Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Dach TSX
27 Posts
How easy was the install? My navi dvd drive just went out and I've been looking for weeks for a cheap one on Ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How easy was the install? My navi dvd drive just went out and I've been looking for weeks for a cheap one on Ebay.
its pretty easy to install, make sure to use the plastic trim tools or you will scratch things. this youtube video can guide you for removal

price wise I bought my unit for around $500 and I know it should be cheaper. Because the same unit with trim to fit an accord is around $225,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-Android-Car-Radios-GPS-Navigation-Navi-Stereo-WiFi-Honda-Accord-2003-2007/273136937241?fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item3f983ae919:g:i-wAAOSwT2Naw0rb&vxp=mtr
And for around $630 they have a Tesla tablet version, so if you wait id imagine it would be cheaper who knows when.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-1-Android-6-0-Stereo-Car-Radios-GPS-Navigation-for-Honda-Accord-7-2003-2007/222719169596?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221125817%26meid%3Dece89ef88afb4ec8b281244675f5b27a%26pid%3D100754%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D222719169596&_trksid=p2045573.c100754.m4842

·
Registered
19 Posts
Theres a video on youtube on how to remove stereo, its pretty easy, make sure to use a plastic tool so you don't scratch things. On ebay it costs around 500$ which is too high i think considering the same stereo for accord made to fit dash cost 225$ish and a tesla tablet looking one cost 620$ish

·
Registered
831 Posts
its been a while but let me chime in , I went in on the FB Group Buy for the android 10.2" screen unit and paid ( i think ) $460 or $465 , I was in the 2nd batch , Install was a breeze but thats about the only thing thats good about this unit. Like john666 mentions HVAC touch controls are lagging and are displayed in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit which makes it a little less forgiving in temperature as you so you are adjusting the temp by almost 2 degrees F with every click, say you start of on 56F then its 58f, 60f ,62f ( even though its only showing you 1 in c adjustment ) its kind of annoying and i think inaccurate because the temps seem to be all over the place really. not only that but when you are going up or down on temp adjustment it skips temps for example if i start of at 21c then go up to 22 then 23 then it will lag when i press up it will show 23 even though its 24 then it will skip 25 again and then it will show 26 so it dosnt display temps between 24-25c. thats one issue , second issue is the unit is generally slow and not very accurate when youre trying to control it while in the driver seat driving. Another issue i was having was with a GPS app called WAZE , gps would work fine for about 25-30 minutes then would freeze up , now you have too reboot the whole thing while youre driving and go through the process of typing in the address again to get the GPS back on track , not a fun thing to do. Ive had the unit kick me out of apps and freeze several times especially while using Pandora and YouTube. Sometimes it just kicks me out of them to home screen , other times it reboots completely ( android boot screen ) One of my biggest dislikes is the hot spot connectivity. I connect the unit to my iphone 7 plus with the personal hot spot option so i can have internet radio , it works fine , as soon as i turn the car off and get out of the car to say pump fuel or run into a gas station or what not the connection is gone and i have to go through the pairing process all over again. Also the radio bezel feels out of place due to the fact the matching woodgrain/steel trim part is black, if it were fully functional unit and didnt have so many issues i wouldnt mind the trim color but with all the issues that this unit has and the price you have to pay for a non functional android headache you are better of saving that money and doing a double din NOT A CUBBY HOLE hole install with a quality brand name touch screen headunit.

~De5

·
Dach TSX
27 Posts
I just tried to install this into my 2005 Navi and I ran into a few issues that I need help with.
- The bottom portion of the unit sticks out a lot, it isn't flush with the cubbies.
- I lost power to my courtesy lights; cubby and ceiling.
- I have no sound. Mine came with a plug that connects to red and yellow AV, but nothing to plug into those.
- The display above the hazard light switch no longer works.

Anyone have solutions to any of these?

I also don't know what to do with the NAVI unit in the trunk now.

·
Dach TSX
27 Posts
Figured out my issues. Cubby is just like that by poor design. I was dumb about the courtesy lights, forgot they only come on when the low beams are on. Display above the hazard light is just permanently gone.

Figured out the issue to the sound.The video by Ken on Youtube definitely worked, but now my issue is that when I accelerate, my stereo makes a whining noise with my acceleration which sounds like bad wiring issues. Anyone know the fix? Seems like it's just bad wiring at that point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
engine whine probably bad ground.
I have it also, could always add a better ground or a noise filter and pray but personally I dont want to remove it in fear of breaking something or wanting to put my old pioneer double din/metra kit back just so things are more consistent in function.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks interesting, but where do the HVAC controls go? Are they a menu on the touchscreen now?

To have the map functionality work would require a WiFi signal hotspotted from one's cellphone, right? And then music plays off of the Bluetooth connection to the phone? But the map software is actually Google Maps from the Android base install on the unit itself.

I get that the clock on the console would get short-circuited, but why would the temp display on the dashboard go out?

·
Registered
191 Posts
its been a while but let me chime in , I went in on the FB Group Buy for the android 10.2" screen unit and paid ( i think ) $460 or $465 , I was in the 2nd batch , Install was a breeze but thats about the only thing thats good about this unit. Like john666 mentions HVAC touch controls are lagging and are displayed in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit which makes it a little less forgiving in temperature as you so you are adjusting the temp by almost 2 degrees F with every click, say you start of on 56F then its 58f, 60f ,62f ( even though its only showing you 1 in c adjustment ) its kind of annoying and i think inaccurate because the temps seem to be all over the place really. not only that but when you are going up or down on temp adjustment it skips temps for example if i start of at 21c then go up to 22 then 23 then it will lag when i press up it will show 23 even though its 24 then it will skip 25 again and then it will show 26 so it dosnt display temps between 24-25c. thats one issue , second issue is the unit is generally slow and not very accurate when youre trying to control it while in the driver seat driving. Another issue i was having was with a GPS app called WAZE , gps would work fine for about 25-30 minutes then would freeze up , now you have too reboot the whole thing while youre driving and go through the process of typing in the address again to get the GPS back on track , not a fun thing to do. Ive had the unit kick me out of apps and freeze several times especially while using Pandora and YouTube. Sometimes it just kicks me out of them to home screen , other times it reboots completely ( android boot screen ) One of my biggest dislikes is the hot spot connectivity. I connect the unit to my iphone 7 plus with the personal hot spot option so i can have internet radio , it works fine , as soon as i turn the car off and get out of the car to say pump fuel or run into a gas station or what not the connection is gone and i have to go through the pairing process all over again. Also the radio bezel feels out of place due to the fact the matching woodgrain/steel trim part is black, if it were fully functional unit and didnt have so many issues i wouldnt mind the trim color but with all the issues that this unit has and the price you have to pay for a non functional android headache you are better of saving that money and doing a double din NOT A CUBBY HOLE hole install with a quality brand name touch screen headunit.

~De5

Thanks, this was very helpful, addressed most of what I had doubts about in my mind.

Early on in owning my 07 TSX, I tried a double DIN head unit with the only aftermarket radio harness I could find for this car, by Metra. It was so cheap and flimsy feeling, with weak plastic and rubbery buttons, and the HVAC controls were terrible - both in terms of the feel of them and their operation.

I went back to the stock head unit and added the "iPod adapter" and a 30 pin to Lightning adapter to use my iPhone. Yeah, so I don't have a touchscreen, but I can use my phone for a maps app and music and that's all I need.

I was hoping this one would work better, but it seems like not really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Android Car Radio dash replacement

I came onto this forum to see if there was anyone else looking at this. I found them for sale on AliExpress.com (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-1inch-Android-6-0-Car-Radio-Stereo-For-Acura-TSX-2004-2008-GPS-Navigation-Support/32851863651.html) and they are about $500-600 depending on the store and the options you get. The thing I was excited about was adding a front dash cam, and rear backup camera to take advantage of the screen. I am a bit leery about tearing out my stock stereo etc. as it works fine, and I have a GTA Car Kits bluetooth already installed which has given me no issues. It sounds like the temperature controls are a bit laggy from the customer reviews, and generally the complaints are around Android OS being a bit clunky with the apps used for music or gps. I was also concerned about how well the plastic matched the interior, and the fit. I am going to see if I can find anyone local that I can actually take a look at one in person before ordering myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one, pretty easy installation, i boot it up before finishing the installation, hvac is little bit laggy but works, got the radio work, sound is good. So i did finish the install. I tried youtube, got no sound, mp3, video, streaming app, only the radio give me sound. Got any idea ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought one, pretty easy installation, i boot it up before finishing the installation, hvac is little bit laggy but works, got the radio work, sound is good. So i did finish the install. I tried youtube, got no sound, mp3, video, streaming app, only the radio give me sound. Got any idea ?
where did you purchase yours from? i checked ebay and the only seller that has it doesnt have any in stock anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you purchase yours from? i checked ebay and the only seller that has it doesnt have any in stock anymore.
I'm new to the TSX, but was chatting with a FB member about this radio solution. He was pretty knowledgable about it and linked me to the AliExpress site where they can be ordered from. I didn't purchase one yet, but at the time (late January) they were discounted to $375ish. Looks like it's full price again though. https://tinyurl.com/y3azpcaj

For all it's quirks, it seems like the best option to bring the 1G TSX into today's phone/radio functionality. Any iPhone users try the usb dongle from Amazon to emulate carplay with the android radio?

I may try a simple video relay from Naviks to the navi screen just to show the iPhone CarPlay on the OEM screen, and use the phone to navigate, but the android radio with iPhone usb plug-in seems tempting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm about to buy a 08 tsx with nav and here is what i'm wondering. I do see how there is a lag in some of the apps in this unit, I'm wondering if there is room for improvement. For those of you that have it, is the HVAC control an app? if so, can it be download if I was to flash the unit with a newer/faster android system? I can't think of anything else that is specific to this car other than the HVAC app. Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i bought the white usb box to mirror iphone, couldn't figure it out. im guessing needs newer android version. Was considering flashing unit also but not trying to brick the thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you try with Android auto? Was considering doing this myself and yeah flashing it can be pretty risky because you basically don't have a recovery option

21 - 40 of 48 Posts