Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Vendor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As measured on our cam profiling equipment:

The 09 TSX intake high speed lobe has less lift and duration than the 06-08 TSX (but only a little) It is better than the 04-05 TSX camshaft though.
The 09 TSX intake low speed lobe has more lift but less duration than the 06-08 TSX intake camshaft.

Our opinion is that the 06-08 TSX intake camshaft is the best choice for top end power.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Thank you greatly for the important information!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the info! ^^
I buy a 06-08 Intake cam and i hope this holidays change my 06-08 k24a3 intake cam for 06-08 TSX and felt the results :)

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
good info, thanks hondata. hopefully this will answer a lot of questions in the thread about feuss' switch to the 09 intake cam.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
:tu:

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
The percent higher lift (1.82%) is almost exactly proportional to the HP difference between the 08 and 09 TSX. Ratings are 201 and 205.

The 09's low cam has almost 8% more lift than the 08's.

If the peak HP number is most important, for the the 08 cam.

For daily driving, the 09 is probably better.

Overall, I expect the use of the 09 cam will make a bigger increase in the area under the torque curve. The low cam's contribution is higher because it has a bigger percent difference, and is used for most of the rev range (55% of the range from 750-7600 with a 4500rpm VTEC switch, and 62% with in the same rpm range with a 5000rpm VTEC switch).

The ~5* later lift (as per Hytech) was expected to help emissions and low-rpm tq. Perhaps it's even safe to run this with a 50* gear an no pin?

I dropped the 09 into my 04 tsx, and am very happy with the results!

·
Registered
786 Posts
do you actually feel a difference? 8% IMO cannot be felt.

Not judging/bad mouthing, because I need to change my cams soon too. I am
skeptical of the actual gains felt. I have a stage three buddy club coming in
and if these are more aggressive then I can save money....

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
It's just 8% peak lift, there are many other factors that would affect the total result.

·
Registered
862 Posts
As i concluded b4 , newer chassis is heavier then previous so it needs low end torque to push excessive fat forward ) Anyone tested 09 cam material ? I heard its tooo soft compared to older cams.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
As i concluded b4 , newer chassis is heavier then previous so it needs low end torque to push excessive fat forward ) Anyone tested 09 cam material ? I heard its tooo soft compared to older cams.
Reference?

·
-
1,623 Posts
Excellent info posted by Hondata.

This is the detailed kind of technical information that one needs before buying a camshaft. Not word of mouth, not guessing, not JDM bling factor...

Based on this information the 09+ TSX intake cam is nearly identical to the 06-08 TSX cam. Swapping to an 09+ cam will not make any difference.

Even a dyno comparison is not going to be able to show any difference between the 2 cams.
As for butt dyno's or "feel factor", good luck with those! :)

As usual there is no magic in making more power. It's research & logical decisions.

·
Registered
714 Posts
So what is the 09's VTC . 50*?

What are differences between the two's valve to piston clearance?

If it's the same then surely the cam profile of the 09 with its 50* VTC would-be better rather than using 06-08 cam and having to pin it at 45* .

That is if you can use all of the 09's 50* degrees of movement in the 1st gen tsx?

Make sense?

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
Glad to finally see the two cams graphs! The lower duration and higher lift are known for higher TQ numbers. I feel that for a 2.4L our low end is a bit slugish. I never understood why honda gave us so much duration in the low cam. I drove an 09 TSX and compared to my 04, the TQ and thottle response was much better.

The high cams being that little off in duration will not make a noticable difference if you ask me. Everyone is missing the fact that the 09 cam opens 5° later. Looking at the profile, the cam shows an overall steeper vavle opening speed, with the ramp down valve speed being slower. All performance cams take advantage of this design. Air velocity is built up with the higher ramp angle, than the valve is kept open as long as possible.

If anyone is willing to send me some cams I am more than willing to dyno them :).

Yes the 09 has a 50° VTC. Their pistons has deeper valve relleifs.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
Hondata said that they would add the info on the 04/05 cam weeks ago, and still nothing...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Glad to finally see the two cams graphs! The lower duration and higher lift are known for higher TQ numbers. I feel that for a 2.4L our low end is a bit slugish. I never understood why honda gave us so much duration in the low cam. I drove an 09 TSX and compared to my 04, the TQ and thottle response was much better.

The high cams being that little off in duration will not make a noticable difference if you ask me. Everyone is missing the fact that the 09 cam opens 5° later. Looking at the profile, the cam shows an overall steeper vavle opening speed, with the ramp down valve speed being slower. All performance cams take advantage of this design. Air velocity is built up with the higher ramp angle, than the valve is kept open as long as possible.

If anyone is willing to send me some cams I am more than willing to dyno them :).

Yes the 09 has a 50° VTC. Their pistons has deeper valve relleifs.

ahh yea thought it was 50*

ahhh deeper valve reliefs on the cu2 explains why the 50* is able to be used.

now i see :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts