Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 TSX Oil Consumption Issues
hey guys i have a 04 6spd i bought it in dec of 2011 so like 7 months and i have the same prob. I got it with 124k on it and now have 141k i was working in brooklyn so its 220 miles round trip. I change the oil every 3-3500 miles im kinda old school and use syn oil mobil 1. I drive it but dont beat it all the time.
I love my tsx best money i every spent but im getting frustrated because along with so many others have not found the answer to the million dollar question, Why does the k24 motor burn oil. No one i speak to whether its a acura tech of a top of the line engine builder.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we as tsx owners can do to lower the consumption.

Thanks in advance and look forward to any input
Pat
hey guys i have a 04 6spd i bought it in dec of 2011 so like 7 months and i have the same prob. I got it with 124k on it and now have 141k i was working in brooklyn so its 220 miles round trip. I change the oil every 3-3500 miles im kinda old school and use syn oil mobil 1. I drive it but dont beat it all the time.
I love my tsx best money i every spent but im getting frustrated because along with so many others have not found the answer to the million dollar question, Why does the k24 motor burn oil. No one i speak to whether its a acura tech of a top of the line engine builder.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we as tsx owners can do to lower the consumption.

Thanks in advance and this is a great post
Pat

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have an 04 and mine burns maybe a 1/4 of a quart? Knock on wood. People have changed different synthetics and had better results. I use semi synthetic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did all the checks not a single oil leak any where i have put cardboard under the car and bone dry. Its a lil frustrating that no one has a answer thanks for ur input

I have an 04 and mine burns maybe a 1/4 of a quart? Knock on wood. People have changed different synthetics and had better results. I use semi synthetic.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Piston seals are aging and shrinking. The process is not a big deal as long as you keep the oil at a normal operating level. Acura spec is one quart every 1000-1500 miles believe it or not. You could do a full teardown to replace the seals, or just carry a quart of oil in your trunk for top-offs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive read that before about what acura says and i just cant wrap my head around that. As far as the piston seal shrinking that would create blow by and the motor would smoke, i have none of that

thank u for ur input

Piston seals are aging and shrinking. The process is not a big deal as long as you keep the oil at a normal operating level. Acura spec is one quart every 1000-1500 miles believe it or not. You could do a full teardown to replace the seals, or just carry a quart of oil in your trunk for top-offs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have the same problem with my car, and i also use mobil 1 full synthetic/5w-30. and i check it every week or so, and its like 1/4 quart a week, give or take. im thinking about going for a thicker oil my next change, or try blend. i got 117k on my car, but i drive about 40 miles a day though.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Ive read that before about what acura says and i just cant wrap my head around that. As far as the piston seal shrinking that would create blow by and the motor would smoke, i have none of that

thank u for ur input
No its not blow by, blow by is when a piston ring is cracked or warped and oil literally blows by it.

You are most likely suffering from what I have which is worn, cracked, or shrinking valve seals. Something that I do in the winter is use one quart of high millage oil and add it in with my regular oil. HM (high millage) oil has chemicals in it that help to protect the rubber seals. Its worth a shot, also just try regular oil rather than syn, I found I use alot less oil that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could try using Rotella T6 5w40, sometimes that improves consumption issues on cars. I came from owning a Subaru for past 5 years and oil consumption issues are very common in Subaru community as well. Mobile 1 seems to be used in alot of these cases, which is why I won't touch the stuff. Doesn't mean Mobile 1 is the cause, but it isn't the best oil to run anyway -- there are better ones out there.

I personally did not have unusual oil consumption in my Subaru, even though it was putting out 270whp and I owned it from new to 81K miles. Oils I ran in it for most of it's life were Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 synthetic and Rotella, both good oils that I'd recommend to others and worth trying in your case IMO.

Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts