Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperatures have been very cold lately, around 0 degrees and I can't get my car to warm up at idle. It actually slowly cools down too if I stop and let it sit. It warms up fine once I'm driving though.

I'm not from the north and I've never experiences cold weather like this so I don't know if this is normal or a potential thermostat issue. I have ~105k miles on it and everything else works great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had this same exact problem. No heat when idle. This is what I did and haven't had a probably for 3 weeks. My car warmed up in 2-3 minutes idle today in 15 degree weather

- Check coolant level if you haven't already
- I had to remove and clean my reserve tank since I thought I had a leak but didn't
- Fill fresh coolant in reserve tank
- Make sure the reserve tank cap is closed correctly and tightly.

If you still have the problem then test to see if air is in the system then you can do flush and refill.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is normal for it to take a while to warm up in extremely cold conditions like you are describing. Let it idle for about 10-20 minutes then feel the upper and lower hoses, both should be warm. But you have to keep in mind that it takes more for the car to warm up when it is extremely cold like that, it doesn't sound like an issue to me, I just think you're use to warmer conditions, seeing that your location says Phoenix :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had this same exact problem. No heat when idle. This is what I did and haven't had a probably for 3 weeks. My car warmed up in 2-3 minutes idle today in 15 degree weather

- Check coolant level if you haven't already
- I had to remove and clean my reserve tank since I thought I had a leak but didn't
- Fill fresh coolant in reserve tank
- Make sure the reserve tank cap is closed correctly and tightly.

If you still have the problem then test to see if air is in the system then you can do flush and refill.
So fill the reserve tank up to the max mark you are saying? I will check this tomorrow. Also I know I intentionally don't keep the plastic cap too tight so it's easier to open, I will make sure its tight now.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,651 Posts
Check your radiator first to make sure it's full. If your really low on coolant your car will not heat up proper and if it's really low you could have a leak. And yes just check your resivor tank and make sure it has some I there to. As long as it's between max and minimum your good to go.

Just my opinion like the other guys and yes if it's super cold it will tak longer to warm up but not 20 min long. That seems pretty exesive, even when it got down in the single digits here my car did not take that long.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check your radiator first to make sure it's full. If your really low on coolant your car will not heat up proper and if it's really low you could have a leak. And yes just check your resivor tank and make sure it has some I there to. As long as it's between max and minimum your good to go.

Just my opinion like the other guys and yes if it's super cold it will tak longer to warm up but not 20 min long. That seems pretty exesive, even when it got down in the single digits here my car did not take that long.
^^^^ Fill it up to midway. You should feel some warm air blowing at 5-10minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts