Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have an 05 TSX with about 179k miles, it's just a daily driver nothing crazy. Last year, I was having a minor power steering leak, probably had to top off once every 2-3 weeks. Then out of nowhere it gets serious. Earlier this year. Ending up having to take it to a local shop, good reviews(supposedly) and they replace my rack and pinion, and flush and add new power steering fluid. Ever since then it progressively have gotten worse, making crazy noises, I now have to top off 2-3 times a week and it's getting tiresome. I rarely ever take my cars to shops to get worked on and kinda regret it now

Any ideas on where the leak is coming from or where I should check first?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Check where the leak seems the freshest. Look for wet spots along the power steering system. If it's too dirty then clean all areas and monitor where the leak starts to appear. Without sufficient pics or more detail about where in your system the leak may be it's hard to say. Definitely clean and monitor since it's the most basic approach.

Did they use power steering fluid made for Honda/Acura when they replaced your rack and pinion? If not it could damage your system/seals and cause leaks. This has been well documented.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did they use an OEM part, or something made out of chineesium?

The price range from google is $125 -$1600... the cheap stuff might only last for the one year parts warranty.

Might not need always need OEM, but anytime I'm not using OEM on any vehicle I do some research first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone I have an 05 TSX with about 179k miles, it's just a daily driver nothing crazy. Last year, I was having a minor power steering leak, probably had to top off once every 2-3 weeks. Then out of nowhere it gets serious. Earlier this year. Ending up having to take it to a local shop, good reviews(supposedly) and they replace my rack and pinion, and flush and add new power steering fluid. Ever since then it progressively have gotten worse, making crazy noises, I now have to top off 2-3 times a week and it's getting tiresome. I rarely ever take my cars to shops to get worked on and kinda regret it now

Any ideas on where the leak is coming from or where I should check first?
Replace power steering pressure hose

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah there was a recall for power steering leaks on 2004-2008 models and I believe one other one for the o-rings where the hoses go in and out of the actual pump. I didn't mention that since you did not give any details other than you had 'a minor power steering leak'. Here's one recall (Service Bulletin 10-010):

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nhtsa.gov%2Fodi%2Frcl%2F2010%2FRCRIT-10V174-1794.pdf&clen=905702&chunk=true

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like everyone said already. If you don't know if recall was done call the dealer and give vin the verify. Clean all the hoses and see where the leak is coming from. Brings back memories of last year for me..Some rodent decided to chew in all but one power steering hose. I ended up changing them all and wrapping them in Flexo rodent resistant braided sleeving. I probably have one of the fanciest power steering hoses around and the rodents don't like it :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts