gas. I guess they could have rusted on the tips.

I replaced two of the injectors on the Q in the 4 years that I owned it. Compared to the Q, the TSX looks like a piece of cake to work on and replace all the injectors every month if you have too!

deatschwerks.com is a great place to have your injectors remanned.

I got rid of the Q and have the TSX now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts