Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been talked about.....but, I have always wanted to lower my car, and I am doing it soon.....

I was thinking of a 2" drop, so there will be no gap between the tires and the fender, but I heard my friends say that it might be too low, and when I go over speed bumps, i might have a hard time and scratch my car. And he suggested the 1.5" drop. I know lots people have done the 1.5" drop, but, I don't see alot of 2" drop.....well.... I've seen some, but they never commented about their ride......so, I just want some opinions, thanks!!

Pics are always good too..... :D

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
it depends on 3 things

1 How you drive
2 where you drive(what tp of roads you must drive throught to go to work or home)
3 how much convienece are you willing to sacarfice?

for me i have no choice of lowering if i want to make it home. i might even have to raise my suspension.. until I get a praxis racing suspension.. :jump:

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Well it also depends on what you want man? How low, etc just like Cyde said. In my opinion I love the Eibach Pro Kit springs. They drop the car about 1.3-1.5" and look great with the stock 17's. I have pics of my TSX with the Eibachs in the TSX appearance/cosmetic section! These springs will lower the car but you dont sacrifice the harshness of the ride b/c the car still rides smooth. If you go 2" -3" then you are going to have to worry with your alignment, getting a camber kit and dealing with the wear and tear of the tires you are running on the car!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Benz_05TSX said:
I don't know if this has been talked about.....but, I have always wanted to lower my car, and I am doing it soon.....

I was thinking of a 2" drop, so there will be no gap between the tires and the fender, but I heard my friends say that it might be too low, and when I go over speed bumps, i might have a hard time and scratch my car. And he suggested the 1.5" drop. I know lots people have done the 1.5" drop, but, I don't see alot of 2" drop.....well.... I've seen some, but they never commented about their ride......so, I just want some opinions, thanks!!

Pics are always good too..... :D
Sounds like you need coilovers. Try the H&Rs. They're reasonably priced, most likely not as overly stiff as the Teins and are height adjustable so you can adjust the height to your heart's content.

I had coilovers on my G20. It was really nice to be able to drop it for that slammed look, then raise it back to a 1" drop when I got tired of having to be careful going up driveways, etc.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
How is the H&R sport springs? I been wanting to get that.

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
coltsicehockey said:
what is the praxis racing suspension
www.praxissuspension.com

on the fly height, dampining, camber etc.. adjustment

eg. BMW
touring mode on a BMW 3series would be stock 3 series suspension feel and responce

sport mode on a bmw 3series would be M3 setting

then track mode, camber will be more agresive, and car even lower, equal to that of GT spec

plus computer constantly adjusting for brake neel and acceleration larch, and even body roll

·
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Cyde and others.....

Well, I was always looking for a 2" drop every since I got the car, but now, when I go to school, I have to go over those speed bumps, even like those in Lansdowne right. I heard if it's too low, you have to go over the bumps one side at a time, and I don't know if a 2" drop is too low for speed bumps. 1.5" drop is common, and I see it all the time. And besides, once I drop my car, I should be getting some new rims too....hahhaa...

And Coilovers, man......they are too expensive, I am just a kid, and I just want to fool around with the TSX, so for now, I am going with the cheapest option, SPRINGS!!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Eibach Prokit with OEM shocks. They'd last you a good while before you need an upgrade. A conservative 1¼ ~ 1½ inch drop all round. An acceptable budget option.

·
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I think I heard from someone that this kit ain't that comfortable to ride on.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Many people who run Eibach on OEM shocks complain about the bouncey ride quality because the OEM shocks do not have enough rebound damping to control the stiffer spring. Over a short time, this problem is worsened as the stiffer Eibach spring wears out the shock faster contributing to a higher likelihood of bottoming out and more bounciness. This has led many of them to buy aftermarket shocks that can handle the stiffer Eibach springs (typically Konis at a cost of over $600 for a set). So, you're back to spending a bunch of dough.

The bottom line is, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." You will not be able to lower your car 2" AND have good ride quality, AND do it for the cost of springs alone.

In order to properly lower a car 2" and have a comfortable ride, you will need a double adjustable coil over system with softer than typical spring rates which allows you to lower your car AND maintain close to the stock amt of suspension travel. A compromise would be lowering springs plus stiffer shocks such as the Konis. This would not ride anywhere close to stock, but at least won't have a floaty, bouncey, super harsh bottoming out ride quality that running a set of agressive 2" lowering springs on OEM shocks would have.

Trust me. I went through the same thing with my last car. I lowered my car 2" with springs only. It rode like SHIT. I ended up buying several different suspension set ups trying various shocks and springs. I bought a brand new set of OEM shocks after I wore out my stock ones. THe new OEM ones wore out super fast too. I ended up getting a set of GAB shocks which, when combined with the 2" lowering springs made the ride nearly unbearable. I ultimately ended up with a coilover system which provided acceptable ride quality, easily adjustable ride height, and good all around handling. I spent somewhere around $2,500 in suspension components before I ended up with my final set up. I could have just went straight to the coil overs from the beginning for only about $1,000.

·
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man, I also heard some bad comments about the Eibach springs with the OEM shocks. But the problem is, I don't want to spend too much right now, I am 17, hahahaa.... I just want to fool around with the car first. I saw many other brands that just make springs too....But I don't know the ride quailty on those. I know it will be the ride feel like shit....but once you lower your car, it bound to happen. So...I don't really mind, all I don't want is some decent springs that can lower 1.5 or 2" that the OEM shocks can handle

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
All aftermarket progressive springs run higher spring rates and is not exactly what the OEM shocks are designed for. There is no "decent" or "compatible" springs that lowers the car whilst retaining similar ride handling and still not put premature wear and tear on the OEM shocks.

AlterZgo's comments about matching Eibach springs with Koni shocks is a very good and economical option and will be the only one that comes close to OEM handling while still dropping some ride height comfortably.

There's no 2 ways of doing it if you want to take this path, you either spend less now and spend more later or spend more now, set and forget. I'd recommend your best bet is to use the OEM gear.

·
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean using the OEM gear? As in getting the Sport suspension from the dealers?? Or the A-spec suspension?

Because I saw a lot of springs from many brands, like Tein, Goldline, Eibach, Sk??? and some other brands......but I don't know which one is good out of all those... Because springs are only around a few hundreds....while the whole suspension can cost up to $1200.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
In your situation, you should probably get the springs only. You're 17 and short on cash so you should be able to deal with the decreased ride quality and unoptimized handling. I'd go with Comptech (the newer ones which provide a greater drop as the old Comptechs only dropped the car about 1") or Eibach. I've never tired H&R, but the Tire Rack guy on another forum indicates the H&R springs are a bit stiffer than Eibachs. Since you're staying with the stock shocks, you don't want a spring that is overly stiff as they will wear out the shocks even faster.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Benz_05TSX said:
What do you mean using the OEM gear
Don't change anything, leave it stock/factory. If you don't wish to compromise ride comfort for improved handling while putting premature wear on the factory suspension components. I wouldn't venture attempting something like this to begin with. It's creating headache on what is already a well tuned/built car.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
With the mugen kit, a 1.5" drop will be good? On 18's or 19's?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Drunkenbuda said:
With the mugen kit, a 1.5" drop will be good? On 18's or 19's?
Are you asking if the Mugen suspension with a 1.5" drop will look good with 18 or 19" rims? IMO, with Mugen's mild drop, I would stick with 18" rims. I would go with either 215-45-18 or 235-40-18 tires to maximize the sidewall thickness and keep the car from looking raised.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts