Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :) Sorry for having to post this as my first post.

I just got an 06 Acura TSX 6MT with 160,000 km about a month ago and enjoyed it like no other car I owned before until this noise started.

I can't figure out what exactly it could be.

Video:

Copied from my video description:

My 2006 Acura TSX is making this whining or grinding noise on cold start and i mean after it's been parked in the cold for at least 2-3 hours. It's making that noise on and off only for about 3 minutes. When the RPMs fall under or around 1000 when the engine is warm the noise stops.

It seams to be coming from the left side of the engine (power steering pump and water pump area) If i turn my steering wheel it makes no difference in sound. Only a difference in idle RPMs about 200 extra.

Please, any ideas of what could it be?

When the car get warm the noise go's away and the car drives fine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
First check if your belt auto tensioner is still in spec (there is an arrow stamped on it that should be pointing in between two bars). If that's okay, then take the serpentine belt off and hand spin the various pulleys. They should all spin very smoothly with virtually no sound. If they spin a bit roughly, the part may need to be replaced. I recently replaced my water pump, serpentine belt, and auto tensioner at 168 k miles (belt for the second time).

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
You can pick up a used pump for $20. A lot of people that swap these motors usually throw them away. I personally haven't heard of any k20 or k24 ps pumps going bad. I have run into 2 cars that needed the tensioner replaced from making noise. Although the video is helpful is doesn't pinpoint the cause. The microphone picks up other noises that overcome the root cause. I would pay attention to the pump, alternator, and tensioner. Go back and forth until you eliminate each one from the list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to bump such an old thread but did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same issue and it just recently started after a fresh oil change and in the cold weather.

Day of oil change, perfect no noise. Next morning it sounded like a pulley was grinding, went to the doctor and then get my kid from school and the noise was gone. Two days later the noise is back, checked oil levels and they are perfect. Oil cap is tight, no other issues.

On another note my wifes Accord is making the same noise. I thought it was the tensioner/belt which was out of spec; replaced them and still same noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.