Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Couldn't find a thread related to this issue, but perhaps it's just because Im not sure what exactly this problem is, so I'd appreciate your input/direction.
The car is an 05 TSX with AT and about 180K km (110K miles). The problem appeared two days ago as I was coming back from the cottage with 4 people and a full trunk. As I was driving for the past two days, here are the issues I've spotted:
  1. When stepping on gas while accelerating from a stop, or going about 20km/h, the engine revs up to about 6-7k rpm (as in neutral) and then abruptly throws it in gear resulting in a peel-out and a "thrust" forward. This problem happens almost everytime during U-turns, where I let of gas in the beginning of the turn and step on it as Im coming out of it. Happens during linear motion too.
  2. When coming to a stop, it feels like the car stays in higher gear and once a complete stop is reached, downshifts. This manifests as the car jerking forward a short distance once it stops
  3. Coming out of a turn going ~40 km/h (25 mph) I put the pedal to the floor, however instead of downshifting the car proceeded to accelerate slowly in a higher gear.

Now these problems are not always there, happen about 15 - 20% of the time. I would really appreciate some input on this, particularly whether it's a mechanical or electronic fault.
Also, I was planning to take the car to a mechanic in 10-15 days (some parts are coming). Can this issue wait that long, or am I perma-damaging transmission by driving with this problem?

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
It never happened to my TSX, but i use to drive a 93 honda civic that does the same thing.

The problem was the car had gotten into an accident and the transmission fluid was leaking so the fluid level was low, which somehow caused the transmission to delay the shifts and when coming to a stop it stays in high gear until i completely stop.

After fixing that problem, I discovered a new problem that my ECU motherboard had a burned tower electrical thing, which caused my gear to grind when shifting up and had to get the ECU replaced. Sorry if this doesnt help though but at least i tried. :)

If you checked these and still have issues, try resetting the ECU to see if it fixes the problem, dont hurt to try.

EDIT: This is in the wrong section and should be moved to the Problems and Troubleshooting thread

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LeeMaster. Mods, could you move this thread to the appropriate section?
The problem was in fact low transmission fluid. Right axle seal was leaking. When I bought my tsx about a month ago, mechanic at my friends garage told me that the right axle seal needed to be replaced. So I got the seal from the dealership and got it put in by him. Seems that he's done a poor job and didn't install it properly. Left it with a different mechanic tonight, so hopefully he can get it right. Sucks, but can't do any work on it myself, got a broken wrist.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Thanks LeeMaster. Mods, could you move this thread to the appropriate section?
The problem was in fact low transmission fluid. Right axle seal was leaking. When I bought my tsx about a month ago, mechanic at my friends garage told me that the right axle seal needed to be replaced. So I got the seal from the dealership and got it put in by him. Seems that he's done a poor job and didn't install it properly. Left it with a different mechanic tonight, so hopefully he can get it right. Sucks, but can't do any work on it myself, got a broken wrist.
yeehaaaa! :D glad i can help. let us know how the car feels after replacing the axle seal and filling up the transmission fluid.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
+1 for leemaster, well done! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts