Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, 1st post here. First off hello, i am 16 and planning to get my first car. I realize how privilged i am that my family is well to do enough to buy me a new car and hope i do not get flamed for posting this.
The budget my father has given me is under $30,000 (yes yes i know, thats way too much for a new licence) but i feel mature enough to handel a car of this budget.
Having been raised in a auomotively intune family, i realize i have many options. Not to sound vain, i do believe i have acquired a fine taste for automoiles from my father. Our family car is the Audi RS6 and my father's "fun" car is a Porche Boxster S. Both of which i drive on a regular basis (infact, the Boxter is where i learned manual transmission.
Now with that bit of background info in mind, i give you my possile options :
Acura RSX S
Acura TSX
Honda S2000
Mini Cooper S
Mazdaspeed Protege
Mazda RX8
Subaru WRX
VW Golf GTI 1.8t
all of which i have test driven except the TSX.
For now, i have pretty much ruled out the 2000 and the RX8 (although they have great performance) because they exceed the budget when well equiped and are far too showy for my use. The 2000 also lacks practicality.

Now my important question, how does the TSX compare with the remaning? I know it has high quality but how does it perform? I have read all the mag. reviews and they are not conclusive enough. Does the car really lack power? How does it handle compared to the others especially the RSX? Are the seats supportive enough for hard cornering? Do aftermarket suspension upgrades have dramatic improvememts? Same goes for power?

Anyhow, sorry for the long post and the many questions. Thank you for your time reading and your input will be greatly appreciated.

-Nick

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
You can take the mini Cooper off the list.. You can just get a bike instead not a big difference between the 2.

Anyways sorry to hate on the mini cooper great car overall but it is too small and driving next to a truck just feels like he cant see you! :D

Do you need a 4 door car or a 2 door car?

TSX is not a car to get if you are looking to race it every weekend..
I am sure you know that since you have a Boxster in the family.

As most people on this board would probobly say TSX is a great everyday car.

The Interior is one of the best in its class.

Suspension is good but can be improved with aftermarket lowering springs and a sway bar. Then you can corner all you want.

As far as performance the 6 speed is quick and responsive.. Ones a supercharger is out that will change everything for this car.

Highspeeds the car is Amazing. Handles very well even over 110+mph.

As far as Improving power Cold Air Intake + Exhaust alone improves the cars performance and you feel it right away.

RSX is a great car except I hate 2 doors though its a hassle when someone needs to stand up from the front to let someone get in the back.. RSX Performs alittle better but the interior is nothing compared to the TSX's!

MazdaSpeed - Looks great but I would never buy a mazda again! Had a 626 very long time ago broke down very often and motor sounded like it had a very loud exhaust at 122k.

Hondas-Acuras are known to last very long time so if you get an RSX, TSX, S2000 they will last you a very long time and keep a good value if you wish to sell.

Subaru WRX this car is a monster cant compare it to the TSX but its an overall good car to own! I dont know about everyday driving though..

VW Golf GTI 1.8t never drove one someone else here may know more about this car.

Last suggestion TEST drive the tsx see how it goes and let us know.

my 2 cents

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Nick,

First welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy the witty banter and "unbiased" opinions you will no doubt receive.

With that said, I have a tough time believing you are asking strangers for their advice? I suspect that since you say you are 16, you already have some preconceived ideas as to which car you will buy and maybe just "fishing" for confirmation?

Either way, to your credit at least you are here and asking for advice. Hopefully, you are open to different opinions and viewpoints?

For what it's worth, if you were a "normal 16 year old" and were not born of "privileged means" my recommendation to you would
be to get a used Volvo. After you stop laughing I will tell you why.

As most guys know, when you're born you start out with a blank slate. As you get a little older and the testerone starts to kick in, trouble begins. You accept stupid dares from "friends" and you believe you're immortal. Pretty soon, your racing to impress your firends (male and female) and before you know it, your in over your head. You're pushing everything to the limit and want to know things like "how fast can I really take this turn?" Or, hey watch this, "I bet I can blow the doors off this clown." C'mon guys, sound familar!?

Which brings us back to your original question you raised which is "how does the TSX compare with the remaning?" Since you will inevitably do what your family allows you to, my advice to you is to get the TSX. Not because it is especially superior to any of the to other cars in any key area, but because it is most likely safer than the others. The unfortunate truth of the matter is at your age, it won't be a matter of "if" you have an accident, but "when."

I am not saying this because I believe you are poor driver or due to your family's affluence. It is a statistic that any insurance company will willingly quote for you. Based on actuarials and statistics, you are in an age group that is the most prone to being involved in an accident. And to add to that, many of those accidents involve fatalaties. I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm trying to explain why I believe putting you into an Acura RSX, Honda S2000, Mini Cooper S, Mazdaspeed Protege, Mazda RX8, etc. is like giving a 5 year old a loaded gun to play with. The temptation to speed would be inescapable.

So, since you won't be looking at any used Volvos any time soon and given the large and generours endowment your family is offering you. IMHO, you need the safest vehicle that you won't be ashamed to drive. With the choices you offered; I'd say go with the TSX. You won't be disappointed, especially with the 6-speed. It's no slug, it's solid, handles great, very reliable and fun to drive.

Sorry for the long post and being too "preachy", but my nephews are the same age as you and I've already given them the same advice (believe it or not, some people actually believe that I know what I am talking about). Unfortunately for them, their parent's budget is not as generous. The best they can hope for is pretend their in a TSX when they are driving their 5 year old beat up Volvo. BTW, welcome to the forum ;)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
hip said:
Nick,

First welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy the witty banter and "unbiased" opinions you will no doubt receive.

With that said, I have a tough time believing you are asking strangers for their advice? I suspect that since you say you are 16, you already have some preconceived ideas as to which car you will buy and maybe just "fishing" for confirmation?

Either way, to your credit at least you are here and asking for advice. Hopefully, you are open to different opinions and viewpoints?

For what it's worth, if you were a "normal 16 year old" and were not born of "privileged means" my recommendation to you would
be to get a used Volvo. After you stop laughing I will tell you why.

As most guys know, when you're born you start out with a blank slate. As you get a little older and the testerone starts to kick in, trouble begins. You accept stupid dares from "friends" and you believe you're immortal. Pretty soon, your racing to impress your firends (male and female) and before you know it, your in over your head. You're pushing everything to the limit and want to know things like "how fast can I really take this turn?" Or, hey watch this, "I bet I can blow the doors off this clown." C'mon guys, sound familar!?

Which brings us back to your original question you raised which is "how does the TSX compare with the remaning?" Since you will inevitably do what your family allows you to, my advice to you is to get the TSX. Not because it is especially superior to any of the to other cars in any key area, but because it is most likely safer than the others. The unfortunate truth of the matter is at your age, it won't be a matter of "if" you have an accident, but "when."

I am not saying this because I believe you are poor driver or due to your family's affluence. It is a statistic that any insurance company will willingly quote for you. Based on actuarials and statistics, you are in an age group that is the most prone to being involved in an accident. And to add to that, many of those accidents involve fatalaties. I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm trying to explain why I believe putting you into an Acura RSX, Honda S2000, Mini Cooper S, Mazdaspeed Protege, Mazda RX8, etc. is like giving a 5 year old a loaded gun to play with. The temptation to speed would be inescapable.

So, since you won't be looking at any used Volvos any time soon and given the large and generours endowment your family is offering you. IMHO, you need the safest vehicle that you won't be ashamed to drive. With the choices you offered; I'd say go with the TSX. You won't be disappointed, especially with the 6-speed. It's no slug, it's solid, handles great, very reliable and fun to drive.

Sorry for the long post and being too "preachy", but my nephews are the same age as you and I've already given them the same advice (believe it or not, some people actually believe that I know what I am talking about). Unfortunately for them, their parent's budget is not as generous. The best they can hope for is pretend their in a TSX when they are driving their 5 year old beat up Volvo. BTW, welcome to the forum ;)
Words of wisdom!!!!! :sprint:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys for the welcome and opinions. Trust me when i say i have had the saftey talk millions of times and i do realize the temptation of speed is a dangerous one. As for the statistics, i know them rather well also. I live in a "expensive" neighborhood if you will and the insurance for me will be well over $2000 a year.

Peer pressure is bad but i would like to believe i am not one who would give in as easily. Cars are ment to be pampered and treated as a privlege so i have no concious intention to hurt my car, myself or anyonelse.

The reason i looked into the TSX was for the tamed and mature styling that can remind me that i am no speed racer and yet at the same time, when i am behind the wheel i have an enjoyable drive. Versus the RSX type "S" which would give me a stronger urge to do something stupid. Also, i have faith in the TSX that after a few mods, it will be a highly satisfactory drive. After all, it is the incarnation of the Euro "R" and Honda doesnt put an R on a car for no reason.

Honestly, i have no idea what car i will end up getting and i was just seeking some outside input. You guys have been up most helpful and i am very open to some more feedback.
Before i sign off for now, i would like to share a little motto i have gathered form my short experience behind the wheel.
"It takes a fast car to go in a straight line but it takes a fast driver to turn."

Thats bout it and thanks again
-Nick

P.S. I did not include Nissans and Bimmers because the Z and the 325 or 330 is out of my price range. My falther has also had bad experoences with BMWs.
As for the Mercedez C320, well its supreme quality but it is a bit dull of a car. But the AMG C32 is another story, HAHA! drool...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts