Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced their tsx running 2/3 hot? It was 70 this morning and the car was running 2/3 of the way to the hot mark several times. Coolant levels are good, fans working. Not sure the age of the coolant, thermostat ever being replaced, car has 90 k. Any thoughts?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
mine never goes above the middle. usually hangs around the bottom 1/3.

only thing i can think of is maybe bad sensor(s) or something bad with the cooling system.

good luck on your search for a fix

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
As tekneek said this is not normal, and could be a bad sensor.

But I would make sure you are actually flowing coolant. When the car is COMPLETELY COLD, pop the radiator cap off, start the car and wait for the Tstat to open. You should see the coolant flowing very quickly, if you do not its possible your pump is bad or you have a blockage somewhere. Its also possible you have an air pocket stuck in the head, this happens all the time if there is a small leak somewhere or if you just had the coolant flushed.

I personally would bring it to a shop that has a vacuum coolant machine and have them run it on your car, after that and confirming you're getting a nice flow of coolant I would start trouble shooting the sensor.

Note: Becareful driving this car, you do not want to overheat it and pop a head gasket!

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I've seen thermostats both open and closed. If the water pump is ok, I would look into the thermostat

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am hoping it is something simple. I plan to change rad cap, thermostat, and the coolant. I would like to not change the water pump. The thermostat looks a little challenging.
Good point also.. Have the cap pressure tested before you do the T stat. If it does not hold the pressure it's rated for, the cooling system won't work properly.

Found this on a Mini, cap rated for 16 psi and it vented at 6. Replaced and no more overheating

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fan switch had gone out. The fan would run with the a/c on, but not by itself. The lower hose was warming up so I knew the thermostat was functioning. I went ahead and did the 90k service. She got plugs, coolant flush, trans fluid flush twice, thermo fan switch, oem filter and oil change.

Summary the fan switch went out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.