Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and very happy to meet you all. I have a problem that I hope you guys can help.

My 05 tsx with 105k miles is having an idle problem. When I put the car in D or R and at stop, there's a rattling noise coming from the engine. I notice that when the car is cold, the noise does not appear. It just appears after driving for a little bit. I also notice that when the car is cold, the idle rpm is around 800 while when it's hot it's only 550-600. The noise gets more noticeable when I turn on the Ac.

I took the car to the mechanic and he said the noise is coming from the oil pan. I took it to acura dealer and they said it's the timing chain. However, I highly doubt it since the noise disappear whenever I give it just a little gas. The car drives and feel awesome otherwise, the noise just drives me crazy.

So far I have tried cleaning the TB, changed all sparkplug, changed the belt tensioner and the noise is still there.

I wonder if there's anything I can do to raise the idle rpm to around 750 so that the noise could go away.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Can you take a video of the rattling noise you are describing? It could be loose heat shield somewhere that's rattling around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will do it tonight when it's nice and quiet outside. It's not the heatshield, that's the first thing I removed ...

Can you take a video of the rattling noise you are describing? It could be loose heat shield somewhere that's rattling around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
More than likely your balance shafts and or the chain rattling. There was a TSB related to this noise but it more or less says the noise is normal.

If the chain has stretched, you will have to remove the main chain to get the balance shaft/oil pump chain off which is probably why they quoted you on a chain.

If it's the pump/shafts, I believe that assembly can be replaced after removing just the oil pan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's the chain, wouldn't the noise get louder when I accelerate and not go away? I really hope it's not the chain. They quoted me 2 grands to replace ...

More than likely your balance shafts and or the chain rattling. There was a TSB related to this noise but it more or less says the noise is normal.

If the chain has stretched, you will have to remove the main chain to get the balance shaft/oil pump chain off which is probably why they quoted you on a chain.

If it's the pump/shafts, I believe that assembly can be replaced after removing just the oil pan.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If it's the chain, wouldn't the noise get louder when I accelerate and not go away? I really hope it's not the chain. They quoted me 2 grands to replace ...

"Engine Buzzes or Rattles in Park or Neutral

Got a '04-05 TSX with an engine that buzzes or rattles when you rev it with the shift lever in Park or Neutral? You might just be hearing the normal harmonic resonance from the oil pump and the balancer shaft assembly.

This harmonic resonance is most noticeable between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm and it's just a normal characteristic of the vehicle. It's not something you can fix by replacing engine parts."

This is the TSB (doesn't sound too formal, does it.) and it doesn't really say much besides ignore it. I hate when companies do this sort of thing... We'll see what your vid sounds like.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=-CsSPs_ioDM

Here's the link to the video. Sorry for the 240p quality... I recorded it 720p but idk why youtube reduced it. I included two videos: one when the car is at park/ neutral - sounds pretty normal and one when it's at D or R: rattles and engine vibrates.

Thanks guys!!!
Yikes, it sounds like a diesel when in gear... :surprised

Is there any abnormal sound when you rev it in park or neutral? Maybe get a stethoscope or long screwdriver to try pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. The noise doesn't sound like typical valve train or bottom end. Maybe transmission related?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have a degree in automotive and am ASE certified. I have gone through everything and gave up. I brought it to the dealer and they think it is either a balancer assembly with the timing chain or a torque converter lock up switch. They are leaning more towards the balancer. I can't find anything on this or how to adjust it, has anyone had this issue? Corrected it? Know where to find more info? Thanks.

·
-
1,623 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=-CsSPs_ioDM

Here's the link to the video. Sorry for the 240p quality... I recorded it 720p but idk why youtube reduced it. I included two videos: one when the car is at park/ neutral - sounds pretty normal and one when it's at D or R: rattles and engine vibrates.

Thanks guys!!!

That sounds terrible.

I would remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise changes. This will eliminate all the belt driven devices and the tensioner pulley assembly.

Then I would connect an accurate oil pressure gauge. It's not easy to do but it would be good to see if the oil pressure is too low at hot idle.

·
-
1,623 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have a degree in automotive and am ASE certified. I have gone through everything and gave up. I brought it to the dealer and they think it is either a balancer assembly with the timing chain or a torque converter lock up switch. They are leaning more towards the balancer. I can't find anything on this or how to adjust it, has anyone had this issue? Corrected it? Know where to find more info? Thanks.

LOL, you are ASE certified?? And you gave up on the issue and you brought your car to the dealer??!!

This made me laugh.. Don't quit your day job! :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really, I have multiple jobs. Two kids and married so sorry if I don't have the time. Both dealers said they have never seen this issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts