Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Name's Brandon. I own an '05 boosted s2k. My wife's the '08 TSX owner. She is finally starting to want to get into the car scene and I couldn't be happier.

On to the topic at hand. She wants the car lowered and wants wheels. I've been doing a lot of reseach and I believe that the 18x9s +32 offset will fit and be flush which is what she wants. I just want to confirm that and be 100% sure before she pulls the trigger on the wheels. She'll be running a 235/40/18 (continental DWS) which is very close to the OEM size tire.

She has Koni Yellows and an Eibach Pro kit waiting to be installed when we get the wheels and tires. I know I'll have to roll the fenders so that's not a big deal to me. I also have read that we will need a rear camber kit too, so we'll add that to the list.

Now, to be a little more clear... We are not looking for the hellaflush, dumpped or whatever fad look. We just want the wheels to be flush with the fender lip with a minimal amount of camber, like 1-2 degrees.

So, if you guys could help me by confirming that this will be all ok, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice, I'll tell you, building for the lady is an interesting adventure. .Good you're going with a more conservative suspension than coilovers. :laugh:

Great tire, clean size. Not sure you'll need a rear camber kit, especially if you roll the fenders and not slam.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
That setup is a bit more aggresive than flush.

A 8" wheel with 38-40m offset is flush with the stock fender. That is my setup plus I have 225 tires.. Youll probably be fine with rolled fenders but will will protrude just a tad with 235s.

Setup should work fine but Id say its a tad aggresive for the 1st gen tsx.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. zhieson, care to post up some pics of your fitment? I have a few pics of a 17x9 +35 and that seems to fit well enough, I can't see 3mm being that big of a deal.

I need concrete evidence. The same wheel she wants is offered in a 18x8.5 +45... I just don't know if that will be right were we want it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
No kidding. Well lower you go, inherently pick up some negative camber. But you may want adjustment to get it dialed in nicely. Should look good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
supafamous FTW. Wow... Glad I decided to join this forum and ask. I'd have been pissed had we gotten the 18x9 +32s. They would have been way further out than I originally thought.

Like I said, we will be lowering it, but we are going to aim for as close as possible to the stock alignment setting as we can in hopes of keeping the tires longer.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'll post up pics once everything is done up. It won't be for another month at least though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
supafamous FTW. Wow... Glad I decided to join this forum and ask. I'd have been pissed had we gotten the 18x9 +32s. They would have been way further out than I originally thought.

Like I said, we will be lowering it, but we are going to aim for as close as possible to the stock alignment setting as we can in hopes of keeping the tires longer.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'll post up pics once everything is done up. It won't be for another month at least though.
Negative camber has very little effect on tire wear unless it is extraordinarily excessive (only because it wears unevenly). Toe is the real problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I know that, but I bet with the +32s we would have had a lot of negative camber and she would have had uneven tire wear (inside vs oustide).

I know it may not seem like it, but I know a lot about alignment settings. I track my s2000.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, I know that, but I bet with the +32s we would have had a lot of negative camber and she would have had uneven tire wear (inside vs oustide).

I know it may not seem like it, but I know a lot about alignment settings. I track my s2000.
I'm not accusing you of not knowing, just saying (though I would be surprised if you needed excessive camber). I run ~-2.5 front and ~-1.6 rear on the WRX; wear is a non-issue. I can't say what the TSX is, been awhile since an alignment. Need to have spacers made and install camber arms, we'll go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, zulu, didn't mean it like that. I just didn't want to waste new tires too soon. (overly cautious???)

I just put tires on her stock 17s, so the less we spend on tires the better. Lord knows I don't help the tire situation either.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd say overly cautious, but go with what you're comfortable with, that's all that matters. You'll be very happy with the tires in terms of performance and wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

Just to let you guys know, we went with the 18x8.5 +45. She got them today. Too bad we have to wait about a month to put everything on... I was nervious that they wouldn't have at least a flat face but they do. The place we got them from even sent us free hub centric rings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts