1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSX Club,

Instead of buying an ice box I am going to do this:

Do It Yourself DIY Acura TSX Short Ram Intake Cold Air Induction

But I have one question. I don't know what I need to do for this part..

"Once you remove the airbox, you will see that there is a slight bend required to attach a cone filter to the end of the stock intake tube without bending it. I picked that up and headed over to Home Depot next. I cut about 20-25� out of the middle of a PVC drain pipe bend."

Has anyone else created a SRS with this guide?

Does it throw CEL?

Kindest Regards,
df

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just tried this today with a cheap ass cone filter, and a 3" PVC pipe...Everything fit super snug.

However:

1. I don't like that the filter just hangs and has no support. Had to zip tie it making it look ghetto as hell.

2. I love, love, love the sound! BUT...this will net no gains at all, I opened the hood after an hour drive and the filter itself was almost too hot to touch.

So I returned everything back to normal, and now I have a Spectre filter just sitting there in my garage.

But man oh man do I miss the sound :(

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
I bought a piece of 3.5" I'd 0.060" wall aluminum tube x 8-10" long and a 3.5" opeining k and n filter, had it for 2 years runs great!, total cost around $45

Sent from my Rooted HTC Rezound on Verizon 4G LTE.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a piece of 3.5" I'd 0.060" wall aluminum tube x 8-10" long and a 3.5" opeining k and n filter, had it for 2 years runs great!, total cost around $45

Did you notice a power increase?

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
With the butt dyno, ide say yes. But most likely without any other mods, its just throttle response. And noise.

The leightweight steel flywheel I have seemed to quiet down some of the intake sound.

I wouldn't pay $300+ for an intake. I thought about making it longer as a Cai. But I just left it as is

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the butt dyno, ide say yes. But most likely without any other mods, its just throttle response. And noise.

The leightweight steel flywheel I have seemed to quiet down some of the intake sound.

I wouldn't pay $300+ for an intake. I thought about making it longer as a Cai. But I just left it as is

Making my own CAI with tubing would be pretty cool. Would you just buy the tube and bend it or use a silicon angled bushing or something to make it go down like other CAI's? I don't know how easy it would be to bend the pipe. Does the stock intake pipe have an adjustable opening, like it was able to clamp down on the pipe ou used?

Also, what is the tube that extends down from the stock air box?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You could also use a Airaid UBI tube in any size you want from jegs.com and couplers from siliconecouplers.com. You can make entire custom intake for under $200. Depending on how you do it even less than $150.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could also use a Airaid UBI tube in any size you want from jegs.com and couplers from siliconecouplers.com. You can make entire custom intake for under $200. Depending on how you do it even less than $150.

Thank you for your reply. I am considering making my own setup but using pipes from the site I posted and couplers from your site.

One thing I am worried about is keeping the intake from vibrating..

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It is something worth putting some thought into but after many thousands of miles I have yet to have a problem w the intake moving. But I am one that is under the good quite often. If your someone that cleans the car regularly and pays attention to it you won't have a problem. Just keep your clamps tight and your good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Your also going to need a grommet for the sensor and a large unibit to drill holes in the pipe.

·
Registered
292 Posts
These setups are the go for everyday driving performance I reckon.

A couple of points though.
We all know heat sink is an issue. It really is best to use the stock rubber inlet. It absorbs ambient and internal heat far less than a polished aluminium tube.

The setup works much better if there is a ram tube incorporated in the filter. This smooths the air flow into the inlet and is far less likely to throw the sensors out due to uneven airflow. Without one the airflow in the center of the inlet will flow fast and the air around the inlet wall will be slow. This means the sensor will not read your air mass properly.

A dry filter is much better on a SRI than a wet one. Oil can be drawn into the inlet if they are overoiled.

This type of filter has a ram tube built in, or you can buy ram tubes separately.

BLOX Universal Air Filter - Wolf Pack Performance - Performance Parts Shop

·
Registered
365 Posts
This thread has inspired me, haven't done much to the car in a few months, thought I'd try this out...

Here are a few pics of mine. This cost $27, it fits perfectly around the stock air tube and clamps on nicely, then lays nicely on the bottom half of the air box without any rattling or noises. In my case, it was previously de-snorkeled (baffles) and I had the homemade icebox already. So I am still getting some cooler air from underneath being fed right onto my new homemade SRI.

For $27 this piece is actually very well made, I was surprised. I drove around all day in the 90 degree heat, interstate and plenty of vtec, afterward I parked and popped the hood, the filter is not burning hot as others have described. I think my homemade icebox, or what's left of it, is feeding enough cool air into this thing to keep it from being too hot.

Of course with shorter piping and more filter there is a HP gain, but heat soak probably eliminates this. Still, the sound is another pleasant surprise, you only hear it when you punch it, and it's nice and boomy rather than raspy. I can't believe I didn't try this earlier, it's excellent. There may be a bit of a gain in the butt dyno but it may be placebo. At this point, the TSX is just slow anyhow without a ton of money put into it; I am happy with the sound and am gonna keep this setup.

Reactions: kewlliljethro

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read this article and had to try it. Like others, I just picked up a cheapo spectre from autozone. I have to admit, the sound is quite nice. Right when you get up to 3500 rpm and give it some gas, I was surprised by the aggressiveness (sound).

There doesn't seem to be much gains other than that. In my head, it seems like there's a quicker throttle response and other gains but in reality, I don't think there are any.

I haven't had any problems of the cone being too hot. I think I'll keep this set up until I decide to do a cai.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.