Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I am at a pivot point where I need to decide after 5 years of owning my car and being somewhat bored of it, whether I should upgrade to an 11/12 TSX and get a good trade in for my 07 TSX that only has $55k miles on it with NAVI or just ride it out till it hits 100k miles and then decide there. I started driving more for work so I think I will hit 100k miles probably in the next 4 years instead of what it has taken me to wrack up 55k. It is paid off which is nice but wondering if the additional 14k needed to pony up is really worth just a newer version of what I already drive. Any thoughts out there would be appreciative. Just trying to get a feel for what you would do.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm in the same situation - 07 with 46,000km - and I want to go back to driving a manual so I've been considering it. At the moment I'm holding out to see what the TLX will be like, that'll probably decide it for me. If the TLX is similar in size to the TSX but with more luxury and a bit more power then I'd probably go for it otherwise I'll get the 2013 TSX.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Since it is paid off, it would be a better financial decision to stay with the car. Otherwise, you should have just leased the car so that you can trade vehicles later on. There are only a few reasons that you should consider replacing your perfectly good car:

- You can't afford the car and need to downgrade.
- You got a promotion or raise and want to celebrate it.
- Your current car doesn't suit your purposes anymore.
- You're bored and have lots of money to burn (or don't mind burning someone else's money while you increase your debt).
- You resent your car and it bothers you everytime you're behind the wheel (ie: you bought an automatic and wanted a manual).

I drive both a 1st gen and 2nd gen every week. I would only trade my 1st gen into a 2nd gen if I wanted a sportswagon. Otherwise, the 2nd gen feels bulkier and isn't as fun to drive. If I wanted a fun car, I would look at other brands (especially RWD). Acura's designers are on vacation or something.

If you really want a 2nd gen, why don't you just lease one? Apparently lease rates are good now, and later you can give your 2nd gen back and still have your 1st gen available.

Just remember, you will get bored of your next car eventually. It's better to have a paid off car that you're bored with than to have a car that you're bored of and still have to pay for. The 2nd gen isn't any more fun than the 1st gen (if anything, I find it more boring).

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Toronto
782 Posts
I'm in the same situation - 07 with 46,000km - and I want to go back to driving a manual so I've been considering it. At the moment I'm holding out to see what the TLX will be like, that'll probably decide it for me. If the TLX is similar in size to the TSX but with more luxury and a bit more power then I'd probably go for it otherwise I'll get the 2013 TSX.
TLX? lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ride it out, man. Like somebody else said, that's too much money to fork over to essentially get the same car. But if you just have to have an upgrade, maybe get a used 2010 or 2011. You lose too much value on depreciation when buying a brand new car.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Ride it out, man. Like somebody else said, that's too much money to fork over to essentially get the same car. But if you just have to have an upgrade, maybe get a used 2010 or 2011. You lose too much value on depreciation when buying a brand new car.
+1

This. The 1G TSX is a great car, I'd definitely ride it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts