Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TsX Newbee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to say that this is my first post ever on this forum and I wanted to thank everyone for their informative posts. Ok, I have a problem. I just purchased a set of 19x8 Racing Hart C4's (offset +44) and the tires that the rim guy told me to get was 215/35/19. After driving home, I looked at it again and noticed that the edge of the rim protruded out akwardly because it seemed like the tires were too narrow, as if there were no sidewalls and the slightess bump on a pothole would damage the lip. So I did some research and tried finding the widest possible fitment and came to a conclusion that it seems like 235/35/19 would fit for sure but it is also possible to fit 245/35/19. Any suggestions on what size I should go with to maximize my sidewall?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Your sidewall is determined by this bold digit - 215/35/19 ... If you want to "increase" or expand your sidewall, that number would have to go up.

·
TsX Newbee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the fender?

Do you think if I go with 235/40/19, the tire might rub on the fender or the inner wheel well when I turn?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Noel said:
Your sidewall is determined by this bold digit - 215/35/19 ... If you want to "increase" or expand your sidewall, that number would have to go up.
That's only partially true. The middle number is the aspect ratio which is percentage of the width of the tire. Thus, the sidewall of a 235-35-19 tire IS taller than a 215-35-19 sidewall.

The 215-35-19 sidewall is 215 mm x 35% = 75.25 mm tall
The 235-35-19 sidewall is 235 mm x 35% = 82.25 mm tall

When upgrading to a larger rim, you should try to match the diameter of the stock wheel as close as possible. The diameter of the stock 215-50-17 tire is 25.46". Therefore, the closest match would be 235-35-19 which would have a diameter of 25.47".

The 235-40-19 is 26.40" tall which is significantly taller than stock and, while this will increase the height of the sidewall, it will also throw off other stuff like your speedometer, mileage counter, etc.

Bottomline = get the 235-35-19. It will give you a taller sidewall AND equal to stock rolling diameter.

·
TsX Newbee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woo-Hoo!

Wow! Alter Zgo, I just want to say big thanks to you because that is THE Best answer I have ever heard backed up by a great and clear explanation. I've been lookin' and lookin' for the best size and I guess your opinion is what I will go with ===> 235/35/19. One last question for ya, I know you did say that going with 245/35/19 will throw off the odometer and stuff, but I know I can get the speed readings readjusted. The only thing I am worried about is whether it will affect my turns and ride performance when I am truckin' extra passengers. Do you think this will happen?

Once again, much thanks Alter Zgo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No problem. IMO, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in ride quality btw a 245-35-19 and a 235-35-19 tire. I don't have a TSX yet, but from my reading of the various forums, it seems 235 is about the widest tire people use. I think 245s will increase the chance of your tire rubbing the wheel well - especially if you intend to lower the car.

In terms of handling, 245s may have marginally better grip. But, the 235s may have marginally better turn in b/c its sidewall is a bit shorter.

Another thing to consider - 235s are just about perfect on an 8" wide rim. 245s can fit an 8" rim, but it will look pretty bulged out. This may be helpful for extra rim protection, but the extra width may also cause a greater likelihood of tire clearance issues.

Which all goes back to ... get the 235-35-19s.

·
TsX Newbee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record, I went with 245/35/19

To Noel and Alter Zgo, thanks for your opinions. Yesterday, I went to a Tire Warehouse and the salesguy actually was nice enough to try on both sizes (235/35/19 and 245/35/19) to let me see if there would be any problems on the TSX fender. After examining both, I chose the 245/35/19 because it looked so much better on the car. The sidewall wasn't bulgy and all and the fender gap seemed to fill a little better. Sportier, I guess. As for the driving, I have driven it for a day so far and all is good. I will try to get some pics up for you guys. Woo-Hoo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts