Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little fun with my car over the weekend, I’m installing a Pioneer DEXS-P99RS in the lower compartment and didn’t want to have 2 head units in the dash.
Unfortunately as most of you know the heater controls are integrated into the PCB of the factory radio So I had to keep the factory deck in the same location….But I didn’t have to keep it functional….

I started by removing the deck, taking of the disc changer and carefully removing the PCBs.

Then I cut and glued a couple layers of ABS together to make a frame for the Ipad mini, while I was at it I routed out a facia panel out of ½” MDF that I then milled down to ¼”.

Next I cut out the face of the factory deck and C.A. glued the frame in place.

After this there was a ton of kitty hair applied to strengthen and build up the face.

While I was at it I cut down the rear of the heater vents taped them up and capped them with kitty hair as well

Then a ton of body filler was applied and sanded smooth, this step was repeated about 10 times to make a perfectly smooth face, then it was all sprayed with a high build primer.

Finally a layer of SEM texture coat was applied followed by a few coats SEM color coat.

Here is everything being test fitted in the car before reassembly.

And finally the finished product.

Ill be working on installing the the aftermarket head unit this weekend and will post pics when that’s finished, thanks for looking and hope you guys like it….

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,653 Posts
Great job and it looks great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, did a little more work on the car this weekend. I decided to leave the from end of the car alone for a bit and focus on the major fabrication needed in the trunk area.
I’m running 3 Image Dynamics ID Max 10” sub woofers in an infinite baffle configuration in the rear deck.
The sheet metal of the rear deck of our cars is pretty flimsy and these subs are close to 30 lbs. each so I wanted to add some support to hold them.
I decided to build a box that would install underneath the rear deck from the trunk to hold the subs.
I wanted it to be more than just a box so I kerfed the wood to make it bend.

Kerfing is basically making evenly spaced cuts that are not all the way through the wood allowing it to flex and bend around a radius.
Once the cuts are made wood glue is applied into the groves, and the piece is bent and clamped in place while the glue dries.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that the box is made I had to make some room for the subs to fire up into the back window.
Out came the grinder and cutoff wheel!
This was terrifying!!!!!!!!

Now I had to make pieces to fill in the sides of the trunk.
I removed the trunk seal and taped off the trunk opening. Then I clamped cloth around the lip the trunk seal mounts to, stretched it and stapled it to some MDF boards I made to fit in each side.
Next I soaked the cloth with fiberglass resin and waited for it to dry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I missed a bunch of pictures as I was trying to rush through this as quickly as possible but here are some pictures of the beauty panels for the amp rack and sub box.
I pressed grills out of hexagon perforated steal so they are 3 dimensional. There will be 3 Zapco DC 750.2s and a Zapco DC 1000.1 stacked underneath the amp rack.

That’s it for now, I have to finish up the beauty panel for the rear deck, then a whole lot of upholstery work and wiring!
More to come!!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a lot of work! I'm also doing a build with Zapco and Image Dynamics components. The components I'm using are weaker though and my focus is on trying to conserve as much trunk space as possible while still having plenty of quality sound and a custom look.

I really like your work with curving the MDF and pressing the grills, they look sharp. I havn't decided if I want to put grills on mine yet or not, but if I do, I'd be interested in your technique and where you got the mesh material.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
.....and then my trunk doesn't look that great. But I did get to keep my ac vents ;)

Kerfing though. ..are you serious, I haven't seen someone do that in years! it's such tedious, time consuming work.

I guess that hole finally fixed that rattle that everyone complains about. :lol:

That is a silly amount of power for the mids and highs....I think i love it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
There hasn't been any creative audio builds in a while. The idea is great, some of the best sounding setups I have heard in a sedan were built into the deck like that.

What mids and highs are you going to torment w all that power?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There hasn't been any creative audio builds in a while. The idea is great, some of the best sounding setups I have heard in a sedan were built into the deck like that.

What mids and highs are you going to torment w all that power?

Hybrid Audio all day!!!!

L1 Pro ring radiator tweets & L3V2 3" midrange into the pillars.
L6V2 6" midbass going into custom kick panels vented externally into the fender wells.

Its going to be whole lotta bad ass if I ever get it finished. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a lot of work! I'm also doing a build with Zapco and Image Dynamics components. The components I'm using are weaker though and my focus is on trying to conserve as much trunk space as possible while still having plenty of quality sound and a custom look.

I really like your work with curving the MDF and pressing the grills, they look sharp. I havn't decided if I want to put grills on mine yet or not, but if I do, I'd be interested in your technique and where you got the mesh material.
Thanks, I actually saw your build and that's what prompted me to post my progress. I totally understand trying to conserve trunk space, if you look up my last build that was the goal for that one. But I play hockey and my gear simply wont fit in the trunk so I figured screw it fill with audio gear lol!

If you have questions on any thing drop me a message and I'm glad to help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, I actually saw your build and that's what prompted me to post my progress. I totally understand trying to conserve trunk space, if you look up my last build that was the goal for that one. But I play hockey and my gear simply wont fit in the trunk so I figured screw it fill with audio gear lol!

If you have questions on any thing drop me a message and I'm glad to help.
I appreciate it. Glad I could get you to post your progress :D

BTW, are you going to paint yours or use carpet/felt? One of the first audio builds I did many years ago, I was able to find this awesome "carpet" which was more like felt. It was almost an exact match on color and texture and it was thin enough to stretch and completely blend any seams. The last build I did on my Accord, I could only find this thick carpet that I hate. You can see all the seams and it didn't take to curves and corners very well. It's one of the reasons I decided to paint my current build.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate it. Glad I could get you to post your progress :D

BTW, are you going to paint yours or use carpet/felt? One of the first audio builds I did many years ago, I was able to find this awesome "carpet" which was more like felt. It was almost an exact match on color and texture and it was thin enough to stretch and completely blend any seams. The last build I did on my Accord, I could only find this thick carpet that I hate. You can see all the seams and it didn't take to curves and corners very well. It's one of the reasons I decided to paint my current build.
I'm doing suede and vinyl for the whole thing.
Being I took the carpet out I don't have anything I have to match.
Paint is just too much work to make look right for me. You have to sand for hours and if you miss anything it shows up like a black eye in the finished product.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well its finally starting to come together, I haven’t updated in a while and figured I’d show you guys what I’ve been up to.
A lot of this stuff isn’t overly impressive to watch come together but has been very tedious and time consuming to get done.

Anyway on to the pictures….

I wrapped the battery box in black carpet and installed it behind the rear seat, got all of the distribution blocks installed and the whole thing tech flexed and wired up.

Finished up the beauty panel for the rear deck with a pressed grill, the inside is wrapped in carpet with the outside wrapped in suede.
I also wrapped the headliner, A, B, and C pillars in a matching suede.

Next up was installing the subs, wiring them up, and sealing up the rear deck with duct seal and sound deadener.
I also threw some blue LEDs in for accent lighting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that the subs are in I got down to even more wiring. Everything is tech flexed, color coded, and secured every 6 inches, the speakers are ran through barrier strips to make the wiring cleaner and ease serviceability.

Now that the wiring is completed I could finally install the amps, and the rest of the beauty panels.

I’m currently finishing up the A-pillars and sail panels for the L3s and L1s. and should have these completed tonight.

Next is the L6s in the doors and then it’s time to tune.

As always thanks for tuning in and I hope you enjoyed it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts