Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , long story short this car has seen a lot of problems. now my main issue is that the nav unit in the trunk died, and the replacement is costly for something that will have outdated maps.

AC works fine with Auto button and can control temperatures and radio still, as the screen on top of the dash (the small one with the clock) shows the information, however that empty screen in the center of the dash is well, just ther doingnothing. I was wondering if there is any android auto unit that could be installed on the trunk and use hte same screen display and still be able to control the HVAC and other stuff? or any full replacement ?

Found one on amazon but seems weird and no idea how to install it or if it will actually work with the HVAC nad others. has anyone replaced their nav unit with an android auto , if such how was it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pull the unit from the trunk and open the metal box; look for a fuse, chances are that's the problem. You can buy a new disc with the latest maps and it will work with your system, just make sure you buy it OEM, not from some Chinese guy in a mud hut in Shenzen province...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the unit from the trunk and open the metal box; look for a fuse, chances are that's the problem. You can buy a new disc with the latest maps and it will work with your system, just make sure you buy it OEM, not from some Chinese guy in a mud hut in Shenzen province...
The nav unit turns on. But has no display at all, if I put a CD in it, it opens and closes the tray. But I don't hear it even try to spin the CD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The nav unit turns on. But has no display at all, if I put a CD in it, it opens and closes the tray. But I don't hear it even try to spin the CD.
The disc is belt-driven and the belt is either thrown (hit a big bump?) or broken/dry-rotted with age.

Take it out of the trunk, open it up and take a look - you'd be amazed at how simple the system is (other than the electronics, which is usually on one board).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The disc is belt-driven and the belt is either thrown (hit a big bump?) or broken/dry-rotted with age.

Take it out of the trunk, open it up and take a look - you'd be amazed at how simple the system is (other than the electronics, which is usually on one board).
I alreayd tried this, but the unit wont open :) I have it on my office desk with al screws out but it is so old I am scared of breaking it if I attempt to open it .

Now my focus changed I am hearing a humming noise inside the car, the mechanic confirmed it is the transmission. No idea what hte cost of the tranmission repair would be, the car is about 168 thousand miles now and still drives nice but that humming noise is quite annoying at highway speeds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I alreayd tried this, but the unit wont open :) I have it on my office desk with al screws out but it is so old I am scared of breaking it if I attempt to open it .

Now my focus changed I am hearing a humming noise inside the car, the mechanic confirmed it is the transmission. No idea what hte cost of the tranmission repair would be, the car is about 168 thousand miles now and still drives nice but that humming noise is quite annoying at highway speeds.
Does the noise change in pitch as you increase in speed? If it's especially annoying at highway speeds, it sounds like it does?

If your car is the more common 5A variety (five speed automatic transmission), what about trying to drive in other drive modes (like 1, 2, 3 instead of D - well, not 1 or 2 at highway speeds...)? Does the car feel like it's driving differently in addition to making the sound (less power)?

What about in reverse (again, not at highway speeds, LOL)? Does it only make noise in a forward gear?

Did the mechanic say what he thought was wrong with the transmission, or simply identify the transmission as the source of the noise? It could be that a transmission fluid flush would help. Or maybe you're SOL and are looking at major transmission work of one kind or another that would probably run you $1500 or so, depending on where you are and what exactly is wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So , long story short this car has seen a lot of problems. now my main issue is that the nav unit in the trunk died, and the replacement is costly for something that will have outdated maps.

AC works fine with Auto button and can control temperatures and radio still, as the screen on top of the dash (the small one with the clock) shows the information, however that empty screen in the center of the dash is well, just ther doingnothing. I was wondering if there is any android auto unit that could be installed on the trunk and use hte same screen display and still be able to control the HVAC and other stuff? or any full replacement ?

Found one on amazon but seems weird and no idea how to install it or if it will actually work with the HVAC nad others. has anyone replaced their nav unit with an android auto , if such how was it?
I would STRONGLY recommend this android Unit.
It is completely plug and play the only wiring would be for a rear view camera if you go for one. The unit will control AC. Recognize steering input and you will have any navigation you want.

10.1inch Android 6.0 Car Radio DVD Stereo For For Acura TSX 2004-2008 GPS Navigation Support Steering Wheel control full touch.
Sorry is my 1st time posting and I can't make the link go through but is on Amazon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts