Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 18x8 +38 wheels that i'm ready to install onto the car but i'm having a difficult time deciding between the 235/40s and the 225/40s

The car is a daily driver and it's lowered to where there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the stock tire and the fender.
I'm not opposed to the idea of a mild fender roll, however i do not want to flare the fenders, or run an aggressive camber due tot he car being my daily driver.

Question is, would a 225/40 be more well suited for a setup like mine, and if so would the 225/40s look stretched on the 18x8 wheel?
Or could it be possible to run the 235/40s (which I would preffer) for the added comfort and lip protection without resorting to pulling the fender or running aggressive camber?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Going from stock 17's to 18's is going to increase the wheel gap so my vote would go for 235/40 and maybe a slight fender roll.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm running 18x8 wheels with 225/40 michelin pilot sports and they dont stretch at all. I think you can go 8.5 and still really see no stretch with these tires. From what I've read though its all about the brand of tire. Some are better at stretching than others. Im glad mine really dont cause Im not big on the stretch look even though Im looking at a wider wheels at the moment.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I would run the 235's.
Im running 18x8 +35 with 225/40's and I regret not getting 235's. The tires dont have enough sidewall on them. I had my fenders rolled, but I didnt really need to. Although for the front with 235's a mild fender roll will be needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys!

Going from stock 17's to 18's is going to increase the wheel gap so my vote would go for 235/40 and maybe a slight fender roll.
I'm running tein's street advance coils, so ride height could be adjusted if needed, though I do like the idea of a taller sidewall.

I'm running 18x8 wheels with 225/40 michelin pilot sports and they dont stretch at all. I think you can go 8.5 and still really see no stretch with these tires. From what I've read though its all about the brand of tire. Some are better at stretching than others. Im glad mine really dont cause Im not big on the stretch look even though Im looking at a wider wheels at the moment.
what offset are you running? Any rubbing?

I would run the 235's.
Im running 18x8 +35 with 225/40's and I regret not getting 235's. The tires dont have enough sidewall on them. I had my fenders rolled, but I didnt really need to. Although for the front with 235's a mild fender roll will be needed.
what tire brand/model are
you running?

I was thinking of getting Continental DWS tires or the Primacy MXM4s, any idea as of how wide/narrow these run compared to other brands?

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
The Continental DWS tires run big. They'd probably fit more like a true 245

The Michelin MXM4 (Pilot sport 2 i believe) run bigger than the pilot sport as well. (by experience)

SMALL:
Falken ST115
Falken ZE-512
Falken FK451 (D)
Fuzion ZRi
Venezia Crusade
Nankang NS-II

TRUE:
Nitto 555 Extreme
Michelin Pilot Sport
Dunlop SP Sport
Hankook 104
Toyo T1S
Toyo Proxy 4
Yokohama S.Drive
Avon Tech M500
Nitto Neo テク Gen
Ultrac Giugiaro
Nexen N3000
Dunlop Sportmaxx
Achilles ATR Sport
Bridgestone RE050A Run Flat

LARGE:
Continental Contisport
BF Goodrich g-Force KDW
General UHP
Bridgestone S03
Kumho SPT
Federal ss595
Pirelli P-Zero Line
Goodyear F1 Line
Falken FK452
Cooper Zeon 2XS
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Proxes T1R
Wanli S-1099
Nitto Invo
Wanli S-1088
Marshall Power Racer
Kumho Ecsta AST
Potenza RE-11

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
FYI I'm running Kumho Ecsta ASX's which run a bit wider.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No rubbing 18x8+46 on 225/40/18. I have the neuspeed cup kit with the sport springs with perches in front at second from the bottom and the rear perches at lowest.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
I have the exact same specs and the front did rub slightly for a while. It goes away after about two weeks and only on big bumps on road. I had tein ss back when i first mounted the wheels.
Here is a pic on 225/40/18 yokohama c drives.
I DD the car also and i personally would stick to the 225s :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the exact same specs and the front did rub slightly for a while. It goes away after about two weeks and only on big bumps on road. I had tein ss back when i first mounted the wheels.
Here is a pic on 225/40/18 yokohama c drives.
I DD the car also and i personally would stick to the 225s :)

that's looks great, it's exactly the suspension height I'm aiming for as well.

are those wheels +38?
were your fenders rolled?
how much camber are you running?
were the 225 Yokos stretched on the 8 in wide wheel?

sorry for all the questions LOL

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
im running 17x8 +35 right now with 235/45/17 lowered pretty low on the coilovers and i have no issues and i'm not rolling any fenders with Continental tires

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
that's looks great, it's exactly the suspension height I'm aiming for as well.

are those wheels +38?
were your fenders rolled?
how much camber are you running?
were the 225 Yokos stretched on the 8 in wide wheel?

sorry for all the questions LOL
No not stretched at all.
Im running stock camber settings front and rear.
Fenders were rolled cos i got a deal but not necessary i wouldnt imagine.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
By the way they are 18x8 +38 front and rear.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Heres 18x8+35 with 225/40/18 Kuhmo ASX's

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
The Continental DWS tires run big. They'd probably fit more like a true 245
Who told you that? I never heard that. Aren't sizes standardized? Especially on popular tires like these? Mine fit and look good to me. My speedometer confirms this, compared to stock.

The only downside to 235/40 vs. 225/40 I can think of, is gas mileage. Even though my Mugen/Conti DWS setup is a full 8 lbs. lighter per corner than the stock setup, I took a slight but noticeable MPG hit with the wider 235 tire.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
I would imagine it could be due to the strength of the side walls, which will govern the final fit particularly with a stretched setup?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts