Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 10,000 miles on my car. Is it worth it to get the 10,000 mile service? I hear it's just a $1xx oil change... Any thoughts?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I did my 10k mile oil change myself cuz the Honda/Acura dealers in Chicago are known the rip you off. Especially from what my friends told me and from my own experience.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Here's what Acura recommends for the 10,000 mi/16,000 km Scheduled Maintenance for NORMAL driving conditions:
Replace engine oil.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 276 of your owner's manual).
Check engine oil and coolant at each fuel stop.
Check and adjust valve clearance, cold engine, only if noisy.

Here's what Acura recommends for the 10,000 mi/16,000 km Scheduled Maintenance for SEVERE driving conditions:
Replace engine oil.
Replace engine oil filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Lubricate all hinges, locks and latches.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 276 of your owner's manual).
Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect drive shaft boots.
Check engine oil and coolant at each fuel stop.
Check and adjust valve clearance, cold engine, only if noisy.

(Note that the above information is from the Owner Link feature within www.acura.com website.)

I personally wouldn't hesistate to take it to my dealership for the 10,000 service but after hearing of your past service experiences (the horror :eek: ) you may want to check out some reputable local mechanics who can perform the same maintenance services.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like most of that is covered under a regular oil change...

Yeah...with my last visit, they allready "inspected" my front/rear brakes and suspension components... Maybe they'll give me 1/2 off for allready doing that :rolleyes:

Then again, they probably just took my tire off and "visually" inspected everything...dirty bastards..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I wouldn't think of NOT doing it.

Besides.....didn't most TSX purchases include some free routine service? (Mine did.)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Mines came with free routine maintanence vouchers for service at Superior Acura in Kansas City, but here in Chicago it won't work....and I hate the dealers here!

TRU, I can do the oil change for you. You buy the oil and setup an appointment to come to my house in Aurora.:)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2004_Acura_TSX said:
Mines came with free routine maintanence vouchers for service at Superior Acura in Kansas City, but here in Chicago it won't work....and I hate the dealers here!

TRU, I can do the oil change for you. You buy the oil and setup an appointment to come to my house in Aurora.:)
Sounds like a TSX meet!! (I'll probably wait a couple more months since I had an oil change at 8500 miles) :)

Man..I feel like I got hosed when I got my TSX...

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
I wouldn't think of NOT doing it.

Besides.....didn't most TSX purchases include some free routine service? (Mine did.)
No.

Mine came with "free" mudflaps, wheel locks, trunk mat and window etching. Which I'd rather have since "my" dealer is 1 1/4 hours away but my garage and driveway are about 90 seconds away from my keyboard.

Since I'm getting too old to crawl around my driveway in the snow, for $20 my ASE-certified independant mechanic will change the oil and rotate the tires and he's 10 minutes away.

The Honda-Acura oil filter is about $6 and the 5W30 Mobil-1 is about $25. I realize that the Acura is a little more complicated than most cars since there are TW0 bolts to un-do, but come on, this is just an oil change!

·
Registered
549 Posts
i did the service... i havnt missed a service... even the 15,000 mile service..( i think that was the biggest one so far...dont remmeber off the top of my head) but that was less than a $100....

but im not complaining becuase our lexus rx300... for a regular oil change from the dealer its $91.50.... every 3000 miles... what a load of crap!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
It all comes down to this...

- If you are capable and want to, do the service yourself or have any qualified mechanic do it for you.

- If you expect the dealer to help you out "down the road" with recalls, warranty issues or other minor problems, use them.

Most dealers will provide free minor repairs and/or other remedies to "preferred customers," i.e. people whose cars they service and make money from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts