Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil today with whats on the oil cap 5w20 and when i went to autozone to recycle the used oil one of the sales guy was telling me that 5w20 was way too thin for my car and especially with 102K miles on it. PLEASE HELP! i dont know what to do now. I live in Florida so the temps are a bit high and i used Mobile 1 "advanced full synthetic 5w20"
-What kind of oil should i use???

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
First thing I would do is see if you burn oil if any and if your oil smells burnt or looks extremely black when you change it.

If you aren't burning any and your oil color is fine then keep on using the same oil.
Living in FL, I use 10w30 on my car due to the hotter climate. I know honda recommends 5w20 on newer models, but that's mainly for better fuel mileage. I would never use too thin of an oil in a hot climate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"High mileage" oils aren't really thicker, they just have different additives and detergents. Nothing wrong with running them in a new engine if it's good oil. I personally ran Valvoline MaxLife in older and newer engines with great results, it is very good oil and comes in synthetic blend or full synthetic. If you wanted to get away from using 5w20, I'd try the MaxLife 5w30 stuff.

Personally, I would stay as far away from Mobile 1 as possible, but that's a personal preference. Also, I don't see any point in using 10w30 when great selection of 5w30s is readily available -- it's isn't early '90s anymore, oils have changed alot.

Stan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First thing I would do is see if you burn oil if any and if your oil smells burnt or looks extremely black when you change it.

If you aren't burning any and your oil color is fine then keep on using the same oil.
Living in FL, I use 10w30 on my car due to the hotter climate. I know honda recommends 5w20 on newer models, but that's mainly for better fuel mileage. I would never use too thin of an oil in a hot climate.
Its only been 3 days since i changed it but so far the car feels the same. but i do like your advice on keeping an eye on the oil and its quality, next time i think ill use 5w30 to make it a bit thicker. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"High mileage" oils aren't really thicker, they just have different additives and detergents. Nothing wrong with running them in a new engine if it's good oil. I personally ran Valvoline MaxLife in older and newer engines with great results, it is very good oil and comes in synthetic blend or full synthetic. If you wanted to get away from using 5w20, I'd try the MaxLife 5w30 stuff.

Personally, I would stay as far away from Mobile 1 as possible, but that's a personal preference. Also, I don't see any point in using 10w30 when great selection of 5w30s is readily available -- it's isn't early '90s anymore, oils have changed alot.

Stan
very helpful post, now reading about oil and trying to find answers before posting for help, i see alot of people are against Mobile 1. Im going to have to do more reasearch on this, but again thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.