Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 TSX with about 44k on it ! so being about 6 years old I decided to change the ATF fluid and I think whoever at the factory put on the drain plug had to be a gorilla ! The only way I could loosen that " nut " was with a 2 foot breaker bar & my sledge hammer. Once it was loose very easy, a few metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug but everything else was pretty straight forward. I did torque the drain plug to 36 ftlbs. I took the car out for a ride & I can feel the difference already, not bad for around $29, 3 qts of the Honda ATF fluid, crush washer and cursing the original technician who put it on in the first place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not to knock on your excitement, but the real capacity is not 3qt. You can only drain 3qts at a time. The other 6 or so quarts is in the torque converter. To really change the fluid, you need to do 3 drains and refills with driving at highway speeds between each one. The fluid will be red after that. Check the dipstick and the fluid should still be almost black for you.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so at what interval do I change the next (2) atf drains etc, 5 miles ? 5 minutes at highway speeds etc ? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You KBH ! so I need to purchase (6) more quarts & drive out on the highway for a few miles at 55-60, flush it out, then re-fill (3) qts, drive out again, same procedure repeated until I have done the 3+ drain & refill procedure. correct ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thank You KBH ! so I need to purchase (6) more quarts & drive out on the highway for a few miles at 55-60, flush it out, then re-fill (3) qts, drive out again, same procedure repeated until I have done the 3+ drain & refill procedure. correct ?
Ideally you do it four times. With one drain/fill cycle, you replace about 40% of the fluid. So after two drains, you've replaced 64% (40% + (.4x60%)), three drains 78% (64% + (.4 x 36%)), four drains 87% (which is good enough)

It seems wasteful b/c you are in reality throwing away some perfectly good ATF with each of the subsequent drain cycles. I've been doing one drain/fill on four consecutive oil changes but doing it all at once is probably the preferred method

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KBH

I'm due to change the oil in about 1000 miles so I'll do it then, the fluid that came out wasn't that bad & the atf dipstick color was red so vs jacking up the car again ( I'm beat ) I'll do it again at the oil change. 2-3 inches of snow here in the Boston area, 70 in Va. I bet !

·
Registered
430 Posts
KBH

I'm due to change the oil in about 1000 miles so I'll do it then, the fluid that came out wasn't that bad & the atf dipstick color was red so vs jacking up the car again ( I'm beat ) I'll do it again at the oil change. 2-3 inches of snow here in the Boston area, 70 in Va. I bet !
Once you have the drain bolt broken loose once, you should be able to do subsequent drains with the wheels on the ground. BTW only 45 here today....but no snow!

at 77k miles, im at the honda dealer right now getting the atf changed right now
Check their procedure with your service advisor; they are likely just doing one drain and fill for you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check their procedure with your service advisor; they are likely just doing one drain and fill for you
i'm not sure whether or not how many drains they did. had it done at germain honda of dublin which use to be immke northwest honda.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Look at your service receipt and see how many bottles of ATF Z1 they used (3 bottles means just one drain)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Each fill is actually 3.4 qts so that is why they used four. It's really not that hard to do yourself; actually easier than an oil change b/c you don't need to change the filter each time. I'd recommend buying ten more bottles of ATF and doing the other changes yourself. Buy an ATF filter while you are at it. The advisor may deny its existence but all AT TSX's have one

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
The advisor may deny its existence but all AT TSX's have one
When I called and said I wanted my filter changed, the guy said nope they dont have one. I had to say it to him 3 times before he went to go ask a mechanic and he comes back on the phone and was like ok we can do that. haha

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
the atf is an inline atf, its in the engine bay by the intakes..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts